• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 focker

focker

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 02:50 PM

Ha! I thought I was the only one with the disease. If I come home with one more bag I'll be sleeping in the garage. My new Stahlsac gear bag is sure nice though. :island:

Cheers,
Steve

ohhhhh I LOVE my Stahlsac!
Nauticam 550 w/ T2i - Zen 100 - Inon Z240 - Tokina 10-17 - Canon 60mm - Sola 600

#22 scorpio_fish

scorpio_fish

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1413 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:17 AM

Ha! I thought I was the only one with the disease. If I come home with one more bag I'll be sleeping in the garage. My new Stahlsac gear bag is sure nice though. :island:

Cheers,
Steve

Well, I just run to her closet, point and yell, "Shoes!!!!!". End of discussion. Then I go back to the computer and surf for some more camera bags.

Bags are to me what shoes were to Imelda Marcos.
"Me, fail English?.........Unpossible!"

#23 jswensva

jswensva

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 08:27 AM

I have a LowePro Pro Trekker 400AW which I've been using to carry-on a 5D mk II, Aquatica housing, 8" port, 3 lenses, 2 S&S 100a's, and arms. So far so good. Packed a bit tight, but it works nicely.
canon 5d mark ii, aquatica housing, 2x sea & sea 110a, canon 15mm, 17-40mm, 100mm IS, various and a sundry other bits & parts

#24 focker

focker

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 08:44 AM

OK you Bag-A-Holics... This site doesn't reviews bags but it sure does show all the options out there as they go into production!
http://www.bagexposure.com/

P.S. - Looking at the site, it looks like Tenba is getting into the roller game too. It seems to be a blend of the Think Tank and Lowepro... Dammit I really shouldn't have stumbled on this site!!!

Edited by focker, 28 January 2011 - 08:50 AM.

Nauticam 550 w/ T2i - Zen 100 - Inon Z240 - Tokina 10-17 - Canon 60mm - Sola 600

#25 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3052 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:07 AM

Well, I just run to her closet, point and yell, "Shoes!!!!!". End of discussion. Then I go back to the computer and surf for some more camera bags.

Ha Ha Ha Ha.....! :island:

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#26 johnspierce

johnspierce

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:35 AM

OK you Bag-A-Holics... This site doesn't reviews bags but it sure does show all the options out there as they go into production!
http://www.bagexposure.com/

P.S. - Looking at the site, it looks like Tenba is getting into the roller game too. It seems to be a blend of the Think Tank and Lowepro... Dammit I really shouldn't have stumbled on this site!!!

Really wish you had not posted that link!

;D

Nikon D800 | Aquatica Housing | Inon Z-240

#27 Stoo

Stoo

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 04:48 PM

I had a look into this. The problem you'll have is accommodating the 8" dome.

Thanks for all of the great replies. I picked up the system and it seems even larger than I imagined. CC, I've decided the solution for the 8" dome is to wear it as a hat. I figure if I stick a little brim on the shade, it will pass as a baseball cap and has the added benefit of protecting me from the rain!

I am going to have to put some effort into finding a bag since I am leaving in a week on a trip. I also have to figure out how all of this stuff goes together. The fellow I purchased this from (xscream here) gave me a number of tips, but it's complicated stuff (at least so far!)

Thanks again for the suggestions!

#28 Stoo

Stoo

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 06:05 PM

I have a LowePro Pro Trekker 400AW which I've been using to carry-on a 5D mk II, Aquatica housing, 8" port, 3 lenses, 2 S&S 100a's, and arms. So far so good. Packed a bit tight, but it works nicely.

I just picked up a LowePro Fastpack 350. I looked at the larger Pelican cases and they are ridiculously heavy! This 350 holds the housing, with the camera and a 50mm inside, two lenses, a macro port, the strobe and miscellaneous bits and pieces. I have left all of the labels on though. I'd like to look at the 400... a little extra space would be nice.

Jswensva, have you had any issues at airport with that pack? It looks pretty big...

Edited by Stoo, 30 January 2011 - 06:14 PM.

