• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Ocean Imaging

Ocean Imaging

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 04:55 PM

The first EPIC 5K Digital Cinema camera shipped and delivered has been stolen in France...the serial number is 00006....Please contact Mark Peterson or the folks at RED Digital Cinema if anyone knows anything about this...There is a $100,000 reward leading to the recovery and conviction of the people responsible for this....

#2 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 05:18 AM

Crikey!!! That's bad news, I hope its retrieved... What a nightmare

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#3 MIKE POWELL

MIKE POWELL

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 08:01 AM

That BLOWS! Hope that wasn't yours F.N. if thats who's post this is.

Best of Luck!

Mike
Visit My Website

7D Nauticam + Z240's

#4 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10595 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 08:40 PM

Thanks Fraser. Just a minor correction: The owner is Mark Pederson of Off Hollywood Studios.

Here are the details of the theft:

http://www.reduser.n...ead.php?t=53549

And here is the reward offer:

http://www.reduser.n...ead.php?t=53561

Also lost was a very expensive lens, the Angenieux Optimo 15-40mm SN s/n 1591382.

Unfortunately, the circumstances of the burglary makes it look like a typical home invasion in the South of France, which happens more often than one thinks, especially in the summer when it's super crowded. Hopefully they do try to fence it and it is recovered.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#5 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 01:32 AM

Thanks Fraser. Just a minor correction: The owner is Mark Pederson of Off Hollywood Studios.

Here are the details of the theft:

http://www.reduser.n...ead.php?t=53549

And here is the reward offer:

http://www.reduser.n...ead.php?t=53561

Also lost was a very expensive lens, the Angenieux Optimo 15-40mm SN s/n 1591382.

Unfortunately, the circumstances of the burglary makes it look like a typical home invasion in the South of France, which happens more often than one thinks, especially in the summer when it's super crowded. Hopefully they do try to fence it and it is recovered.

Holy hog!!! I know Sony wouldn't stump up a reward ... Seriously I hope that gets sorted maybe they should check local 'car boot' sales, you never know

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)

#6 Scubamoose

Scubamoose

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1118 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, travel.

Posted 02 January 2011 - 02:48 AM

Ouchhh...!!!
I wonder if the bad guys even know what they have stolen?
Hope this gets sorted out and they find all the missing equipment!

Cheers
Karel
My Flickr
www.karelbernard.com

Karel Bernard
Canon G9 in Ikelite Housing; SubStrobe DS-160
WA lens Ikelite W-20; Inon UCL-165 M67 Close-up Lenses

#7 Ocean Imaging

Ocean Imaging

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 09:23 AM

Not mine Mike,..I'm sure Mark had insurance but that doesn't ease the blow..still shooing RED One but expect to move into EpicX this year. Was just trying to get the word out, the more that know the better.

Maybe they'll catch those responsible, I hope so...dislike someone who steals...

Frazier Nivens, Ocean Imaging

#8 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 10:55 AM

Epic number six has been stolen in France from Mark...there's a $100,000 reward posted for the conviction of those responsible.

I'd be checking video forums for posts that have awesome picture quality, however are slightly wobbly with rubbish composition... :dancing:

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)

#9 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1299 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 03:29 PM

I read on another forum someone suggesting that it was stolen by a competitor wanting the 'Secret Sauce'

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#10 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10595 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:39 PM

I seriously doubt that Jonny. The conspiracy theorists will be out in force but all of those guys have never lived in the south of France. Break ins like that, are happening more and more often. In fact, it's risen over 60% in the south of france. Tourism rentals with minimal security (read locks that suck!) and even sleeping gas has been used burglars have been doing their runs. I have friends who suffered one of these burglaries last year and they've since put in alarms and stronger locks. Those guys knew which jewelry were fake and only what was of high value that could be fenced easily like handbags, cash and jewelry.
If you remember good ol' Sarkozy's anti-Romani rhetoric which got him into hot water, it's partially related to the suspicions that the rapid rise in burglaries are work of the Romani illegal immigrants.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#11 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1168 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 03 January 2011 - 12:32 AM

You are absolutely right Drew. Having lived in the South of France and Catalan I know this area is blighted by theft which is typicically perpetrated by itinerents who constantly look for any opportunity...
· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm
· INON Z-240s & Sea & Sea YS-250 Pros
· SmallHD DP4 monitor & NA-DP4. Fisheye Aquavolt 3500s & 7000s
· Zen DP-100, DP-200 & DP-230

#12 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 03 January 2011 - 04:08 AM

Well something like that is going to be pretty hard to off load.
Abit like stealing a Bugatti, its going to stand out where ever it turns up.
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#13 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 04:33 AM

Well something like that is going to be pretty hard to off load.
Abit like stealing a Bugatti, its going to stand out where ever it turns up.

The main view is it was a random lift, any chance this could have 'stolen to order'???

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)

#14 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1378 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 02:31 PM

Bummer!! I should have known that the 500 'Buy It Now' offer that I purchased earlier for a RED Epic on Ebay was too good to be true!! :dancing:

#15 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 06:37 AM

Bummer!! I should have known that the 500 'Buy It Now' offer that I purchased earlier for a RED Epic on Ebay was too good to be true!! :dancing:

Come on Simon that's not funny as you well know... :D

Dive safe

Dean(Damn I ordered two)B
Facebook me ;)

#16 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2837 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:10 AM

I can't imagine have that gear and not having insurance for it. Hopefully, they had some.
Steve
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#17 sfynn

sfynn

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 12:34 PM

If the reward is $100,000 - what on earth could the value of the camera be? Or is it one of those priceless "engineering samples?"