6 replies to this topic

#1 AdamSkr

AdamSkr

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:15 AM

Hello,

After 10 years, my trusty Scubapro Glide 2000 is beginning to give up on me. I have looked at the options available to me locally (want to fit a bcd before purchasing so internet is a no-no for me) and basically narrowed it down to a Dive Rite Travelpac and a Scubapro T-force.
As I am not really familiar with Dive Rite i was wondering if anyone here has used the Travelpac and what the experience has been like - i did find some older posts about the transpac harness, but nothing on the travelpac. I am told that the travelpac is basically a transpac harness with a travel exp wing, but without the versatility of changing the wing. I do all of my diving in tropical waters and with a single 12l tank, occasionally strapping a 4l pony to the tank and was told that it would be OK so not being able to change the wing for a bigger one is a non-issue for me.

I will get a chance to try a travelpac (although a size or two too large for me - which is why I am still asking for long term use opinions) in a few days to see if I am happy with a back wing, as i have only done a handful of dives with backplate/wing as part of a course in the past but that was with twin tanks, never tried a wing set-up with a single tank though so i want to test the 'being pushed forward theory' for myself.

At the moment the + points of both my options are as follows:

Scubapro: Familiarity

Dive Rite: weight, versatility (except for the wing options), lower profile, price.

Familiarity is a very strong point hence any opinions you can offer on the travelpac will be much appreciated and can sway the decision either way.

PS. I am not trying to start a jacket vs wing discussion.

Thanks,

Adam.

#2 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:01 AM

Hello,

After 10 years, my trusty Scubapro Glide 2000 is beginning to give up on me. I have looked at the options available to me locally (want to fit a bcd before purchasing so internet is a no-no for me) and basically narrowed it down to a Dive Rite Travelpac and a Scubapro T-force.
As I am not really familiar with Dive Rite i was wondering if anyone here has used the Travelpac and what the experience has been like - i did find some older posts about the transpac harness, but nothing on the travelpac. I am told that the travelpac is basically a transpac harness with a travel exp wing, but without the versatility of changing the wing. I do all of my diving in tropical waters and with a single 12l tank, occasionally strapping a 4l pony to the tank and was told that it would be OK so not being able to change the wing for a bigger one is a non-issue for me.

I will get a chance to try a travelpac (although a size or two too large for me - which is why I am still asking for long term use opinions) in a few days to see if I am happy with a back wing, as i have only done a handful of dives with backplate/wing as part of a course in the past but that was with twin tanks, never tried a wing set-up with a single tank though so i want to test the 'being pushed forward theory' for myself.

Dive Rite: weight, versatility (except for the wing options), lower profile, price.

Familiarity is a very strong point hence any opinions you can offer on the travelpac will be much appreciated and can sway the decision either way.

Thanks,

Adam.

In a couple of weeks you'll be able to read an extensive comparison test between that and an equivalent Scubapro product on www.divernet.com

Edited by John Bantin, 12 January 2011 - 12:02 AM.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#3 Deep6

Deep6

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 07:59 AM

In a couple of weeks you'll be able to read an extensive comparison test between that and an equivalent Scubapro product on www.divernet.com

Thanks for the tip John. I always enjoy your reviews. Any Zeagle BCs in your test?
Bob

Carpe carp - Seize the carp

#4 AdamSkr

AdamSkr

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:37 PM

Thanks for the heads-up John. Appreciate it.

Adam.

#5 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 13 January 2011 - 12:27 AM

Thanks for the tip John. I always enjoy your reviews. Any Zeagle BCs in your test?
Bob

This time it's just a simple head-to-head. Zeagle seems to have gone missing in Europe at the mo'.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#6 Benthichi

Benthichi

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 07:31 PM

Adam - I've been diving the TransPac with the TravelEXP wing for about 15 months. The unit is constructed of very heavy duty materials (A-), and there is little corrosion after that time (A-). I love the compactness of the Travel EXP wing for single tank diving (A-, as I'd still like to to be smaller). I removed the crotch strap, even though it's not recommended by the manufacturer, as I'm a minimalist. In so doing, I've ended up with a rig that's less stable than my old Scubapro XTek. When you rotate from face down to sideways, the whole load shifts (D). The tank does not budge from the BCD position with the double tank bands, though (A). The unit is very configurable (A), which is great if you can figure out how to optimpally adjust the top of the shoulder strap attachment position, and the lower adjustment. I've watched the video, and was able to get if fairly close. Underwater, it seems perfect, but carrying the tank on hikes is not very comfortable ©. Wearing the BCD on land without a wetsuit, the lower part of the lumbar pad sometimes folds over, exposing the skin to uncomforatble velcro. Overall, I'm used to it now, but I still liked the better fit and control of the Xtex (which is now made only with a back plate).

The TravelPac is a one-piece, newer unit that has the wing permanently integrated and is slightly lighter...good luck, and let us know what you think!

Hello,

Thanks,

Adam.

#7 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 01:21 PM

You may have a look at the Scubapro Knighthawk,

wing, still light, sturdy, fit very well

Chris

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website