• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ryancampbell

ryancampbell

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:36 AM

I've been thinking of putting this together for my next trip. I really enjoy the natural light results using a red/amber filter but you have to take it off for strobe shots. When using a dome port you can't use a wet filter, so you're stuck deciding topside if you're doing flash or not for the whole day. This has been what's keeping me from using a dome.

I was thinking that if I used a mild red filter like a Wratten 85 or other magic filter equivalent combined with a blue diffuser on the strobes such as the Inon -.5 blue I could minimize the strobe issue. The effective power of the strobe would be cut significantly since you're filtering out a lot of what is getting output, but I'm guessing this would only matter in a few situations.

Anyone ever try this? Thoughts?

#2 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2139 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 09 December 2010 - 07:06 AM

I guess that it might work, with some experimentation to get the right filters. I wouldn't do it myself, though: I have always found that setting up to take a single kind of image gives much better results than being flexible, when I don't quite hit the high spots...

Tim

:)

#3 ryancampbell

ryancampbell

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 11:40 AM

when I don't quite hit the high spots...

Yeah, I completely agreee with the logic. I guess I'm on the border of "serious" photographer and vaction shooter. I only get in 20 or 30 dives a year and I hate it when I don't have the right lens to capture the momement when that manta ray flies by or I spot a cool pygmy seahorse. On the other hand, I do frame some of my better shots and I'm pretty proud of some that are hanging by request in other people's houses. So I'm still trying to create that "magic" camera that can:

• Have good ISO 400+ quality
  • Filter blue light on demand
  • Macro on demand
  • Wide angle on demand
Maybe I should look at this as a business opportunity :)