13 replies to this topic

#1 Nicool

Nicool

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 04:50 PM

Hi there,

I believe there is no post on wetpixel about that great video, showing Laurent Ballesta, french underwater photographer, taking pictures of live coelacanths (-115m, South Africa).
You can see an amazing movie here: http://videos.tf1.fr...ue-6197545.html (it's between 15min and 30min I believe). I hope there is no problem with me sharing this link on wetpixel, it's the official webpage of the TV program.

I guess we'll see Laurent's picture among the winners of some photo contests in 2011 :)

Edited by Nicool, 08 January 2011 - 04:54 PM.

#2 AllisonFinch

AllisonFinch

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Interests:Caves, photos and long distance travel to dive.

Posted 08 January 2011 - 08:13 PM

WOW!!

You don't have to understand French to enjoy that film.

I was amazed at the coelacanth footage, though. I was under the impression that they lived far deeper than even tech diving could reach. Could anyone advise the depths they were reaching?

#3 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 09 January 2011 - 02:34 AM

Posted on front page. Incredible!
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#4 bearaway

bearaway

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:52 AM

Posted on front page. Incredible!

The video is also available here: (not official that is)

[vimeohd]18348025[/vimeohd]
(embedded by moderator)

@allison: Laurent mentions in the movie they went to a series of caves that are at 105 and also 115m to look for it, he mentions that he could spend about 25-30min at this depth and they had to do 4h30 of deco stop.
From the comments (and of course the footage) they did many dives here during a duration of 4 weeks, some unsuccessful one where they spent all their time looking and in particular the one where he saw the coelecanth outside the cave right after they went over the drop off. During this period they apparently saw 4 different coelacanths here.

Source from one of the team member in rebreatherworld mentioned back in september:

Expedition took place in Sodwana begining 2010 (with Peter Timm). Team of 4 rebreather divers. Diving 4-5h / 100-120m almost every day during 4 weeks. We have seen the coelacanthe only 6 times during 25 to 35' each successful dive.
Difficult dives with a lot of current, drift more than 8km during deco sometimes.
This fish can be over 1.80m. It is very peaceful and his way of getting around is really unique.

Edited by echeng, 09 January 2011 - 08:19 PM.

#5 Nicool

Nicool

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 06:16 AM

More details: they've been searching for coelacanth in this particular place (along the cost of Sodwana) because a diver (the skipper of the boat) saw a coelacanth when exploring these caves at -115m, on 2001 or so.
In the following years, 3 divers tried to go and see the coelacanths, but they died in the process.
Then, Laurent set up his successful project, I believe it was in 2010.

FYI, Laurent Ballesta is an experienced deep diver, who also shot the deepest SCUBA underwater picture in 2008, it was -192m in Nice, France.

#6 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 06:18 AM

The Ushuaia series are really outstanding It's worth watching even for the kite-surfing!
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#7 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10644 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 07:47 AM

Yes there have been previous expeditions to look for those ugly fish. Night dives will find them at a much more manageable depth (around 55-70m) and save a lot of time. Just have to get lucky with a calm sea and nice moonlight or dawn dives!
I have to say that I wish I had a video/mp3 player when I did my deco stops!

I have to say that those guys were INSIDE the caves where the raggies were, which is against SOP for Sodwana raggie diving. In fact, I almost thought they were at Cathedral on Aliwhal in one of those shots. Anyone else think so?

If anyone wants to go, the operator is Peter Timm of Triton Lodge,Sodwana.

http://www.tritondiving.co.za

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#8 bearaway

bearaway

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 08:36 AM

More details: they've been searching for coelacanth in this particular place (along the cost of Sodwana) because a diver (the skipper of the boat) saw a coelacanth when exploring these caves at -115m, on 2001 or so.
In the following years, 3 divers tried to go and see the coelacanths, but they died in the process.

The following article gives probably a more complete picture:

The South African Coelacanth Discovery
Story based on text received from Pieter Venter and edited by Garth Cambray.
http://www.redshift...._coeldiscov.htm

Articles also suggest that the team will get back there in May 2011 to spend more time studying the fish.
http://www.lematin.c...lacanthe-365758
(translated by google)

If the coelacanth is the animal best known anatomically, following the dissection of specimens caught, nothing is known of his lifestyle. We must find out whether such joint skull - an upper face which is built around the middle of the skull - that is the only one who allows it to improve the extraction of fish which they feed. For this, we will offer him food to break his movements with a specific camera. We must also determine if its unique tail, composed of three lobes, allows it to melt faster on its prey. The questions do not lack...

#9 sterlingz

sterlingz

Moray Eel

• 98 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:38 PM

Positively mind-blowing! Spectacular encounter, and great footage. Can't wait to see the stills.

#10 Tjsnapper

Tjsnapper

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:21 PM

Awesome, thanks for posting, really enjoyed the film, i am sure 4 hours+ of deco must be a bummer but worth it for some shots :P
No diving for 3 weeks-- work work work.
Web:www.tristanjonesphotography.com
Email:info@tristanjonesphotography.com
Blog:Visit My Blog

#11 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2856 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:36 PM

Hi there,

I believe there is no post on wetpixel about that great video, showing Laurent Ballesta, french underwater photographer, taking pictures of live coelacanths (-115m, South Africa).
You can see an amazing movie here: http://videos.tf1.fr...ue-6197545.html (it's between 15min and 30min I believe). I hope there is no problem with me sharing this link on wetpixel, it's the official webpage of the TV program.

I guess we'll see Laurent's picture among the winners of some photo contests in 2011 :P

Just so cool. Always been fascinated by coelacanths since I read the first extinct/not really accounts.

#12 AllisonFinch

AllisonFinch

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Interests:Caves, photos and long distance travel to dive.

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:54 PM

If they had done the dive at night, they might have found all kinds of pelagic critters to film while doing the deco stops. A missed opportunity.....

#13 yahsemtough

yahsemtough

Great Canadian Mokarran

• Senior Moderator
  • 3495 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 06:52 PM

Wow, absolutely cool!

Todd
Todd Mintz
tmintz.com
all photographs posted Todd C Mintz

#14 derway

derway

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1136 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 11:31 AM

What rebreather were they using? Must be a good one!
Don Erway
http://picasaweb.google.com/onederway/
http://www.pbase.com/derway

nikon n90s/ikelite housing/twin SS-200 canon G2/ikelite/DS-50/optical TTL slave
sony V3/ikelite/DS-51/Heinrich DA2 slave