• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:05 PM

Is there a PC equivalent to Carbon Copy that I can create a straightforward bootable backup with daily incremental backups?
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#2 johnspierce

johnspierce

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:08 PM

Is there a PC equivalent to Carbon Copy that I can create a straightforward bootable backup with daily incremental backups?

I like Cobian backup for Windows. It will do full or incremental backups, can be scheduled, can run as a "service". It can even FTP files to an offsite server as a backup.

http://www.educ.umu....obianbackup.htm

Nikon D800 | Aquatica Housing | Inon Z-240

#3 Plyschmannen

Plyschmannen

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:21 PM

I like Cobian backup for Windows. It will do full or incremental backups, can be scheduled, can run as a "service". It can even FTP files to an offsite server as a backup.

http://www.educ.umu....obianbackup.htm

I use Cobian aswell. I'm not aware of any backup software that will give you straight up bootable media/HD, since all the messy boot sectors, MBR and such. I know back in the days you could clone disks with Ghost (think Norton/Symantec have bougth that software now?).

/Björn

#4 johnspierce

johnspierce

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:35 PM

I use Cobian aswell. I'm not aware of any backup software that will give you straight up bootable media/HD, since all the messy boot sectors, MBR and such. I know back in the days you could clone disks with Ghost (think Norton/Symantec have bougth that software now?).

/Björn

I haven't personally used this, but Lifehacker had an article on EASEUS Disk Copy which appears to make a sector-by-sector backup:

http://lifehacker.co...your-hard-drive

I'm a dual user of Win7 and OSX and this is where you have to give "props" to OSX and Time Machine for making it dead simple to transfer an entire working OS from one disk to another.

Nikon D800 | Aquatica Housing | Inon Z-240

#5 jeremypayne

jeremypayne

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1199 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:43 PM

I use Acronis Home. Very fast ... and I've successfully restored from backup several times - usually to increase the capacity of my system drive.

(Hey Jeff! ... been SUPER busy building a new business ... )
Jeremy Payne
My Website

#6 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:40 PM

Hmmm...... I don't want to mess with sectors etc, I only run one simple business statistics program on the PC, would just love to have something that if the drive crashes, I simply boot from the backup drive and move on. I have Ghost, so I think I will create a mirror drive so that if and when the drive dies at least I will not have to reload the system software etc, and then just do simple backups of the one file that I use for the stats program. Does that make sense?
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#7 jeremypayne

jeremypayne

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1199 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:47 PM

Hmmm...... I don't want to mess with sectors etc, I only run one simple business statistics program on the PC, would just love to have something that if the drive crashes, I simply boot from the backup drive and move on. I have Ghost, so I think I will create a mirror drive so that if and when the drive dies at least I will not have to reload the system software etc, and then just do simple backups of the one file that I use for the stats program. Does that make sense?

Yeah ... the incremental back-ups would be trickier, but that would work.
Jeremy Payne
My Website

#8 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 02:41 PM

I use the Acronis product as well Jeff and would recommend it.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org