FIT Pro external dioptres

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1170 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 01 February 2011 - 02:19 PM

It is important that underwater shooters understand that the strength of a given lens is not absolute. Let me explain:

The dioptric strength of a lens (+5, +8, +16, etc.) is relative to the medium that the lens' refractive surfaces contact (air, water, jello, etc.). So, while these FIT lenses have strengths of +5 and +8 in air, they appear to be water-contact lenses (correct me if I'm wrong!). If so, they are not +5 and +8 underwater, because typical glass achromats lose around 60-70% of their power underwater.

Timmoranuk - By direct measurement from the photos that Alex has provided, the magnification ratio achieved by the +5/+8 combo relative to the shot with no diopters is about 1.5:1. That's what you would expect from an underwater +5 diopter lens. This is consistent with the loss of strength due to water contact mentioned above. If this is true, then the FIT +8 is an underwater +3 (same power as the Inon UCL-330), and the FIT +5 is an underwater +2. A similarly constructed +16 would be an underwater +6 diopter lens (same power as the Inon UCL-165).

The MacroMate and SubSee are examples of sealed optics which retain their power both above and below water, since the lenses are always in contact with air.

All of this being said, Alex's results speak for themselves - they seem to produce sharp images free of chromatic aberration.

Just my two cents!

Keri

Nice one Keri. Thank you.
· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm
· INON Z-240s & Sea & Sea YS-250 Pros
· SmallHD DP4 monitor & NA-DP4. Fisheye Aquavolt 3500s & 7000s
· Zen DP-100, DP-200 & DP-230

#22 merg

merg

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 10:16 PM

wet lens noob here
so the FITPro +5 67mm screws onto the front of normal macro port for the nauticam or any port with 67mm thread?
whereas FITPro +8 is 46mm and needs a 67->46 adapter, as here:
http://www.fun-in.co...roducts_id=1784

couldnt find anywhere else...

#23 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1247 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving, women, cats

Posted 27 February 2011 - 10:51 PM

It comes with the adapter.

Jack

Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com Sea & Sea, Olympus, Ikelite, Athena, Zen, Fix, Nauticam, Aquatica, Seacam, Gates, 10Bar, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line - Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories
Blog & Gallery: Optical Ocean Sales Blog
Flickr Gallerys: Optical Ocean on Flickr

#24 merg

merg

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 09:54 PM

thanks,

any suggestions as to how to carry these underwater? as i dont think they come in any special cases that can hook onto one's bc or etc.

#25 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1247 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving, women, cats

Posted 18 March 2011 - 10:38 PM

There are 67mm lens holders that attach to arms available. You can park it there.

Jack

Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com Sea & Sea, Olympus, Ikelite, Athena, Zen, Fix, Nauticam, Aquatica, Seacam, Gates, 10Bar, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line - Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories
Blog & Gallery: Optical Ocean Sales Blog
Flickr Gallerys: Optical Ocean on Flickr