5 replies to this topic

#1 johnspierce

johnspierce

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 11:21 AM

Hi all,

I am thinking about a new laptop and will likely wait until I see what Apple releases in April to replace the Macbook Pros, but I'm wondering, is anyone out there using one of the new Macbook Air models for their travel PC. In particular, how does it run using Lightbook, Aperture, iMovie, etc. I have a fast desktop at home, so I don't do the full edit job on my laptop, but I do review and sometimes create quick slide shows and movies when on a dive trip.

I just love the thin profile and less than 3lb. weight of the new AIR, so I'm thinking the Macbook Air 13" with 2.13ghz 4gb/256gb should be a pretty sufficient travel laptop, but would love to hear from anyone currently using that setup.

thanks,
John
Nikon D7000 | Aquatica Housing | Inon Z-240

#2 Scubysnaps

Scubysnaps

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, Aprilia RSVR, VW Vans! www.scubysnaps.com

Posted 20 January 2011 - 11:33 AM

I use it but mine is over 2 years old now and very handy, obviosly the spec is a lot less than that, but its great, it can hang now and then but no great problems, it takes up the same overall space as a 10" netbook that I used to have but the 13" is a hell of a lot better
Cheers
Paul

*Nikon D90 with Tokina 10-17 & Nikon 60mm, 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Kenko1.4 * 2 x Z240 & 2 x 12 litres...global! *

www.scubysnaps.com >)))>

#3 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 20 January 2011 - 12:24 PM

I have that exact setup for a photography tech startup I just got involved in, and I love it. It is definitely slower than my 2.93Ghz MBP w/discrete graphics, but for Lightroom, Photoshop and iMovie, it's totally fine. No problems at all.

I do miss having Firewire and a large 1920x1200 screen, but that's the obvious tradeoff to shave half the weight off.
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#4 sdingeldein

sdingeldein

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 12:29 PM

I just upgraded from the previous 13" MacAir to the new 13" model and it is dramatically faster. It works fine for Lightroom editing and the battery life is 2-3x the old MacAir. I only got 2 GB of RAM and it runs fine, but would likely get 4GB if I were to do it over. That being said, with 2 GB of RAM it is plenty fast running lightroom. I have no experience with movies so I can not speak to how a MacAir does with more intensive video requirements.

The 11" MacAir is great too as my daughter has one, but I wouldn't want to run Lightroom on it due to smaller screen space.

Steve
Born to dive, forced to work

#5 cor

cor

The Hacker

• Admin
  • 1993 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 12:34 PM

My wife has that setup. 13", 256GB SSD, 4GB memory. It's very spiffy. Slower than my MBP, but not bad at all. It would be faster than a disk based MBP I think.
Cor Bosman - Nikon D2X Subal ND2 - Nikon D7000 Subal ND7000
website | tripreports/journal | facebook | wetpixel map | twitter

#6 sdingeldein

sdingeldein

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:54 PM

FWIW here are some benchmarks.

Posted Image
Born to dive, forced to work