• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#61 nathicastro

nathicastro

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 06:24 AM

I don't think L&M tested the VL1300... the light in their chart is the TL 1x30 a spot light. Apples and oranges.

Right!
I didn't realise that! It's not the same light! I just looked for 'big blue' and that was it.
Thanks for warning me...

Vl1300 is back on the game then... =D

#62 uwxplorer

uwxplorer

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 06:33 AM

I don't think L&M tested the VL1300... the light in their chart is the TL 1x30 a spot light. Apples and oranges.

I have "tested" the VL1300 (I own 2 of those) vs the Sola 1200 (which I was planning to buy but they were back-ordered when I needed them).
At least turned them on in a store and compared their projected area at ~ 3 ft (somebody was holding the Sola). The beam diameters looked similar to me but indeed the Sola's beam edge was softer and its color whiter (the VL1300 had a slight yellow hue to it compared to the Sola. But when you look at it on a white wall, it looks perfectly white. The Sola (maybe due to the whiter color?) seemed brighter to me.
The bottom line is two of these lights are sufficient in most scenarios I have encountered. However, the light is insufficient to light up foreground and background, obviously. So you will still get a well lit subject with a greenish background (if you shoot in such a way that there is a very far background).

I use the filters to protect the light in the rinse bucket or in general whenever I am not using the light. Filters absorb light, so you would end up with far less than 1300 lumens using them.

Those lights are heavier than the Sola. I commented on them here.

#63 nathicastro

nathicastro

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 03:37 PM

I have "tested" the VL1300 (I own 2 of those) vs the Sola 1200 (which I was planning to buy but they were back-ordered when I needed them).

So when you were about to buy them you had decided for the Solas over the VL1300s?

I use the filters to protect the light in the rinse bucket or in general whenever I am not using the light. Filters absorb light, so you would end up with far less than 1300 lumens using them.

Those lights are heavier than the Sola. I commented on them here.

Yeah, I saw your review about these too... Thanks for all the information... appreciate it.
And also good to know about the filters.

Kind regards,

Nathalia

#64 uwxplorer

uwxplorer

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 07:02 PM

So when you were about to buy them you had decided for the Solas over the VL1300s?

I had heard about the Sola from L&M, this forum, etc and they looked perfect for the job.
I bought one VL1300 because the deal I got made its price competitive with the Sola (and once again, my dealer could not get one at the time).
After trying it, I decided to purchase a second one (mostly to keep my rig balanced!).
I have posted an example of their use in a night dive at which showcases their coverage (I used two lights about 2 ft apart).
HTH.

#65 Long John Silver

Long John Silver

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 09:33 AM

Hi guys,

not to hijack this thread but given that the sola1200 are the market reference for this kind of lights...
Anyone has experience with the Fisheye FIX Led 1500?
I found a small review wit a sola 1200 comparison:

http://www.deepshots...dx-video-light/

I like the user rechargeable battery pack but I don't like the color temp of 8500-9000K :B):

http://www.splashuwi...led-1500dx.html

#66 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2837 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 26 August 2011 - 11:58 AM

I read the review you posted and there is one, very important point that the writer makes. Not being able to have enough charge over multiple dives is a consideration one must take seriously. For the videographer, like myself, who does not keep the lights powered up thought out the dive, only to turn them on prior to a shot, this might not become an issue but for a place like Lembeh where you are constantly finding something to film and producing more footage than is usual, then this would certainly be a real problem.
Most of the other characteristics between the two lights seem to be fairly close together but the charge issue might become a deal breaker. IMHO
Steve
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#67 Long John Silver

Long John Silver

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 02:01 PM

Most of the other characteristics between the two lights seem to be fairly close together but the charge issue might become a deal breaker. IMHO

Yeap! Having an extra battery pack ready to use is a plus.
The problem is the color temp (if it's real) 9000k is really a blue light

#68 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2837 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 26 August 2011 - 02:46 PM

I went to their website and it does say 8500-9000 k at 1500 lumens but I question the accuracy of the Kelvin rating. It is a Japanese company and they may very well have different means and standards for ratings. Reminds me of the days stereo companies were advertising amps at very high wattages but were using false ratings. 115 watts per side IPP is about 12 watts RMS which is the true standard for wattage and stereo equipment.
Steve
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#69 Long John Silver

Long John Silver

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 01:12 AM

Reminds me of the days stereo companies were advertising amps at very high wattages but were using false ratings. 115 watts per side IPP is about 12 watts RMS which is the true standard for wattage and stereo equipment.

:B):