Yoga,
    Photography
    Running
    Cars
    Travel
    Good food

Posted 01 January 2011 - 02:47 PM

Hello,

This is my first post on this site. I just got back from a three week trip in the Philippines. We went to Boracay, Puerto Galera and Manila. This is my second trip in 3 months and will be going back every few months or so. My girl friend lives on Mindoro, the same island that Puerto Galera is on but on the south west corner in San Jose. On this trip I decided to try diving again. I hadn't dove in 25 years. My first three dives were in Boracay. Boracay has some interesting diving spots but its well known for its beach. Its an ideal spot to vacation with a nondiving spouse/family. The diving was very good.

Next we flew off to Manila and took the bus down to Batangus and a boat over to Puerto Galera. We spent 4 nights at the Sunset at Aninuan Beach which is right next to White Beach. The hotel has no real diving perse, they do have a small reef right off the beach good for beginners and snorklers. AB Wonderdive just opened up a small dive shop right in the hotel. AB has a much larger faciltiy in Little Laguana beach which is a stones throw from Sabang. I talked to the manager at AB in Aninuan and told him i would like to do the advanced open course but I would only be staying 4 nights and moving on to another hotel in Little Laguna. Wow this worked out just great, their other shop in Little Laguana was only 50 meters from our other hotel. I ended up doing 2 dives in Aninuan and finished the course in Little Laguna and a bunch more dives after I completed the course.

I read a few posts here about the Philippines. Contray to some posts its not difficult or expensive to get to Puerto Galera from Manila. Its a 2 and a half hour bus ride to Batangas about $4 and while you are there you could spend a few days at Anilao its right next to Batangas. You can take a public boat from Batangas to PG for less than $10. I think it was 250 to 300 pesos plus a small port fee port. Don't forget to add a few dollars for ports to carry your luggage off and on the boats.

My next trip will be in April or early May. I haven't finalized it but we will probably go to Palawan and San Jose. From San Jose im only 2.5 hours away from Sablayan the jumping off point to Apo.

While completing my advanced course I did the padi photo course. After that i wish i had a underwater camera outfit. I will post more on that later.

Ken