15 replies to this topic

#1 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1735 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:12 AM

Hi all,

Earthy UK celebrity chef, Gordon Ramsay, has been featured in a program entitled "Shark Bait" which went to air in the UK last Sunday night. Aiming to "expose" the practice of shark finning, he does, I think succeed in raising the issue with people who had never considered the problem before. Channel 4 viewers on a Sunday night is a different demographic from the normal watchers of programs like this. He also persuades a group of restaurant owners to stop serving shark fin soup in London-by showing his footage.

Due to copyright, I can't embed the film, although it is available on YouTube. This is certainly the case in the UK.

If anyone can find a version of it that is embeddable, please add it below!

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#2 Alex_Tattersall

Alex_Tattersall

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 09:18 AM

Good on him, shark finning is a truly disgusting, repugnant practice.
www.flickr.com/photos/alextattersall

www.nauticamuk.com
www.uwvisions.com
Exclusive official importer of Nauticam products into the UK and Ireland

#3 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10629 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:52 AM

Please do not embed any copyrighted material without permission from Channel 4. Any copy on the web will be illegal, since Channel 4 has its own streaming service which restricts overseas viewing due to licensing issues (they have to make money selling the program to various broadcast outlets.)

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#4 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10629 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:46 PM

I just watched the program. It's great that the issue is being raised to UK viewers and hopefully it will galvanize support for the EU initiative to close out the loopholes and cut shark fin supply by up to 20%.

Then this being Ramsay, whose programs, like his restaurants are more hype than substance, I have to say, the man has a real potty mouth! That whole publicity buzz about his life being in danger was, of course, hyperbolized to get viewership. There was no gunpoint scene shown and the "gasoline" pouring from the roof could've been just waste water.
Then there's the almost sanctimonious attitude about the "barbaric" finning scene, saying "we" butcher in our kitchens but not to that extent. Yet everyone of his restaurants serve foie gras etc. The use of shock in showing the finning process on a live shark to quell demand and also the restauranteurs is very effective. However, to claim moral high ground is something that will never work because NO ONE has totally clean hands.
Overall, a lot of f&s bombs, combined with a bit of exposť journalism with a big helping of Ramsayisms, the program should get people talking at least.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#5 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:25 PM

No embed, but linky linky for USA-viewable version:
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#6 MK2

MK2

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:18 PM

Today I found out while planning photo and video dives this week that the remainder of the bull sharks in Playa Del Carmen have been wiped out and finned sometime near the end of Dec. The first group of about 20 were fished in late Oct. Good to see Ramseys take on it because people arent taking this seriously and its just sickening that a culture is wiping out an entire species to show their "Wealth"!

Pelagic Visions Imaging

Blue H2O Cozumel Watersports

http://padiowsi.wix.com/blueh2ocozumel

#7 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 12:34 PM

Good program, great cause... Doesn't really matter how it's put together or if it is hyped a bit, as long as it gets the message across that's all that matters ...

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#8 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1388 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 01:09 AM

I'd heard something was coming out this weekend in the papers but this is worse than I thought it would be:

http://www.dailymail...e-ones-fun.html

Edited by SimonSpear, 30 January 2011 - 01:10 AM.

#9 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10629 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 06:29 AM

How apropos to my "clean hands" comment. However, a reformed celebrity would help the cause in Europe and make for more interesting headlines. Look at Lindsay Lohan and Charlie Sheen! Nobody can say they are guilt free. Even I have tasted shark fin as a kid, which may explain the brain damage :P.
Still, I'm not sure if programs like this are better for the Ramsay types or the cause. The publicity for Ramsay is probably more immediate since it's obvious his core market is where his restaurants and TV shows are most popular. Whereas shark finning's frontline is Asia. There's been movement to get a big Asian celeb to do something similar. It's tough to get the equivalent of Madonna to walk around the streets of asia without someone creating a media storm and ruining the piece.

Drew

#10 xariatay

xariatay

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 07:23 PM

I am really disappointed in him...
Help End the slaugther of Dolphins in Taiji! Petition Site
G9, UN macro lens (MIA in Buyat Bay), no strobe. My Dive Blog

#11 shoupart

shoupart

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Scuba diving, freediving, kayaking, sailing, and underwater videography

Posted 03 May 2011 - 06:01 AM

I am really disappointed in him...

maybe he had a change of heart sometime between the fishing trip and the shooting of the video. after all, it says the trip happened a year before he'd began thinking about making the documentary.
Jason Shoup
Bluewater Photo
Santa Monica, CA
www.bluewaterphotostore.com

#12 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:59 AM

I would like to point out that
while divers are more ecologically aware of the marine environment aren't they
just being a bit hypocritical at the same time? I lead many groups of divers
around the world, the great majority on liveaboad vessels, and guess what the
number one entree's are for both lunch and dinner? Seafood, always seafood
with maybe some chicken or beef on the side. Most charter boats have their
own ship applications including within, the guest's food preferences.
Whenever I fill one out I always say 'no seafood'. If we are to preach about
the need to conserve our marine life than we need to walk the talk. I know
that there are many species of fish that are not on a published endangered
list but how are these fish caught without much 'by product' fish and/or
damage to the coral? How many dolphin, turtle, shark, and other species need
to be killed while the long lines and nets wreck further havoc upon both
protected and unprotected sites. The last time I led a group to the Cocos
Islands of Costa Rica, a World Marine Heritage site, I aborted several dives
simply to pull up freshly laid long lines replete with an abundant number of
brand new hooks. With only one small boat and 3 crew members to protect the
island from long liners and shark finning operations, they were completed
outnumbered by the 19 fishing vessels on our boat's radar. I am leading
another group back there this August and wonder how much line I will be
bringing up this time.
I admit, I can be a hypocrite as well as I do love the occasional tuna
sandwich from Subway, but it is not often.
Sadly, the push towards more ecologically sound practices will never
change when faced with cultures whose culinary heritage relies upon seafood.
However, the least we could do is to stop our dive destination resorts and
liveaboard craft from consistently placing seafood as their number one entree.
Steve
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#13 Kari Post

Kari Post

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Interests:nature, the outdoors, adventures of all kinds, backpacking, swimming, photography, writing, conservation, education

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:12 AM

I recently saw this on Upworthy and thought it was a very well done video. I'm glad to see this issue coming up in the popular media. You guys obviously know a lot about this issue already, but I felt it was worth sharing. Warning, there is a good bit of profanity and graphic imagery.

http://www.upworthy....ure-soup?c=ufb1
Kari Post
www.karipost.com

#14 Aquapaul

Aquapaul

Sting Ray

• Team Wetpixel
  • 225 posts
  • Interests:Photography above and below the waves.

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:04 AM

Thanks for sharing. Very disturbing but it's good to see a celebrity trying to make a difference.
Paul Chase

----}<))))"> ----------}<))))'>
-----------}<)))))))))*>

#15 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:13 AM

Sadly, I couldn't view the videos that were posted here. One said it wasn't available in the U.S. I was sent this email this morning and it completely disgusted me.
http://www.grindtv.c...g kong rooftop/
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#16 DamonA

DamonA

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Scuba, Skin Diving, "Animal Lover" and Woodworking, Licensed Professional Joiner & Carpenter.
    Don't like contact sport at all or elite level professional sport.

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:16 AM

Cheers to Gordon!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: shark finning, Gordon Ramsay