• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10644 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 10:35 PM

At CES, JVC announced their latest 3D consumer camcorder, the GZ-TD1, which has a dual lens and dual backlit CMOS sensors arrangement, capturing full resolution 1080i HD 3D, making this the first consumer camcorder to do so. It just beats out the Sony HDR-TD10E on announcement date :)
More impressive is the monitor is also glasses free 3D capable, using a parallax barrier to split the L/R image. Then there is the T1.2 lens which is at least 1 stop advantage over the usually T1.6-2 lenses most consumer camcorders use. That, combined with a blade aperture system, gives better bokeh, which will be needed since this camera can also take 3D still pictures. It has other features like time lapse 3D and even 3D sound.
The codec is a new format called MVC which the TD1 can record at 34Mbps or 22Mbps. There is no mention of 1080/60p in 2D or the mfd and lens specs other than the T1.2 aperture. The GS TD1 will ship in March for a MSRP of $1999.95.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#2 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 17 January 2011 - 01:50 AM

I saw prototype JVC and Sony cameras at CES outputting 3D video to active 3D displays, and I have to say that I was not very impressed with the video quality. The 3D effect was strong, but there were a lot of artifacts in the video, which is really noticeable in 3D. I hope image quality improves quickly as these 3D cameras come into the market and are revved.
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#3 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10644 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:35 PM

Were they doing direct HDMI feeds Eric? HDMI comes in various qualities nowadays. Then again they wouldn't want to mess with the big camera market when they release the pro versions at NAB.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#4 Painmedicine1

Painmedicine1

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:42 PM

So I have one of these cameras, and a lovely case for it. Despite some initial camera technical problems, I am planning on taking it on a dive trip to Belize in a month. I am doing things a bit out of sequence as we do not have a projection method (3D tv or what not) yet, but I am looking forward to seeing what happens here. I have previously only shot stills underwater with a canon EOS 1DS mkII, so this will be whole new world for me. Will follow up with results.

#5 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10644 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:17 AM

What housing are you using?

Drew

#6 UW3D

UW3D

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Underwater 3D still and video photography; 3D equipment, display and publishing.

Posted 18 February 2012 - 03:18 PM

What housing are you using?

I have not searched too hard yet, but the only off the shelf housing I've come across is the Equinox. It's a version of their H6 housing.

Here is a list of questions I have asked Equinox sales about the housing, but I have received no answers after a week.

1) A) How much space is there between the camera front and the front port to insert a 77mm close-up lens?

B) If insufficient space exists, can you make the housing slightly longer for this and what’s the up-charge?

2) A) Is the TD1 camera LCD screen folded open and visible inside the housing? (I read that the screen has to be open for the camera to operate).

B) Are either the top or rear mounted accessory monitors capable of displaying the “difference” between the two images for parallax detection, or are they strictly 2D?

C) If the answer to 2. A and B are “no”, has anyone had any success hacking the camera monitor to be detached so it can be placed where visible at the back port?

3) A) Is the housing neutral buoyancy with the camera;

B) If not, how much weight needs to be added to it?

C) Does the weight system require me to travel with the weight, or can it use “resort weights”?

4) Where can I view sample video taken with the housing?

5) What’s the effective focal lengths of the lenses UW through the flat port?

6) A) The table of magnifications at the minimum and maximum focal lengths based upon the normal plane of convergence at 68 inches is known for the TD1 in air, but shooting through the flat port obviously changes the effective focal lengths and changes all the magnification outcomes. Has Equinox recalculated these when the camera is used in the housing underwater? If so, I’d like to review that information.

B) I have the same question for the camera/housing UW when using diopter lenses in plus 1 through plus 5 increments to reduce the distances to the planes of convergence?

C) If you have not calculated these magnifications/convergence points, but can tell me the effective focal length of the lenses UW through the flat port, I may be able to work them out for you.

Looking forward to more information!

Mark

#7 UW3D

UW3D

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Underwater 3D still and video photography; 3D equipment, display and publishing.

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:56 AM

I have answered some of my questions about the housing.

Is there space is there between the camera front and the front port to insert a 77mm close-up lens? Not in the standard housing, but Equinox will build it on a longer tube, I think without additional cost.

Is the TD1 camera LCD screen folded open and visible inside the housing? The screen has to be open for the camera to operate, but it isn't visible thru the housing, and there is no viewfinder. If you use the Equinox external monitor, it's SD quality. More importantly, it does not show the parallax difference. Nor does any auxiliary 2D screen. IMO, the camera is unusable UW without the ability to view the parallax. Apparently, only an auxillairy 3D monitor will provide that, and none I know of are small enough yet to be practically housed.

No one I spoke to thought they could hack the camera LCD monitor to be detached so it can be placed where visible at the back port. It's on a flex ribbon cable and wrapped around the hinge. Very tricky to extend, even if you found a longer compatible flex cable.

Mark