Photo
- - - - -

Shark fining gets a little more exposure...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 NWDiver

NWDiver

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1273 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 01:11 PM

Spotted this on the web. UK chef and camera crew doused in gasoline and held at gunpoint by shark fining fishermen.

http://www.delish.co...point?gt1=47001

#2 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10641 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:54 PM

Well, I've been to CR and seen those fishermen's viciousness firsthand, with threats with machetes and fish hooks.
However, given that Ramsay is publicizing a TV series and the ITV (or any other broadcaster) isn't above "dramatic reenactments" of events, I have to take this story with a pinch of salt. Still, the shark issue is one that needs publicity so I guess any publicity is good publicity. However, what we really need is the Asian TV shows to take on this task, with a Jet Li or Jay Chou leading the way. Most asians would know Gordon Brown more than Gordon Ramsay.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#3 Scubysnaps

Scubysnaps

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, Aprilia RSVR, VW Vans! www.scubysnaps.com

Posted 06 January 2011 - 11:17 PM

That news was out last Sunday, the first of this series (which I think its part of) was on last night, another UK actor/celeb (Martin Clunes) who was already a diver, albeit a beginner whos not been in the water for 3 years, first took a trip to see the sting rays at Cayman, then to Georgia to see the 3 Mantas in an aquarium, he then went to Equador to see them tagged and also saw sting rays and sharks being caughht for their brains and fins respectively, lots of hammerheads were seen brought ashore, very sad, he then went to Hanifaru to see the congregation, but nothing was there for him apart from one. The times he was in the water I could tell he wasnt in Hanifaru bay, probably just close to it. He then went to Sri Lanka to see them trade the mantas gill trains being sold off at a fish market, very sad to see them cut them off, he also went to a dealers house to see them being dried in the sun, they quoted how much they could get for them, forgot now, he then went back to Hanifaru and saw about 20 snorkelling. Good exposure really seeing as it was a primtime channel.

Edited by Scubysnaps, 06 January 2011 - 11:17 PM.

Cheers
Paul

*Nikon D90 with Tokina 10-17 & Nikon 60mm, 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Kenko1.4 * 2 x Z240 & 2 x 12 litres...global! *

www.scubysnaps.com >)))>

#4 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 12:36 AM

Its excellent that the issues have been brought forward into the mainstream again, these causes need all the publicity they can :) Bravo to those involved ...

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#5 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10641 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 08:58 AM

Paul, I just saw the ITV show with Martin. In fact, one of WP's members, Roger Munns of ScubaZoo, was one of the camera crew. Have to say, that it's typical TV fodder, even if it was envisioned with a good intention. First sequence, calling a whaleshark "dangerous" because it's a shark is just plain stupid in this day and age. Then playing dramatic music when sharks enter the picture. The dumbest thing said of a whale shark: "... unlike the ones in Atlanta, the sharks here aren't fed everyday!" Sigh!
Of course, the conservation message is poignantly strong, covering climate change and coral breaching. But somehow I'm a little appalled at the nonsense sentiment toward sharks, which is silly since another part of the series is about protecting sharks. Then there's the almost anti-chinese sentiment which is uncalled for.
One other thing I really liked about the series is the constant whining about conditions and visibility, which is so typical of anyone on an expedition. Reality TV for uw photogs! :)

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#6 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:11 AM

Paul, I just saw the ITV show with Martin. In fact, one of WP's members, Roger Munns of ScubaZoo, was one of the camera crew. Have to say, that it's typical TV fodder, even if it was envisioned with a good intention. First sequence, calling a whaleshark "dangerous" because it's a shark is just plain stupid in this day and age. Then playing dramatic music when sharks enter the picture. The dumbest thing said of a whale shark: "... unlike the ones in Atlanta, the sharks here aren't fed everyday!" Sigh!
Of course, the conservation message is poignantly strong. But somehow I'm a little appalled at the nonsense sentiment toward sharks, which is silly since another part of the series is about protecting sharks. One other thing I really liked about the series is the constant whining about conditions and visibility, which is so typical of anyone on an expedition. Reality TV for uw photogs! :)

I totally agree, I was slightly miffed at those sequences although I think it was mainly down to uneducated or more than likely dramatised editing ... However I think, from the feedback I'm getting off non diving friends, it was overall more a positive than negative on how it came across :).

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk