NAI'A liveaboard, Fiji

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 AMW

AMW

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Interests:Kick-boxing, English Premier League, SCUBA, aqua-culturing SPS and LPS, yoga

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:41 AM

My wife and I are looking to book a trip with the Fiji liveaboard NAI'A.
Have you been on it before, and if so, would you recommend it in regards of dive sites, service, food, etc.
Thank you!

#2 gina

gina

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 01:22 PM

Hello,

I've been on the Nai'a before, but my trip was in Tonga to swim with the humpbacks about 1.5 years ago. One of these days I will go back for a Fiji trip with them.

The Nai'a is a wonderful boat with one of the best and friendliest crews I've ever dived with. Since it is large and a sailboat (with a keel) it is nice and stable. The food is wonderful as well, and as I am a vegetarian they were able to provide me delicious food, no problem.

About a year ago there was an explosion when the boat was docked for repairs, and as a result its interior was upgraded, so everything should be new and clean.

Dive with them if you have the chance!

-Gina

#3 philsokol

philsokol

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 04:22 PM

I was on the Nai'a about 3 years ago. Ditto everything Gina said - nice boat, super friendly crew, good food, excellent diving.

You will have a great trip with them.

Phil

Phil Sokol
Canon 5D3 and 7D, Nauticam and Subal, an assortment of strobes and too many damn lenses!
"Hey Dean! How do you work this crazy thing?!" Jerry Lewis

#4 Cary Dean

Cary Dean

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:07 PM

Have you been on it before, and if so, would you recommend it in regards of dive sites, service, food, etc.
Thank you!

Not sure when you're wanting to go but I spoke with them at The Scuba Show last year in Long Beach.
Great people and very informative. I've met many people that have been on the boat and have never
heard a complaint.
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever."
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#5 steveando

steveando

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 06:13 PM

I spent several days on this boat earlier this year and the operation is fantastic. We spent most of our time in the very clear Bligh Water and I can say that the reef condition was spectacular!! Dive briefings were very detailed and the crew was outstanding. Food was excellent and they give you the opportunity to choose your menu for the day so you have several options for diet. The cabins have all just been renovated and are in excellent shape. If you are a photographer, you will have plenty of subject matter.

You will not be disappointed.

#6 Sarah Fisk

Sarah Fisk

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 10:54 PM

Thank you!

Hi,

I have been on NAI'A more than once. The diving is really wonderful - the best sites in Fiji Waters and a good variety. The boat is beautiful, a good size for the number of guests, with plenty of crew, two cruise directors and a dive-master - who are all excellent. They are intelligent, knowledgeable and friendly, amazingly helpful, and they play music at night which is delightful. The food is great, and my fairly specific food needs have been accommodated graciously.

I also really appreciate going diving with an operation that is respectful of the locals, and partners with them on conservation projects like Namena Marine Reserve. (This is my personal favorite dive site - so rich with sea life - big schools of jacks and barracuda, hammerheads, other sharks, mantas, plus pygmy seahorses, ghost pipefish and everything in between!!) They are not just about dive tourism, they are passionate about ocean health, etc, and host as many biologists and fish geeks as they do photographers and joy divers (like me!)

You'll hear a lot of positive comments about NAI'A and there is a reason. Hard to put your finger on the magic of it but its there...go see for yourselves and say hi to everyone from me....

best of luck,

Sarah

#7 aznajoe

aznajoe

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 02:51 AM

Thank you!

Hello I noticed that you and your wife was interested in booking a trip to Fiji Liveaboard NAI'A and that you live in the LA area. I live in North Hollywood and have a voucher good for a 7 day liveaboard NAI'A trip and was wondering if you were interested in it. I won it from Reef & Rainforest. If you are interested in the 10 days you are able to pay the difference. We can verify that this isn't a scam or anything by actually contacting NAI'A and they can confirm the trip. If intersted please call me at 626-236-2894 my name is Guy. Thanks

#8 AMW

AMW

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Interests:Kick-boxing, English Premier League, SCUBA, aqua-culturing SPS and LPS, yoga

Posted 18 April 2011 - 01:59 PM

Thanks...
but already booked and paid for upcoming Nai'a trip...
...and looking forward to it!

#9 saudio

saudio

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 01:31 PM

Was on the Nai'a last month. A very fine boat and crew. You will enjoy your trip.

#10 mrbheagney

mrbheagney

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 04:26 AM

Hi,

I have been on NAI'A more than once. The diving is really wonderful - the best sites in Fiji Waters and a good variety. The boat is beautiful, a good size for the number of guests, with plenty of crew, two cruise directors and a dive-master - who are all excellent. They are intelligent, knowledgeable and friendly, amazingly helpful, and they play music at night which is delightful. The food is great, and my fairly specific food needs have been accommodated graciously.

I also really appreciate going diving with an operation that is respectful of the locals, and partners with them on conservation projects like Namena Marine Reserve. (This is my personal favorite dive site - so rich with sea life - big schools of jacks and barracuda, hammerheads, other sharks, mantas, plus pygmy seahorses, ghost pipefish and everything in between!!) They are not just about dive tourism, they are passionate about ocean health, etc, and host as many biologists and fish geeks as they do photographers and joy divers (like me!)

You'll hear a lot of positive comments about NAI'A and there is a reason. Hard to put your finger on the magic of it but its there...go see for yourselves and say hi to everyone from me....

best of luck,

Sarah

If you wish to visit Tonga and agree with supporting locals it may be worth considering conducting your diving and whale watching with a locally based operator. The Nai'a visits Tonga as part of her schedule but very little of her tourist dollars ever reach the pocket of local people. By choosing a locally based operator in Tonga there is a much greater chance that revenue generated by your tourism will actually benefit the local population. What's the point in getting on a boat in Fiji that takes weeks to get to Tonga and then sails off again into the sunset leaving the Tongan economy in its wake. Despite the socio-economic argument a local operator always knows the best spots and when to dive them. Local knowledge is local expertise and should not be underestimated. It's more ecomomical for the guest to do it the direct way and it has a much greater financial impact for the local ecomomy also. Drive in drive out tourism does little to encourage the mindset that the creatures in our oceans are better alive than in a net. If the local population can see revenue benefit from established tourism businesses operating on their own islands it can only help to promote the conservation of their own natural resources. Tonga is a developing nation and tourism plays a key role in that development, as a tourist your can help this progression by choosing to support Tongan based operators. Also, it's much more fun when you do it local!