• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 focker

focker

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 06:24 PM

Note: I tried to do a search on this but the forum software didn't dig those three letter search terms :)

I am wondering how many of you shoot straight RAW and which of you shoot RAW + jpg. Any case for doing one over the other?
Nauticam 550 w/ T2i - Zen 100 - Inon Z240 - Tokina 10-17 - Canon 60mm - Sola 600

#2 Captain_Caveman

Captain_Caveman

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 06:01 AM

Just RAW.

JPEG is a lossy format and only of use as presentable final image.

IMO if you're happy that your JPEG is good to go straight out the camera, well go for it. Otherwise, RAW is the only thing you should be dealing with, the JPEG is just taking up space.

I use...

Canon 5d2
Aquatica Housing
8" Dome
Sigma 15mm
Sola lights

~ Canon 24-70 f/2.8 L - Canon 70-200 IS f/2.8 L - Canon 50 f/1.8 ~

~ Canon 350D - Canon G9 - Canon 430 EX ~

#3 londonsean69

londonsean69

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Photography, Building a kit car, Pub

Posted 08 December 2010 - 11:21 AM

Note: I tried to do a search on this but the forum software didn't dig those three letter search terms :)

I am wondering how many of you shoot straight RAW and which of you shoot RAW + jpg. Any case for doing one over the other?

RAW. I don't find it any hardship dealing with RAW, as I have import presets etc. stored in LightRoom, so a lot of the processing work is done on import.

As an aside, to search for 3 letter terms, use an asterisk. E.g. to search for RAW, search RAW* :)
Toys - D90, Tokina 10-17, 60 macro, 105 macro, Ike housing, 2xYS110

#4 focker

focker

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 04:29 PM

Thanks for the tip on searching, clearly I needed the assistance.

One of the reasons I was asking about this is that I read some folks start with a .jpg import when they shoot RAW+jpg and then can quickly throw out the bad shots and only have Aperture import the matching good shots on a second pass.
Nauticam 550 w/ T2i - Zen 100 - Inon Z240 - Tokina 10-17 - Canon 60mm - Sola 600

#5 londonsean69

londonsean69

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Photography, Building a kit car, Pub

Posted 09 December 2010 - 01:00 AM

Thanks for the tip on searching, clearly I needed the assistance.

One of the reasons I was asking about this is that I read some folks start with a .jpg import when they shoot RAW+jpg and then can quickly throw out the bad shots and only have Aperture import the matching good shots on a second pass.

No idea on Aperture, as I use LR.

FWIW I'm never in any mad rush to get everything downloaded off the cards. I will import a card and have LR render previews while I go off and make a coffee. It's pretty quick, and as I take a netbook on the road with me, I can leave things downloading and rendering while I have some dinner.

Shooting RAW exclusively certainly adds a couple of extra steps to the workflow, but by setting up imort presets and develop presets etc. a lot of it is done automatically.

I like RAW because it give me the greatest lattitude in developing a shot, especially as I am a new UW photographer, and might not always get the exposure nailed
Toys - D90, Tokina 10-17, 60 macro, 105 macro, Ike housing, 2xYS110

#6 Balrog

Balrog

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 02:40 AM

If you shoot raw only and want to review on your PC before importing to processing software, you might find it helpful to download the camera manufacturer's codec which allows raw files to be displayed in the standard windows viewer.

eg for canon - http://software.cano...9964.asp?model=

Edited by Balrog, 09 December 2010 - 02:41 AM.

#7 focker

focker

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 08:39 AM

If you shoot raw only and want to review on your PC before importing to processing software, you might find it helpful to download the camera manufacturer's codec which allows raw files to be displayed in the standard windows viewer.

eg for canon - http://software.cano...9964.asp?model=

What is this PC stuff you speak of? I have a Mac LOL :)

I did look for the Codec for Mac and haven't found it yet but I am sure it exist if I hunt around a bit more. Probably would be a storage space saver on the card to just record RAW but I will have to see how much space is really taken up on the card after our first dives with the new rig next month.

#8 Captain_Caveman

Captain_Caveman

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 04:26 PM

What is this PC stuff you speak of? I have a Mac LOL :)

I did look for the Codec for Mac and haven't found it yet but I am sure it exist if I hunt around a bit more. Probably would be a storage space saver on the card to just record RAW but I will have to see how much space is really taken up on the card after our first dives with the new rig next month.

What OS\Camera RAW are you running? You should just be able to press Space Bar for a preview on a MAC.

Simplicity itself.

I use...

Canon 5d2
Aquatica Housing
8" Dome
Sigma 15mm
Sola lights

~ Canon 24-70 f/2.8 L - Canon 70-200 IS f/2.8 L - Canon 50 f/1.8 ~

~ Canon 350D - Canon G9 - Canon 430 EX ~

#9 focker

focker

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 06:26 PM

What OS\Camera RAW are you running? You should just be able to press Space Bar for a preview on a MAC.

Simplicity itself.

I have OSX 10.6 running. I didn't know I could view RAW in Preview, that is sweet! Just to explain the questions, I am setting up an underwater system to give my wife for her birthday and I assume she will want my assistance in choosing to use RAW or jpg for her stuff.
Up until now she has always just used .jpg and made her corrections in iPhoto or if she needs more in depth editing she uses Photoshop. I installed Aperture because I was thinking she will probably want to shoot RAW and do more editing with her underwater shots. I want to make sure I guide her in the right direction to get the best results from her photos with minimal headaches/editing time.

Edited by focker, 09 December 2010 - 06:26 PM.