• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 WashDCLady

WashDCLady

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:13 AM

I recently upgraded my Canon XTi rig to a Canon 5D Mark II in an Aquatica housing. Because I have now gone to a full frame camera, I no longer have the benefit of the 1.5X on my 100mm macro that I had with the cropped sensor on the Xti.

I am considering either Backscatter's "Macromate" external diopter solution, or the 2x teleconverter attached between the body of the camera and the lens, with a port extension for the housing.

The thought of having the flexibility to choose the level of macro I wish to shoot, while diving, with the Macromate accessory is appealing, however, I would like to know if anyone has actually used this before and has opinions on the pros and cons of the two solutions and, more importantly, the ease of use and quality of the pictures.

I welcome any and all feedback on this and thank you in advance for your opinion!

Cheers,

Donna

#2 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1537 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:50 PM

I recently upgraded my Canon XTi rig to a Canon 5D Mark II in an Aquatica housing. Because I have now gone to a full frame camera, I no longer have the benefit of the 1.5X on my 100mm macro that I had with the cropped sensor on the Xti.

I am considering either Backscatter's "Macromate" external diopter solution, or the 2x teleconverter attached between the body of the camera and the lens, with a port extension for the housing.

The thought of having the flexibility to choose the level of macro I wish to shoot, while diving, with the Macromate accessory is appealing, however, I would like to know if anyone has actually used this before and has opinions on the pros and cons of the two solutions and, more importantly, the ease of use and quality of the pictures.

I welcome any and all feedback on this and thank you in advance for your opinion!

Cheers,

Donna

With the 100 macro the Macromate or the SubSee both can give you 2x magnification and the results are quite nice. Many of the macro shots on blueviews.net were shot with the Subsee and quality is quite good. The problem with the 2x tele is that you lose 2 full stops and autofocus becomes less nice. Often if i am shooting very small stuff, I will put a 1.4 tele on the 100 and add the subsee but DOF gets mighty small.

Don't forget that with the Xti, you had an apparent 1.6 magnification but the lens was still shooting 1:1.
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#3 WashDCLady

WashDCLady

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:24 AM

With the 100 macro the Macromate or the SubSee both can give you 2x magnification and the results are quite nice. Many of the macro shots on blueviews.net were shot with the Subsee and quality is quite good. The problem with the 2x tele is that you lose 2 full stops and autofocus becomes less nice. Often if i am shooting very small stuff, I will put a 1.4 tele on the 100 and add the subsee but DOF gets mighty small.

Don't forget that with the Xti, you had an apparent 1.6 magnification but the lens was still shooting 1:1.
Bill

Thanks, Bill; so if I understand you correctly, you have used the macromate and, aside from the loss of 2 F Stops (which I assume would happen with either solution?) and autofocus becoming a challenge, you were happy with the results?

Cheers,

Donna

#4 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1537 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 12 January 2011 - 10:09 AM

Thanks, Bill; so if I understand you correctly, you have used the macromate and, aside from the loss of 2 F Stops (which I assume would happen with either solution?) and autofocus becoming a challenge, you were happy with the results?

Cheers,

Donna

I must not have been clear. The MacroMate and the SubSee are external diopters that go on the outside of your housing. Results using either with a 100/105 macro lens are to my eye quite nice. The 2 stop loss that I was talking about is from a 2x teleconverter that goes between your lens and your camera. I often use a 1.4 teleconverter but have never found a 2x tele that is usable with a 100 macro that I really like. You might take a look through the pinned topic about getting more than 1:1 magnification for some other ideas.

Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#5 WashDCLady

WashDCLady

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 10:58 AM

I must not have been clear. The MacroMate and the SubSee are external diopters that go on the outside of your housing. Results using either with a 100/105 macro lens are to my eye quite nice. The 2 stop loss that I was talking about is from a 2x teleconverter that goes between your lens and your camera. I often use a 1.4 teleconverter but have never found a 2x tele that is usable with a 100 macro that I really like. You might take a look through the pinned topic about getting more than 1:1 magnification for some other ideas.

Bill

Thanks for the quick reply! You have cleared this up quite well for me. I am leaning toward the external solution, rather than the teleconverter option primarily for the flexibility in my shooting options while diving as opposed to being "set" with what I will be shooting once I am in.

you have been very helpful; thanks again!!!

Donna