Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

EU citizens, your urgent action is needed to help sharks!

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1168 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 16 December 2010 - 12:54 AM

It is also unfortunately necessary to sound a note of caution on two fronts. Firstly, this means that the we still have a long road to go until we have legislation that forces boats to land the full shark (and makes the trade uneconomic). We need to keep the motivation and pressure up to make this happen. We have proved that we can make a difference with the legislators in Europe, so lets keep doing so. If you hear of MEPs who need "bolstering" on the issue, let us all know!

Secondly, cutting supply is only one part. The hardest task is to cut demand, and this ultimately is where the survival of sharks will rest. Please support campaigns like Sharksavers "I pledge..."

Adam

And thirdly, enforcement...

PS. written before I read your last post Drew...

Edited by Timmoranuk, 16 December 2010 - 12:56 AM.

· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm
· INON Z-240s & Sea & Sea YS-250 Pros
· SmallHD DP4 monitor & NA-DP4. Fisheye Aquavolt 3500s & 7000s
· Zen DP-100, DP-200 & DP-230

#42 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1168 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 16 December 2010 - 02:06 AM

If what has been achieved here is to potentailly reduce the supply of fin by up to 30% (the European contribution) whilst demand remains constant or may be rising, will this result in the rise in the value of fin?

If so, may this lead to increasing fishing pressure in the remaining fisheries and also may attention now be directed to previously uneconomically accessible stocks which will become attractive targets as a result of increased value? If EU vessels are now constrained to land whole carcassess and this is uneconomic at the present value of fin, would an increase in market price make this a commercially viable option?

On the flip side, one may also hypothesise that demand may decrease as the price of fin reaches a threashold which the consumer finds unattractive...

The battle is won but the war is certainly not...
· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm

#43 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1737 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 03:38 AM

Guys-so negative!

This is an achievement. We have won a battle not the war, but it is a significant victory nevertheless. Stop looking for the negative and be happy that we have taken a positive step in the right direction. If we constantly look at the challenges and ignore our successes we will lose momentum.

Be Happy! :P

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#44 acuevas

acuevas

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 04:38 AM

Don't think about prices and stock of sharks, that's exactly how the rest of the world sees the sharks, like a product.
We are saving lives here!!!

This is a great achievement, there is really hope for the sharks and maybe for us. :P

Thank you all who participated in this campaign.
Regards
Andres Cuevas

Nikon D7000, Tokina 10-17, Aquatica AD7000, Aquatica Mini Dome, 2xInon Z-240 type 4.
flickr

#45 Scubamoose

Scubamoose

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1118 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, travel.

Posted 16 December 2010 - 05:16 AM

Great work all who participated!!!
Indeed it's good news and shows once again that it's us individuals, who hopefully CAN make some difference (not sure if the signature numbers would be this high without all the e-mails that we sent).

I belive allso there's no need to look for negative sides here, but we should be realistic and no let us fall off the race with this achivement. There's still lots to be done!!!
Just keep swimming, just keep swimming :P

Cheers
Karel
My Flickr
www.karelbernard.com

Karel Bernard
Canon G9 in Ikelite Housing; SubStrobe DS-160
WA lens Ikelite W-20; Inon UCL-165 M67 Close-up Lenses

#46 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1168 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 11:57 PM

Swinburne responded with a non-committal waffle. I've asked her to be specific - yes or no.

Well, Swinburne's letter to me has been proven to be no more than a shallow platitude, indicative of duplicitous morality. She did not sign the Written Declaration - http://www.europarl....amp;language=EN

I feel more than a little aggrieved and I am inclined to put in place an action whereby she is brought to account. Your thoughts on this please...

Edited by Timmoranuk, 19 December 2010 - 11:58 PM.

#47 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10629 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 12:42 AM

Well Tim, politicians hardly ever do anything that don't benefit themselves, directly or indirectly. Swinburne is the Welsh rep and from what I remember (my info is outdated obviously), Wales use to have boats which had permits to fin sharks. The lowest count for all countries is Spain, which is not surprising since their fleet has the most permits issued. Perhaps there is some sort of backroom deal among the fishing companies and their contributions to the politicians? Maybe the ECR is trying to curry the fishing constituents?
Either way, unless you raise hell in Wales, I doubt there's much you can do to make her pay. Perhaps you should talk to Paul Kay?

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#48 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1168 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 02:48 AM

Thanks for that Drew.

Yup, I had a chat with Paul and subsequently with Ali Hood at the Shark Trust. There is a pragmatic postition to take here insofar as a issue made over Swinburne's anomolous reponse may be contra-productinve in the grand scheme of things, as perceived by the Shark Trust. Ali also pointed out that there a number of Conservative MEPs who will not support the parlimentary process of Written Decarations on a point of principle. This may apply to Swinburne. So its a case of allowing sleeping dogs to enjoy their rest...

Whilst takling to Ali she mentioned Gordon Ramsay's Channel Four series on finning. No transmission dates yet but here's the www info:

http://www.channel4....msay-shark-bait

Edited by Timmoranuk, 20 December 2010 - 03:14 AM.

#49 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10629 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 06:53 AM

Yes, Ramsay, Oliver, Whittingsall and Dawson are all doing a sustainable food source series. I remember Whittingsall was in the Maldives for his episode for sustainable fishing practices.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#50 xariatay

xariatay

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 07:03 PM

There is petition for this... End finning in the EU
Help End the slaugther of Dolphins in Taiji! Petition Site
G9, UN macro lens (MIA in Buyat Bay), no strobe. My Dive Blog