• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 robertsalisbury

robertsalisbury

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 01:03 PM

Hi there. I was wondering if anyone has been to Xmas Island near Australia. I'm looking at going at the end of Feb beginning of March when the whale sharks and mantas are still about v's much improved viss! If anyone out there has any advice or opinions on dive operators, accommodation etc, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Robert

#2 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10644 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 11:12 PM

Yes, I went 3 times for the crab spawning in spring and once for the spawnlings return (Major FAIL!). Late spring, early summer is when the sharks and mantas were around.
I dived with Indian Ocean Dive Academy and Xmas Island Divers, I switched not because of the ops but the choice of dive sites. IODA is Austrian owned.
Since you are flying there, you may as well consider hitting Cocos Keeling, where the diving is more pristine and possibly Kat the dugong.
My info is a few years old since SilkAir/Austrasia killed the direct flight SIN-XCH and the JKT flight was cancelled. But Xmas Air still flies the KUL-XCH once a week I think.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#3 robertsalisbury

robertsalisbury

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 01:20 PM

Yes, I went 3 times for the crab spawning in spring and once for the spawnlings return (Major FAIL!). Late spring, early summer is when the sharks and mantas were around.
I dived with Indian Ocean Dive Academy and Xmas Island Divers, I switched not because of the ops but the choice of dive sites. IODA is Austrian owned.
Since you are flying there, you may as well consider hitting Cocos Keeling, where the diving is more pristine and possibly Kat the dugong.
My info is a few years old since SilkAir/Austrasia killed the direct flight SIN-XCH and the JKT flight was cancelled. But Xmas Air still flies the KUL-XCH once a week I think.

I think IODA is no longer there. From what I have found out there seems to be just 2 companies. Wet and Wild, and Xmas Island divers. XID has just been taking over in the last year. I spoke to a guy called Simon who seemed very helpful and accommodating. Nothing from W&W. I'll be flying from home in Perth, so were just planing on a long weekend's worth of diving. Anything within 3000km is almost considered next door here, so we'll check Cocos out another time.

#4 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10644 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:14 PM

Are you sure? I sent someone to them in 2010 (or was it 2009) and they were still there. Why don't you try getting to the Rowley Shoals? It's pretty spectacular and apparently hasn't been hit as much by fishermen.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#5 robertsalisbury

robertsalisbury

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 06:30 AM

Are you sure? I sent someone to them in 2010 (or was it 2009) and they were still there. Why don't you try getting to the Rowley Shoals? It's pretty spectacular and apparently hasn't been hit as much by fishermen.

There web site is still there but there was no reply to emails and the xmas island tourist board say they no longer operate? The Rowley Shoals are only be dived from October to December. I'm looking to go in the next month. Thanks for the advice though.