Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
  • Interests:World travel
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 11 December 2010 - 06:26 AM

I am looking at getting Louise a Macbook pro 15". I have just been to a Mac outlet and the guy there tried to advise me to buy the i5 rather than the i7. I explained to him that Mr Louise uses a 5D MK2 and would " occasionally " edit photos and HD video footage on the Mac. He still said that all I would require would be the i5 and that I would be better off with the 17", which I would prefer Louise had, but I was looking at getting her the 15" as it was available with the i7. Is the bigger screen more important for her our :) needs or the smaller screen with the i7 processing.
Advice from Mac users gratefully received.

Stew

Canon 5D MK2 - Sea and Sea housed - 17-40L 100mm - Sigma 15mm FE - twin YS250 pro's and gadgets galore

http://www.euphoticzoneimaging.com

#2 DuncanS

DuncanS

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 06:46 AM

Mr Louise uses a 5D MK2 and would " occasionally " edit photos and HD video footage on the Mac. He still said that all I would require would be the i5 and that I would be better off with the 17", which I would prefer Louise had,

Stew

haha...sneaky sneaky.....

Using Google translate:

I have spent far too much money recently but still have spending needs and toys to get.....however the financial control division is undergoing a spending freeze. So the plan is to choose exactly what I need and with the help of a good spin doctor convince them that it is actually theirs before it disappears in a mysterious burglary never to be seen again except when I am using it......So two questions:
1. What do I need to edit stills and HD video from 5dmkII?
2. How do I convince Lou it is actually for her?

Good luck!!
Duncan

RedSeaSnapper.com

#3 focker

focker

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 09:03 AM

I am looking at getting Louise a Macbook pro 15". I have just been to a Mac outlet and the guy there tried to advise me to buy the i5 rather than the i7. I explained to him that Mr Louise uses a 5D MK2 and would " occasionally " edit photos and HD video footage on the Mac. He still said that all I would require would be the i5 and that I would be better off with the 17", which I would prefer Louise had, but I was looking at getting her the 15" as it was available with the i7. Is the bigger screen more important for her our :) needs or the smaller screen with the i7 processing.
Advice from Mac users gratefully received.

Stew

I have a 15" with the i5, 4GB RAM and I Hi-Res Anti Glare screen. I don't see any reason for the i7 because I have no issues editing in Final Cut Express and Photoshop CS3 with my current set up, however if you have the money to spend, it never hurts to have more power and/or more RAM. I personally would not want the 17" because that extra size is a pain in the ass to travel with. You should really consider packing and portability before getting the 17".
My other suggestion is unless you are in love with a glossy screen that the Hi-Res Anti Glare is a great upgrade and well worth the money.
So to summarize, if she is just going to edit using iPhoto and iMovie I would save your money and go with an i5 15" with hi-res screen. If she is going to use Final Cut Pro, Aperture and Photoshop extensively she might want to go with the 15" i7 but I don't think she will really need it.
Nauticam 550 w/ T2i - Zen 100 - Inon Z240 - Tokina 10-17 - Canon 60mm - Sola 600

#4 cor

cor

The Hacker

• Admin
  • 1993 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 09:49 AM

If you want to spend money to make it faster, forget about i7, but get an SSD. I recommend Intel or OCZ, but by all means research it and pick whichever you prefer. Once you have an SSD in a computer, you never will want to go back. Everything without an SSD feels unbearably slow to me now. Also, dont get the mac SSD, buy aftermarket.
Cor Bosman - Nikon D2X Subal ND2 - Nikon D7000 Subal ND7000
website | tripreports/journal | facebook | wetpixel map | twitter

#5 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
  • Interests:World travel
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 12 December 2010 - 11:16 AM

Cheers for the info guys. I dont know what you are insinuating there Mr Spencley. lol

I went for the 17" with the i5 with the idea of having a SSD fitted once I have done my research. Thanks for the pointer on that Cor. I am sure Louise will be very pleased with ( cough couch ) her new Mac.

Stew

Canon 5D MK2 - Sea and Sea housed - 17-40L 100mm - Sigma 15mm FE - twin YS250 pro's and gadgets galore

http://www.euphoticzoneimaging.com

#6 Marjo

Marjo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Interests:Conservation photography, climate change resilience, species and habitat conservation

Posted 16 December 2010 - 06:29 AM

Cor, is there room to fit an SSD in a MBP which you could just run the OS and paging files from and have a separate drive for storage? (I dont have a MBP, but I am jst curious) Would that be pointless since the images data would still have to write to the regular drive? Large SSD's are rather costly still but I just ordered 3 X 80GB SSD for $150 a piece for another project and if thinking of perhaps doing something clever. Perhaps build a super fast alebeit not all that large raid5 array of 4 SSDs just for storing and editing "the food stuff" perhaps?

#7 cor

cor

The Hacker

• Admin
  • 1993 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 06:30 AM

Thats what I have. 256GB SSD drive, and a second 500GB normal drive. The MBP has room, provided you remove the optical drive. Google for 'optibay'

Cor
Cor Bosman - Nikon D2X Subal ND2 - Nikon D7000 Subal ND7000
website | tripreports/journal | facebook | wetpixel map | twitter