• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 scottleslie

scottleslie

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 11:15 AM

Anyone here try using an Ikelite housing and the 7d's live view lcd screen instead of that joke of a crappy housing viewfinder ? I know the AF is a little slower and it is harder on the battery while on, but I use it all the time topside doing close-up WA on my floating blind and it's great. Is there a good reason I haven't thought of why it won't work underwater? (I haven't gotten wet yet with my new housing- first time digital). Thanks.

Edited by scottleslie, 14 December 2010 - 11:17 AM.

Nova Scotia, CANADA Bay of Fundy: A Natural Portrait, Wetland Birds of North America, Woodland Birds of North America, Seabirds of North America http://www.scottlesliephoto.com

#2 Otara

Otara

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 03:20 AM

Anyone here try using an Ikelite housing and the 7d's live view lcd screen instead of that joke of a crappy housing viewfinder ? I know the AF is a little slower and it is harder on the battery while on, but I use it all the time topside doing close-up WA on my floating blind and it's great. Is there a good reason I haven't thought of why it won't work underwater? (I haven't gotten wet yet with my new housing- first time digital). Thanks.

It will work for stationary or very slow moving subjects where it can work fairly well, but anything moving it gets bad pretty fast. One other major problem doing it with an Ike housing is you cant move the focus point around as you need the 4 way controller to do that which isnt available in that housing.

Otara

#3 Aussiebyron

Aussiebyron

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 03:43 AM

Isnt someone making an adaptor to fit Nauticam viewfinders to Ikelite housings???

Regards Mark
Nikon D7000 with Aquatica housing called "Deedee", Tokina 10-17,Nikkor 60mm, Nikkor 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Ikelite DS161

http://www.flickr.co...s/22898788@N04/

#4 Alex_Tattersall

Alex_Tattersall

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 04:10 AM

Yes, Nauticam make an adapter for this.
www.flickr.com/photos/alextattersall

www.nauticamuk.com
www.uwvisions.com
Exclusive official importer of Nauticam products into the UK and Ireland

#5 DuncanS

DuncanS

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:23 AM

Yes, Nauticam make an adapter for this.

I have one on my housing (30d), however, i do remember a post on here that it wasn't possible to fit to the 7d housing as a button interferes...
Duncan

RedSeaSnapper.com

#6 Otara

Otara

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 02:03 PM

I have one on my housing (30d), however, i do remember a post on here that it wasn't possible to fit to the 7d housing as a button interferes...

Thats correct it wont fit because of the button placement. I found out the hard way.

Otara

#7 hyptest

hyptest

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 04:39 PM

Aside from the fact that you lose one of the major advantages of the 7d (the very good continuous AF servo focus), I don't personally know of any way to move the focus point around in live view on a 7d when in the ikelite case. Outside the case this is done with the joystick thing, but that's the one control the ikelite housing does NOT have.

#8 ileiman

ileiman

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 10:25 AM

I use both the optical viewfinder and the liveview.
The optical viewfinder works reasonably well with a very low volume "thin" mask that allows you to get your eyeball close, but you of course can never get it quite as close as you'd like.

Is the viewfiender more "diving mask friendly" in other housings?

With lieveview be sure to select the AF "quick mode". This way the autofocus uses the phase detect sensor instead of slow contrast detection. In quick mode the mirror slaps up and down quickly while the camera focuses. This doesn't of course work too well with a moving target. With a static subject AF "quick mode" on liveview works quite well.

For shooting 8 frames per sec you can't use liveview, but even the fastest strobes will not recycle that quickly anyway, so 8 fps applies only when you don't use strobes.
Canon 7d, Tokina 10-17mm fisheye, Canon EF-S 60mm Macro, Sigma 10-17mm OS HSM, Ikelite housing,
2x Ikelite ds-161 strobes with Stix 12"+12" arms with floats.
Canon ixus 980is in Canon housing.
Olympus c8080wz in Olympus housing.
website www.leiman.fi.

#9 RedSeaDiver

RedSeaDiver

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 05:37 PM

With lieveview be sure to select the AF "quick mode". This way the autofocus uses the phase detect sensor instead of slow contrast detection. In quick mode the mirror slaps up and down quickly while the camera focuses. This doesn't of course work too well with a moving target. With a static subject AF "quick mode" on liveview works quite well.

Will that mode work for reef scenic images with lots of anthias flitting about etc?

Can you point me to where it is in the 7D menus?
Red Sea Dreaming....

Canon 7D, Tokina 10-17, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 17-70, Canon 100mm macro, Kenko 1.4x Teleconverter, Nauticam housing when it arrives, 2x Inon Z240 strobes, Lowepro Vertex 300 AW backpack.

#10 scottleslie

scottleslie

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 08:15 PM

It's pretty bad using the viewfinder the way the two knobs stick out on either side of the viewfinder. It's a poor design. So, I took a small grinder and trimmed the two knobs down until they're just about (being careful not to effect the set screw in any way) flush with the outer viewfinder flange. Now, I can put the glass of my mask right against the viewfinder. It makes a huge difference. Now I can see about 3/4's of the camera's viewfinder instead of about half.

Edited by scottleslie, 16 December 2010 - 08:24 PM.

Nova Scotia, CANADA Bay of Fundy: A Natural Portrait, Wetland Birds of North America, Woodland Birds of North America, Seabirds of North America http://www.scottlesliephoto.com

#11 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3049 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:43 PM

Can you point me to where it is in the 7D menus?

Try "Menu" fourth red box from the left, second line, AF Mode, select then pick your choice. If I was going to try live view and W/A with a bunch of Anthias , I'd think about prefocusing on my hand and shooting with the focus locked.

Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#12 RedSeaDiver

RedSeaDiver

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 02:13 AM

Try "Menu" fourth red box from the left, second line, AF Mode, select then pick your choice. If I was going to try live view and W/A with a bunch of Anthias , I'd think about prefocusing on my hand and shooting with the focus locked.

Cheers Steve. I'm leaning more and more towards using the 7D's live view for wide angle - I wasn't sure how well the AF would work with anthias but prefocusing was going to certainly be the option if it didn't work - prefocusing with the 10-17 should just about have everything in focus.
Red Sea Dreaming....

Canon 7D, Tokina 10-17, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 17-70, Canon 100mm macro, Kenko 1.4x Teleconverter, Nauticam housing when it arrives, 2x Inon Z240 strobes, Lowepro Vertex 300 AW backpack.

#13 finwiz

finwiz

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 11:59 AM

Just returned from 2 weeks in Cozumel using 7D w/Ikelite and new low volume mask - TUSA Visualator. Viewfinder was great with this mask including good view of focus points, info displays, etc IMHO.

#14 scottleslie

scottleslie

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 09:28 AM

Just returned from 2 weeks in Cozumel using 7D w/Ikelite and new low volume mask - TUSA Visualator. Viewfinder was great with this mask including good view of focus points, info displays, etc IMHO.

If you've ever used a film camera like an F90 with a housing or even better an F4n Nikon with an action finder in an Aquatica you'd be spoiled forever against using the peep hole viewfinder on most of today's dslr's. That said, I'm glad you're happy with the Ikelite and the 7d!

Edited by scottleslie, 19 December 2010 - 09:30 AM.