Need stiffest open foot fin on the market

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Poliwog

Poliwog

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Travel, 6 metre Bombard Explorer RIB, Triumph Spitfire 1500, Amateur Radio(VE3WRP)

Posted 16 January 2011 - 06:39 AM

Does anyone know of a very stiff, light weight, open foot, adjustable strap fin that I can use for my dive travel kit?

I recently upgraded my wetsuit boots to the Oceanic "Neo classic" from the basic Bare boot, and that in turn required me to upgrade my fins as well.

I had been using the Wenoka "Sea Style" open foot adjustable fin (no longer manufactured as far as I know), which I like very much because of the power and speed I can generate with them. The problem with them now is that they have an extremely narrow foot pocket which the Oceanic "Neo Classic" dive boot will not fit into. I purchased a set of Oceanic "Viper" fins to solve the foot pocket problem, but find that they are way too flexible for my liking. I usually end up overpowering them very quickly and feel like I'm just "spinning my wheels" so to speak.

The Wenoka "Sea Style" fins that I had been using previously for at least the last 10 - 15 years allow three stiffening ribs to be inserted into the fin to make them very stiff and powerful (they are as flexible as a wooden board with the three stiffing ribs inserted and can cramp your legs up if your not careful with them), but I like them and have not been able to adjust to a more flexible fin.

An old motorcycle accident injury precludes me from considering anything but an open foot adjustable strap design, so full foot fins are out of consideration for me.

Thanks.
Paul Walker.
Nikon D2x, D7000, Aquatica D2x, AD7000, SunStrobe 200 x2, Inon Z240 x2, TLC Arms

#2 Captain_Caveman

Captain_Caveman

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 01:01 PM

Does anyone know of a very stiff, light weight, open foot, adjustable strap fin that I can use for my dive travel kit?

I recently upgraded my wetsuit boots to the Oceanic "Neo classic" from the basic Bare boot, and that in turn required me to upgrade my fins as well.

I had been using the Wenoka "Sea Style" open foot adjustable fin (no longer manufactured as far as I know), which I like very much because of the power and speed I can generate with them. The problem with them now is that they have an extremely narrow foot pocket which the Oceanic "Neo Classic" dive boot will not fit into. I purchased a set of Oceanic "Viper" fins to solve the foot pocket problem, but find that they are way too flexible for my liking. I usually end up overpowering them very quickly and feel like I'm just "spinning my wheels" so to speak.

The Wenoka "Sea Style" fins that I had been using previously for at least the last 10 - 15 years allow three stiffening ribs to be inserted into the fin to make them very stiff and powerful (they are as flexible as a wooden board with the three stiffing ribs inserted and can cramp your legs up if your not careful with them), but I like them and have not been able to adjust to a more flexible fin.

An old motorcycle accident injury precludes me from considering anything but an open foot adjustable strap design, so full foot fins are out of consideration for me.

Thanks.

You'll not spin your wheels in a pair of Jetfins.

They may be a bit heavy though.

I use...

Canon 5d2
Aquatica Housing
8" Dome
Sigma 15mm
Sola lights

~ Canon 24-70 f/2.8 L - Canon 70-200 IS f/2.8 L - Canon 50 f/1.8 ~

~ Canon 350D - Canon G9 - Canon 430 EX ~

#3 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 02:51 PM

The stiffest (but heaviest) are the Jetfins and his derivations and the JetFins have a very wide footpocket.
http://www.scubapro....e-fins/jet-fins
Still stiff but lighter are Cressi Master Frog:
http://www.cressi.it...tails.asp?id=15
Both are perfect for frog kick.
Get a pair of Spring Straps, they will help you greatly donning them.
Chris

Edited by ChrigelKarrer, 17 January 2011 - 02:52 PM.

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#4 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6182 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 17 January 2011 - 06:10 PM

I would second the cressi frog recommendation

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#5 Poliwog

Poliwog

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Travel, 6 metre Bombard Explorer RIB, Triumph Spitfire 1500, Amateur Radio(VE3WRP)

Posted 18 January 2011 - 06:35 AM

Hi Guys,

Thanks for responding to my post.

