Photo
- - - - -

Results from the new TTL slave sensor from Ikelite...

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 NLAVD

NLAVD

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 30 May 2002 - 01:05 PM

Ikelite replaced my DS-125's slave sensor and got it all back to me in time for my Memorial Day trip to Key Largo. Here are some results using TTL...

#2 MikeO

MikeO

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1025 posts

Posted 30 May 2002 - 03:24 PM

Cool! Mine are in for the fix. Can't wait to get them back now!

Mike

Mike Oelrich
Canon EOS 40D in Seatool housing, 100mm macro, Tokina 10-17, INON Z-240s.

#3 Kasey

Kasey

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 03 June 2002 - 08:52 PM

nice macro
what housing/camera/lens are you using?
Seacam F100;D2x; 60mm;105mm;16mm;17-35; 10.5mm;12-24mm
Sea & Sea strobes
www.underthecaribbean.com

#4 Kasey

Kasey

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 04 June 2002 - 02:56 AM

nice macro
what housing/camera/lens are you using?
Seacam F100;D2x; 60mm;105mm;16mm;17-35; 10.5mm;12-24mm
Sea & Sea strobes
www.underthecaribbean.com

#5 mark jones

mark jones

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 June 2002 - 09:49 AM

about these slave sensors, have ikelite brought out a new version ? alot of people seem to be getting them fixed. i got myself a DS125 in april,i'm new to digi photography and some of my results varey in exposure,how do i know mine is working !!

#6 bobjarman

bobjarman

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 06 June 2002 - 12:09 PM

You got some nice shots!!!!!!!

Mark, the issue had something to do with the sensor causing the strobe to quench to soon (i think). In my case, it was easy to tell, most all of the images were very dark, almost like no strobe was firing at all.

You might spend a few minutes reading the threads that specifically addressed the issue, there were some god tips in them on how to check.

#7 Reefkeep

Reefkeep

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 11 June 2002 - 04:55 PM

Ok, help me guys/girls.. I just got my Ike DS-125, works great on the maunal setting but when I turn it to TTL (using the remote sensor) it seems to fire at full power when 1/8th would have been perfect.. I have played around with the settings on the Camera(cp-5000) but unless I go manual nothing seems to work. Any ideas?

#8 NLAVD

NLAVD

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 11 June 2002 - 05:29 PM

Hey Reefkeeper. I don't mind offering what input I can but I'd suggest you post that as its a new topic so everyone will see it.

A few basic questions...does the camera takes good flash shots without using the DS-125? Does it make a difference if you use a large or small aperture (ttl won't work well at the extremes)? Does it make a difference if you are close or far from the subject? Are you pointing the sensor at the camera (you cannot point it at the subject or towards the strobe)? Does the strobe give you four or five beeps after a shot (indicates a full power dump)?

[Edited on 6-12-2002 by NLAVD]

#9 Reefkeep

Reefkeep

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 11 June 2002 - 05:38 PM

The TTL Sensor is aimed at the camera flash, and I do hear four + beeps after it fires on TTL. The camera takes great pictures outside of the housing. (The housing blocks the camera's flash so without the strobe most items are under exposure) I am shooting at subjects about 1 - 2 feet away, in Macro mode. It however looks like I am still getting the full burst on wide open shots as well.

#10 bobjarman

bobjarman

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 11 June 2002 - 05:49 PM

I assume that all the shots are overexposed than?

I heard Don early say in macro he had to dial in some flash compensation to get his to work, mine seems to do fine.

#11 Reefkeep

Reefkeep

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 11 June 2002 - 05:57 PM

Very over exposed, I tryed turning the compensation down to the cameras lowest setting and it's still a white screen.

[Edited on 6-12-2002 by Reefkeep]

#12 Reefkeep

Reefkeep

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 11 June 2002 - 06:03 PM

#13 bobjarman

bobjarman

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 11 June 2002 - 06:06 PM

Thats sounds strange, when my sensor was bad, I was getting underexposed shots I think due to the system quenching too fast.

I would call Ikelite in the morning, maybe send them some shots by email of whats happening.

Sorry I can't help more

#14 NLAVD

NLAVD

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 11 June 2002 - 06:07 PM

Give Ikelite a call. The four beeps says that it's a full power dump from the strobe which is almost unheard of when using a digicam.

Oh, I didn't ask, is there a control on the camera to tell it to use TTL? Just a thought. Also, you might try both extremes with the slave sensitivity (knob on the sensor). I doubt this will fix it but it is possible.

#15 bobjarman

bobjarman

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 11 June 2002 - 06:14 PM

one last thought, what mode is the camera in, I don't know much about yours, but on the G2 if I shoot with the camera in manual mode, I get a full dump on the internal flash, so TTL does not work. I have to use AV or TV or P.

YOu might check that

#16 Reefkeep

Reefkeep

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 11 June 2002 - 06:17 PM

I tryed the sensitivity Knob, not sure it did anything good or bad. I ordered a strobe cable it should be here by Thursday, I'll see if that fixes my problem. If it does then I know the TTL sensor is bad.

AS far as a control to set the camera in TTL...Good questions...I just assumed it would allways use TTL. I'll look into it.

Thanks

If you want to see examples,

http://photos.yahoo.com/chrisbacon8297

DS125 / Then TTL or Manual

#17 Reefkeep

Reefkeep

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 11 June 2002 - 06:19 PM

Bob,

I tryed Manual and (P Nikons automatic), I'll try it on (A) or (S). Thanks for the ideas..

#18 bobjarman

bobjarman

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 11 June 2002 - 06:21 PM

I'll be willing to bet you a beer at the first wetpixel divefest that once you hook up your sync cord it works fine :P

#19 Reefkeep

Reefkeep

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 11 June 2002 - 06:23 PM

Bob

I won't take the bet (I am almost sure you are correct) I will however be glad to buy you a beer anyway!

#20 bobjarman

bobjarman

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 11 June 2002 - 06:43 PM

:P After the last dive of the day, of course. :D