Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

EU citizens, your urgent action is needed to help sharks!

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1755 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 12:22 PM

This is great stuff guys.

KEEP GOING!

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#22 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10641 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 01:45 AM

For all those have got replies, please keep them as evidence should the MEP "renege" or feel the pressure to change their minds. Apart from confirmed bachelors, politicians are commitmentphobes.
This declaration forces the EC to look for solutions, vs thumb twiddling waiting for something to happen. With that declaration passed and the EC public consultation, we can accelerate the process a bit more. Again it depends on those who do give a crap.
My suggestion is to give a full name and town in the EU you are from. This way they cannot ignore you as a constituent.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#23 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1755 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 04:00 AM

Another reply from David Campbell-Bannerman (email)

Thank you for your letter concerning the European Union's policies on animal rights, including shark finning.

We at the UK Independence Party (UKIP) feel very strongly that proper measures need to be in place to protect animal rights.

Thus, UKIP remains committed to animal rights. We have concerns that the EU is not the best agent for securing animal rights. EC Regulation 2006/1907 has led to the deaths of millions of animals in tests on products already known to be safe. Its policies such as the Common Fisheries Policy, have caused catastrophic ecological harm to life in the North Sea. Through its funding of farmers in Spain, the EU is causing the habitat of the Iberian Lynx, one of Europe's rarest mammals, to shrink.

In addition, the EU funds bullfighting in Spain via Common Agricultural Policy (CAP) grants to cattle farmers. The EU has also stated that it will not allow opponents of commercial whaling to vote independently at the International Whaling Commission (IWC). Instead, they must abstain if a "common position" cannot be reached. Some EU countries like Denmark, have links to whaling communities, and thus could mean the EU never gets this common position and has to abstain. This could clear the way for whaling nations such as Japan and Norway to force through a return to commercial whaling.

We have concerns that a large number of animal rights groups are funded by the EU Commission. We are concerned that this may inhibit the forthright action groups need to take to hold the EU to account.

I hope that you find this reply helpful. Thank you for your letter, and thank you for taking a stand for something you believe in. The world needs more people like you.

Yours sincerely,

To which I replied:

Dear Mr Campbell-Bannerman,

Many thanks for your reply, I appreciate how busy you are and the time you have taken to consider my email.

However I am also somewhat perplexed by it!

My invitation was simply to invite you to add your signature to Written Declaration 0071/2010 which:

“Calls on the Commission to deliver a proposal to prohibit the removal of shark fins on-board vessels by the second anniversary of the Community Plan of Action for Sharks (February 2011).”

Shark finning has already wiped out over 90% of the worlds sharks, and without these apex predators in the ecosystem, your concerns about EU fishing policy will be moot as there will be no fisheries to fish.

Whilst I understand your concerns as expressed in your mail, about the EU in general, and UKIP's apparent policy of disengagement, this is an opportunity for you to take some practical action on an issue that affects us all. Your failure to support the Declaration would suggest that you are either a supporter of the practice, or that you are not practising politics of principle, but those of political expediency.

Many thanks again for you time.

Adam Hanlon

I am in the process of trying to get some air time on the UK TV channels for this. I have a few contacts, but if anyone else has any that would be useful. UKIP's stance as above is newsworthy. The idea that they won't do anything because the policy emanated from Europe which we don't support will raise a few eyebrows in the press!

Adam

Editor-wetpixel

#24 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1755 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:45 AM

Got another one!(email)

Dear Mr Hanlon,

I am pleased to inform you that Timothy has signed the Written Declaration.

Kind regards,

Office of Timothy Kirkhope MEP

Adam

Editor-wetpixel

#25 acuevas

acuevas

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 10:09 AM

Got another one!(email)

Adam

Adam, do you know if we can get the updated list of signatures?

I can see that the lists in projectaware.org haven't changed.
We are very close to the target date so it would be nice to have the updated count.
Regards
Andres Cuevas

Nikon D7000, Tokina 10-17, Aquatica AD7000, Aquatica Mini Dome, 2xInon Z-240 type 4.
flickr

#26 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 10:41 AM

Got another one!(email)

Adam

That's excellent, Adam! Well done. I am going to write in the morning.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#27 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1169 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 14 December 2010 - 11:43 AM

Its not easy getting an acknowledgement from Kay Swinburne :)
· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm
· INON Z-240s & Sea & Sea YS-250 Pros
· SmallHD DP4 monitor & NA-DP4. Fisheye Aquavolt 3500s & 7000s
· Zen DP-100, DP-200 & DP-230

#28 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1755 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 12:54 PM

Hi all,

I don't know of a way to get updated signature information beyond a total number here

This total does seem to be increasing-it list it at 350 MEPs signed. We still need a few more!

Please don't only write to your local MEP-write to as many as possible. Volume of correspondence is what we need here, and to be honest it's origin is not critical!

Keep up the pressure!

Adam

Editor-wetpixel

#29 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1728 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 12:54 PM

For all those have got replies, please keep them as evidence should the MEP "renege" or feel the pressure to change their minds. Apart from confirmed bachelors, politicians are commitmentphobes.

Such actions as politicians reneging on commitments are a very sick joke in the UK at the moment!

