LR 3.3 problem - need some help

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Scubamoose

Scubamoose

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1118 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, travel.

Posted 18 December 2010 - 11:24 AM

Hi all!

I have a bit of a problem useing the spot removal tool on LR 3.3 (on 2,7 it worked just fine). The problem started when I upgraded to 3.0 - then I was hopeing the problem will be fixed with an upgrade - saddly no.
After about 50 to 60 "circles" the program will start to run really slow untill it freezes completely.
I read on adobe forum that quite a lot of folks are experiencing the similar problem, but noone was able to suggest any solution.
I have all the latest updates to my drivers etc., plenty of free disk space, boosted up LR camera raw cache size and have done everything I could think of to fix this - still no help.
I have 32 bit win. Vista, 4G RAM - but this should not be a problem related to processor or memory, because some people on adobe forum told they had the same issue on much better computers.

Has anyone here experiencing the same problem - even more importantly, does anyone know a solution?!?

Cheers
Karel
My Flickr
www.karelbernard.com

Karel Bernard
Canon G9 in Ikelite Housing; SubStrobe DS-160
WA lens Ikelite W-20; Inon UCL-165 M67 Close-up Lenses

#2 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1768 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 12:24 PM

Hi Karel,

Not really helpful I'm afraid, but I regularly run lots of spot removal without any problems. I'm now using Macs, but used to use 64bit Windows 7 machines with no problems either. Maybe the 64 bit architecture is allowing more access to RAM?

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#3 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1181 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 01:12 PM

I have the same issue. Vista 64x
Marli
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. ~Carl Zwanzig

#4 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1581 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 18 December 2010 - 03:10 PM

No issues (I just did 100 spots) on an ancient i-mac (2ghz core duo + 2gb ram) and 10.5.8
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#5 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 04:39 PM

I have the same issue. Vista 64x
Marli

Well there's your problem.... Vista!

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#6 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1181 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 09:15 AM

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Once I hacked all the everything that wasn't compatible with, I am loathe to do it again for Windows 7, or that other overpriced white brand. :P
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. ~Carl Zwanzig

#7 Scubamoose

Scubamoose

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1118 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 10:33 AM

Well there's your problem.... Vista!

I might even consider updating to win. 7, but since I found some fellows on adobe forum who have the same issue with x64 win. 7 as well, it might not do the trick...
Maybe I'm just better off selling my apartment (or something else with enough value) and buying a MacBook instead :P

Cheers
Karel
My Flickr
www.karelbernard.com

Karel Bernard

#8 rumblefish

rumblefish

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Interests:Underwater photography and wreckdiving. Editor in chief of 'Onderwatersport', the monthly magazine of the Dutch Dive Branch.

Posted 21 December 2010 - 02:47 AM

Hi Karel,
I had the same issue after I upgraded from Lightroom 2.7 to 3. It appears to be solved now I updated to LR 3.3. (Mac user)
--Rob

Nikon D600, Nikon D80, Tokina 10-17mm FE, Sigma 14mm, 24mm macro, Nikon 60mm macro, Sigma 180mm macro. Nauticam NA-D600, 45° viewfinder, Subal ND80, GS180 viewfinder. Sea&Sea YS350 and YS90. ULCS arms.

#9 Scubysnaps

Scubysnaps

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, Aprilia RSVR, VW Vans! www.scubysnaps.com

Posted 21 December 2010 - 04:29 AM

I've only just upgraded to 3.3 from 3.2, I had the same problem on 3.2 but not sure yet on 3.3, I have Windows 7 on 64bit and mac 10.5.8.
The way I got round it is to do spot removal first in Photoshop, much easier too as well as the speed
Cheers
Paul

*Nikon D90 with Tokina 10-17 & Nikon 60mm, 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Kenko1.4 * 2 x Z240 & 2 x 12 litres...global! *

www.scubysnaps.com >)))°>

#10 Scubamoose

Scubamoose

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1118 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 02:25 AM

I'll try to upgrade my win. to 7 and let You know does it help or not...
But it does seems to be a bug in LR - since there are quite a few of You who are haveing the same problem.

Cheers
Karel
My Flickr
www.karelbernard.com

Karel Bernard

#11 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1181 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 10:14 AM

Yeah, the other thing that is happening is that right clicking on the thumbnails at the bottom stops working after a while; closing and reopening fixes it.

Cheers,
Marli
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com

#12 Plyschmannen

Plyschmannen

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 06:27 AM

Ive had similar issues, and what fixed that problem was to remove/restore the preference file (http://forums.adobe....358041?tstart=0). I was extremely skeptic that it would work, but it did. Apparently it can get corrupted or at least bogged down when you do upgrade over upgrade. As I said, I really didn't think it would change anything, but for me it fixed the slowdowns. Take a backup, and try it, its worth a shot.

/Bjorn

#13 Scubamoose

Scubamoose

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1118 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 02:02 PM

Ive had similar issues, and what fixed that problem was to remove/restore the preference file (http://forums.adobe....358041?tstart=0).
/Bjorn

Well this helped alot!!! I can't say it fixed the whole problem, since the program still goes quite slow after useing spot removal very much, but it's not crashing down anymore!!! :)
Thanks a lot Bjorn :D

This is the picture I wanted to save. It's not even a good shot, but does have some sentimental value.
Common mussel's - coast of Norway.

IMG_0654.jpg

Cheers
Karel
My Flickr
www.karelbernard.com

Karel Bernard

#14 Plyschmannen

Plyschmannen

Moray Eel