I do have a pair of Jet Fins, and while they powerful, they are also very heavy for travel purposes. I just upgraded to a new lightweight BC and fear the extra weight of the Jet Fins would negate any reduced weight benefit from the BC that I just purchased.

The Cressi sub Master Frog fins look more like what I am interested in for a powerful lightweight travel fin.

Thanks to all for contributing to this thread.
Paul Walker.
Nikon D2x, D7000, Aquatica D2x, AD7000, SunStrobe 200 x2, Inon Z240 x2, TLC Arms

#6 Scubysnaps

Scubysnaps

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, Aprilia RSVR, VW Vans! www.scubysnaps.com

Posted 18 January 2011 - 06:41 AM

I cant believe nobodys mentioned them yet,
Force fins will fit all your requirements, I use them and love them!! they take a bit of getting used to though
Cheers
Paul

*Nikon D90 with Tokina 10-17 & Nikon 60mm, 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Kenko1.4 * 2 x Z240 & 2 x 12 litres...global! *

www.scubysnaps.com >)))>

#7 devildiver

devildiver

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Thank you for taking time to visit my profile.

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:20 AM

Check out the OMS Slipstreams - 5.4lbs w/springstraps dry weight. Not sure about exact buoyancy u/w, I would guess about -1 to -2lb range. Foot pocket will work well with hard sole boots.

http://www.scubatoys...MSSLIPSTREAMfin

#8 CompuDude

CompuDude

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:12 PM

Check out the OMS Slipstreams - 5.4lbs w/springstraps dry weight. Not sure about exact buoyancy u/w, I would guess about -1 to -2lb range. Foot pocket will work well with hard sole boots.

http://www.scubatoys...MSSLIPSTREAMfin

+1. OMS SlipStreams. Looks just like Jet fins, but notably lighter, so much better for travel. (as long as you don't need a heavy fin for trim)

#9 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 24 January 2011 - 06:21 AM

http://www.divernet..../star_fins.html

We've just finished a newer test with fitter younger divers. Uncannily, I personally recorded the same speeds with the fins that feature in both comparison tests despite the time difference. The latest test will not be on-line until April.

Edited by John Bantin, 24 January 2011 - 06:26 AM.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#10 Aussiebyron

Aussiebyron

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:29 AM

I like the Aqualung Blade II with stainless springs. I find them very stiff and great for travelling too.

I dont understand why you need to do speed tests on diving fins...? We dont speed around when we dive so I see the speed test pointless.

I like fins to be comfortable and have plenty of power when you need it.

regards Mark
Nikon D7000 with Aquatica housing called "Deedee", Tokina 10-17,Nikkor 60mm, Nikkor 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Ikelite DS161

http://www.flickr.co...s/22898788@N04/

#11 Scubysnaps

Scubysnaps

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, Aprilia RSVR, VW Vans! www.scubysnaps.com

Posted 07 February 2011 - 05:24 AM

I like the Aqualung Blade II with stainless springs. I find them very stiff and great for travelling too.

I dont understand why you need to do speed tests on diving fins...? We dont speed around when we dive so I see the speed test pointless.

regards Mark

I would guess the speed test is to show how powerful they are, for use against currents?

Force fins!!!
Cheers
Paul

*Nikon D90 with Tokina 10-17 & Nikon 60mm, 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Kenko1.4 * 2 x Z240 & 2 x 12 litres...global! *

www.scubysnaps.com >)))>

#12 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 09 February 2011 - 02:10 AM

regards Mark

How else would you measure the efficacy of a fin? Suggestions are always welcome. By the way, Blade II are discontinued.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#13 Poliwog

Poliwog

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 07:26 PM

Thanks John, your dive fin test results were interesting to read.

I just returned from diving in Roatan with a pair of the Cressi Master Frog fins. I like the stiffness of the fins and have decided to use them as standard equipment in my dive kit.

In addition to being a very stiff long fin, I found them to a wide fin as well. I kept thinking I was colliding with another diver with my fins but soon realized that I was not accounting for the increase in width of the fin when moving through the water column. Another minor difference I encountered was on the dive boat, with such long fins, it is easy to get entangled with the fins of other divers when space is limited on the boat.

These fins fit the bill very nicely for me, but keep the suggestions coming. I'm always looking for ways to improve the quality of my dives.
Paul Walker.