• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 renep

renep

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 05:28 PM

This is not my first post but I'm mostly a lurker. Since my trip to Cuba was mostly about photography and that it's all about diving (in my case freediving) the area of Santa Lucia, let me invite you to read this report.

Any advice on the pictures are welcome. I'm using a G10 with a Canon housing and I only had one UFL1 strobe (I got another one for xmas).

http://www.renepotvin.com/cuba1.htm

Here's the first shot :

Posted Image

Edited by renep, 14 January 2011 - 01:46 PM.

Rene Potvin

BTW I am presently going from Miami to Montreal on a kayak, you can follow me on my blog at http://miami2montreal.wordpress.com/
Do subscribe, I need the numbers for my sponsors, thanks!

www.renepotvin.com

#2 Glasseye Snapper

Glasseye Snapper

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • Interests:Fish ID & behaviour and photos thereof

Posted 14 January 2011 - 04:31 PM

Hi Rene,

Enjoyed your post and agree that Cuba is undervalued as a dive destination. I haven't been back recently since I've become addicted to unlimited shore diving which is hard to do in Cuba if you're on scuba. However, seeing some of the ridiculously low prices for last minute trips from Montreal or Toronto it is borderline criminal to stay home. Unfortunately no such luck from Edmonton.

Cheers, Bart
Olympus OM-D EM5/Nauticam, 12-50mm & 60mm macro
Sea&Sea 110a, iTorch, GoPro3 BE

#3 Eyematey

Eyematey

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 04:49 PM

Also enjoyed your article, on my list of places to visit and dive although it's not easy to "get there from here" being from the states. Curious what is being done about the invasion of lion fish? Is there a bounty or general mandate to rid Cuban waters of them? Of course that will be impossible but wonder what the Cuban stance if any is?
Thanks for sharing.

#4 renep

renep

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:40 PM

Thanks guys, what I learned photography wise is that the g10 by itself was not really up to par for the macro shots on shrimps.

I read about macro add ons. I was wondering if anyone new what really works.

BTW, I don't think Cuba has any policy on lion fish. My feeling is that it would be far in their priorities although they seem to value conservation. I guess nature will run its course there as everywhere else.

Edited by renep, 15 January 2011 - 10:42 PM.

Rene Potvin

BTW I am presently going from Miami to Montreal on a kayak, you can follow me on my blog at http://miami2montreal.wordpress.com/

www.renepotvin.com

#5 cbgugu

cbgugu

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:41 AM

Thank you René for your writing. I have been to Santa Lucia in 2007 loved the place for free dive, was not certified at the time. I am planning to go back soon for shark dive.
While you were there did you du any of the shark dive? If yes how was it?
Thank you for sharing.

#6 renep

renep

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 09:19 AM

Unfortunately I did not do the shark dive.

Since I'm a spearfisherman, I'm all too familiar with sharks to pay to see them :)

I have to say that now that I'm taking more pictures than fish (I still eat some) I should probably revisit that reflex.
Rene Potvin

www.renepotvin.com