#1 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts
  • Interests:UW Video, UW Photography Diving, Telemark Skiing, Cycling, Travel

Posted 08 December 2010 - 02:49 PM

Hi Folks

I wanted to share with you a project I have been working on for the past 1.5 years. A few months ago we partnered with Paul Hilton and we are finally beginning to get the traction we need to do something meaningful. Our team at Wildsphere is spearing heading the production of the documentary and WildAid is on board as the partner for the campaign. We are building an advisory team composed of scientists and field researchers to ensure we get this right. The goal is to put a stop to this frightening trend.

For those of you who are not aware, manta and mobula rays are being slaughtered at unprecedented rates to satisfy a growing demand for their dried gills, used as a health tonic in China and East Asia. To learn more, go to:

Manta Ray Of Hope Website

[vimeohd]15562601[/vimeohd]

Cheers,
shawn
Canon 5D MII - Aquatica Housing - Sola 4000 Lights - Wahoo HD Monitor & Sony EX1 - Gates EX1 Housing - Fathoms UWA Lens
www.bluespheremedia.com

#2 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
  • Interests:World travel
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:30 PM

A very powerful video. Quite disturbing. I doubt if I am alone in the thought that diving with manta rays is one of the most memorable things that a diver can experience. I will never forget my first encounter years ago at Koh Bon in Thailand and will never forget every other encounter that I am fortunate enough to have had with these magnificent animals. This video just goes to show how naive some cultures are when it comes to the slaughtering of the oceans stocks

Stew

Canon 5D MK2 - Sea and Sea housed - 17-40L 100mm - Sigma 15mm FE - twin YS250 pro's and gadgets galore

http://www.euphoticzoneimaging.com

#3 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 07:44 AM

Thanks Stew and it is important work.

Question in general: Do folks know of any pacific island manta/mobula fisheries? We are familiar with the eastern and western pacific fisheries but not central?
Canon 5D MII - Aquatica Housing - Sola 4000 Lights - Wahoo HD Monitor & Sony EX1 - Gates EX1 Housing - Fathoms UWA Lens
www.bluespheremedia.com

#4 xariatay

xariatay

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 09:48 PM

For some strange reasons, I couldn't get past the 1st 45s of the video - on this page, your website & on vimeo... Something wrong with my pc?

I didn't know that that Eu Yan Sang sells parts derive from mantas, looking at the packaging (is from HK?), there is no hint of where the "medicine" comes from, I know it means fish gills... :-(
Eu Yan Sang is a Huge TCM company, since they sell the gill-rakers, should not be difficult to find it at other medical "halls". Will go take a look... Eu Yan San is listed in the Sg Exchange. They pride themselves as "a progressive, global healthcare company with a strong foundation in Traditional Chinese Medicine, we manufacture and retail traditional Chinese medicine and herbs in Hong Kong, Macau, China, Malaysia and Singapore. We also operate clinic services in Singapore, Hong Kong and Malaysia."
Help End the slaugther of Dolphins in Taiji! Petition Site
G9, UN macro lens (MIA in Buyat Bay), no strobe. My Dive Blog

#5 sasdasdaf

sasdasdaf

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Interests:Tech, wreck, cave, reef, photography

Posted 14 December 2010 - 01:26 AM

Thank you for posting that video and for your work on this. The footage of the mantas is as beautiful as the killing is disturbing. I remember each one of my manta interactions very well and they were all spectacular, magical moments. It is very sad that ignorance and selfishness is driving the manta trade and endangering these beautiful creatures.

It was only last night that I attended a wedding where shark fin soup was on the menu. :)

Nikon D7100, Nauticam NA-D7100, Sea & Sea YS-D1 strobes
http://sasdasdaf.blogspot.com/

#6 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 07:15 PM

Hi Catherine,
Very good observations and thank you for sharing this information. Please do look further and share what you have found. You can post or pm with details...all the help we can get is needed.

Sasdasdaf,
I am glad you found the video compelling. So sad that we have to combat this and shark fin soup everywhere we turn.
Cheers,
Shawn
www.bluespheremedia.com

#7 xariatay

xariatay

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:30 PM

Thank you for posting that video and for your work on this. The footage of the mantas is as beautiful as the killing is disturbing. I remember each one of my manta interactions very well and they were all spectacular, magical moments. It is very sad that ignorance and selfishness is driving the manta trade and endangering these beautiful creatures.

It was only last night that I attended a wedding where shark fin soup was on the menu. :)

sasdasdaf, did u cut the "ang bao" money to the couple? :) Refer to this Facebook -HK gift money
I avoid the rude shock by asking the couple (even cousins') before accepting banquet invitation & won't attend any that has shark fin - that made me quite unpopular but life is not a popularity contest I think...

Shawn, will start with 1 of the Eu Yan Sang outlets tonight, weekend will go around the neighbourhood... Report back when I get something...

Edited by xariatay, 14 December 2010 - 08:45 PM.

#8 xariatay

xariatay

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 07:46 PM

I finally managed to watch the whole video, it is beautiful & powerful... Am so sad & :P The beautiful manta rays that we love so much are slaughtered like cows...

Went to Eu Yan Sang & another medical hall (which is also part of a large chain), glad that they do not carry the gill rakers & the sales persons seemed like they had never heard of it yet... Will continue...

Btw, there is a petition to save the mantas in Indonesia. Manta Watch Petition. The rationale is here Indonesia's Booming Manta Ray Fisheries... Please help...

#9 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 06:07 PM

Hi Catherine,
Glad you appreciate the video and yes, very disturbing and powerful imagery...sadly this is all too common in certain locations. Any more findings on the market side would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
shawn
www.bluespheremedia.com

#10 xariatay

xariatay

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 06:28 PM

Hi! Shawn, I went to a few more medical halls & unfortunately, managed to find some manta gill rakers at 1 of the Eu Yan Sang stores in the heartlands... The sales person said they are left with 1 pack. The pack was kept in the fridge & labelled in Chinese, I think there was 300grams in that pack. Per ounce is S$21.30 (abt US$16.38)... :) :D

#11 xariatay

xariatay

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 07:53 AM

Unfortunately, more bad news. Another 2 of the EYS outlets have the manta gill rakers... Pronounced as peng2 yu2 sai1, in mandarin... All 3 packs are still sealed, guess they r not as popular as seahorses yet. And other large chains don't seem to carry them -yet..

#12 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 07:30 PM

Hi Catherine,
Thanks for the further digging. Please keep a list of locations and amounts on hand. Also, if you learn how much they are selling that would be great. Count on me contacting you for more details as the research progresses. Your help is very much appreciated...by us and the mantas!
Shawn
www.bluespheremedia.com

#13 xariatay

xariatay

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 10:11 PM

Slaughtered for the market place: Huge rise in ray hunting threatens ocean's 'gentle giants'

By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 12:14 PM on 8th March 2011

"They are known as the ocean's gentle giants, but an alarming rise in manta and mobula ray hunting could threaten the very existence of the species.

From India to Ecuador, manta and mobula fishing has become big business for fisheries who are selling their gills to be used in soups and traditional Chinese medicine.

Conservationists have warned that demand could soon rival that of the controversial shark fin trade..............................." Close to Extinction