I wrote a personal email but sadly this issue is nothing new.
Paul Kay, Canon EOS5D/5DII, SEACAM/S45, 15, 24L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales underseacameras & marinewildlife & paulkayphotography & welshmarinefish

#30 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1755 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 01:31 PM

Hi Paul,

I agree, but we are so close! 350 MEPs have signed-we only need a few more. Anything we as individuals can do or attempt to do needs to be done now!

Otherwise we just give up and accept the status quo. Write again!

Adam

Editor-wetpixel

#31 acuevas

acuevas

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 04:20 PM

Just posted in Sharkproject, a german group in facebook, they have more than 5500 members.
Let's see if somebody reacts.
Regards
Andres Cuevas

Nikon D7000, Tokina 10-17, Aquatica AD7000, Aquatica Mini Dome, 2xInon Z-240 type 4.
flickr

#32 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10641 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:57 PM

Such actions as politicians reneging on commitments are a very sick joke in the UK at the moment!

I wrote a personal email but sadly this issue is nothing new.

As Adam says, we either sit around and accept that our elected officials are idiots, or tell them if they want to get elected again, they'd better play ball. That is why I am personally kinda disappointed with this turnout. An important opportunity like this doesn't come often. This is more significant than any other campaign in the world right now. And it's up to the Europeans to do something about it.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#33 Cerianthus

Cerianthus

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 01:20 AM

I wrote individual emails (although from the aware template) to all dutch MEP's but havent had a reply.
Gerard

My photo's on flickr
Crop the world ! (Using Canon 20D, 60mm, 100mm, 10-17mm FE, Ikelite)

#34 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1169 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 15 December 2010 - 04:12 AM

Its not easy getting an acknowledgement from Kay Swinburne :)

I've just had a reply from Dr Swinburne's secretary asking for my postal address in her consituency. Therefore it would appear to be futile to attempt to bamboozle the MEPs which havn't declared with mass mailings...
· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm

#35 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1755 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 04:22 AM

Tim,

I've sent over 30 emails, and not had any asking for an address, so please go ahead and write. Simply flagging that there is an issue is better than looking for reasons to avoid doing so! I've now had two replies saying that they will sign and neither of these are from my constituency MEPs so it is worth the effort!

Doing nothing is not an option! If anyone has any other suggestions on how to get the message through I'm all ears!

Adam

Editor-wetpixel

#36 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10641 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 07:10 AM

It wouldn't surprise me that those MEPs who want to hold out anyways would demand such. Politicians want to make sure they represent the people who elected them. Swinburne's constituency is Wales, which has boats who have the permits to shark fin. I doubt it's in her interest to do otherwise. Hence the hardline! Concentrate on the others!
5 more days till the declaration ends!

Edit: My info is outdated. Since 2009, Defra's UK Fisheries Minister Huw Irranca-Davies announced that all sharks landed must have fin intact and that those permits would no longer be issued and old permits be cancelled. Thus if any UK MEP isn't signing, it's because they are not aware or don't care about the declaration.
I apologize for my outdated information.

Drew

#37 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1169 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 08:18 AM

Swinburne responded with a non-committal waffle. I've asked her to be specific - yes or no.

Attached Images

• swinburne01.jpg

Edited by Timmoranuk, 15 December 2010 - 08:22 AM.

#38 acuevas

acuevas

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 04:11 PM

Guys!!!
410 signatures!!! :P
Regards
Andres Cuevas

flickr

#39 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1755 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 11:25 PM

Hi all,

As Andres has pointed out, at the end of the session yesterday, 410 MEPs have now signed the Written Declaration. This is well over the 369 signatures we needed for a simple majority. The Written Decleration will be announced in the next plenary sesssion of the European Parliament.

This means that we DID IT! All of you who who wrote to the MEPs did make a difference. It is important to pioint out how much of an impacy this legislation can make: one in three of shark fins in the trade are from EU registered boats. This will. in effect, stop this. Potentially we reduce the supply by one third.

It is also unfortunately necessary to sound a note of caution on two fronts. Firstly, this means that the we still have a long road to go until we have legislation that forces boats to land the full shark (and makes the trade uneconomic). We need to keep the motivation and pressure up to make this happen. We have proved that we can make a difference with the legislators in Europe, so lets keep doing so. If you hear of MEPs who need "bolstering" on the issue, let us all know!

Secondly, cutting supply is only one part. The hardest task is to cut demand, and this ultimately is where the survival of sharks will rest. Please support campaigns like Sharksavers "I pledge..."

Sorry to sound gloomy, thanks to you all, I have the best Christmas present possible-the potential for actually stopping a part of this heinous trade. Thank you all!

Adam

Editor-wetpixel

#40 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10641 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 12:17 AM

It is definitely a long process and part of this process will be the continuation of this declaration in the form of the public consultation by the EU Commission:

http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=39053

The realistic options are to force boats to keep sharks intact. This should cut shark catch by 80-90% as there's a lot less space on boats. We also need this to be stringently enforced as we all know that fishermen will cheat!.

The fight isn't over but thanks to all who stepped up and made a difference!

Please also thank the MEP who you "harassed" and tell them to make sure the legislation sticks!

Drew