#29 TomR1

TomR1

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 08:21 PM

I have a LowePro which is just at airline size restrictions assuming that you strip everything off it and don't use the external pouch. I carry three camera cases (d-300, e-620 and e-330) and 6 strobes plus multiple ports. I do put my arms and trays in the external pouch and have never been hasseled. You CAN get well over 50 pounds in the bag and that is often overweight.

I posted the date in the other thread.

#30 robertsalisbury

robertsalisbury

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 06:39 PM

I just bought a Low Pro Runner 450AW. It's described as airline friendly. I managed to get a Aquatica 5dMK11 housing, macro port with extension , 4 lenses (15mm, 24mm L, sigma 50mm,100mm L) 2x ds125's ,viewfinder ,arms and chargers + 15"MBP. All this weighs over 15kg's though and I still can't get the megadome in. So i've put that in a Low Pro nova 200 AW. If i do get pulled then I can get about 7-8kg's in both and a little less with the laptop in it 's own bag. I just get the felling of being like a pack horse lugging all these bags about. I've checked gear in before but on a couple of occasions bags have gone missing ( clothes not camera gear thank god) so it's not a risk worth taking for me. I did look at the Kata bumblee 220. It looks like an awesome bag but was just over the airline size's that i've been told.

Edited by robertsalisbury, 04 February 2011 - 06:45 PM.

#31 Alastair

Alastair

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:03 AM

I use a Kata 105 (i think) back pack with the side pockets. I managed to get almost all my gear inside except the dome port in it!

2 x inon strobes,
Cahrgers / batteries / cards
2 arm sets + 2 x 8" section
3 lenses + 1 tele convertor - 10.5, 60, 105 VR, Pro 300 tele
1 aquatica extension ring (for the 105)
flat port - auto / manual focus
Camera body + AD90 housing and handles
Dell Laptop 15" + charger
O-ring kits and grease
ipod..

Due to the straps on it the bag is comfortable fully loaded you can stand in queue and easily pretend it ways just a smidgin over 7kg. It also means even if my luggage goes missing i can always do macro and just wait for the bag to show up - hopefully :(

Edited by Alastair, 09 February 2011 - 12:04 AM.

Alastair

Nikon D90 Aquatica housing, nikkor 60mm, ,105VR mm, 18-70mm, 17-55mm, 10.5mm FE, 15mm FE, 10-20mm.
Inon strobes, TLC arms.

www.mcgregorUW.smugmug.com

#32 jswensva

jswensva

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 06:47 AM

I just picked up a LowePro Fastpack 350. I looked at the larger Pelican cases and they are ridiculously heavy! This 350 holds the housing, with the camera and a 50mm inside, two lenses, a macro port, the strobe and miscellaneous bits and pieces. I have left all of the labels on though. I'd like to look at the 400... a little extra space would be nice.

Jswensva, have you had any issues at airport with that pack? It looks pretty big...

So far no issues with this bag. I know when I looked at it that LowePro has one larger, the 600AW or something, which is too large for carry-on. The laptop sleeve on this bag can be removed, so hopefully won't be weighed with the bag, though knock on wood I have yet to have this bag weighed. Probably something about having it on one's back that doesn't arouse as much suspicion as a heavy looking hand-held bag. The top cover also zips off and can be used as a fanny bag, further reducing the 'calculated' weight, should need arise. I still keep a photogs vest zipped in the pocket, just in case. I used to travel with Pelicans and still do for checked luggage (with a beat-up bag zipped around them for camoflauge), but this thing weighs so much less and fits my gear quite nicely.
canon 5d mark ii, aquatica housing, 2x sea & sea 110a, canon 15mm, 17-40mm, 100mm IS, various and a sundry other bits & parts

#33 ErolE

ErolE

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 09:49 AM

Backpack is an interesting idea. I'm curious though about your "better quality" statement. My experience with the Thinktank gear makes that a little hard to believe. Can you help me out and let me know why you felt that way?

Steve

Just to throw another option out there...What about a thinktank Airpot Ultra-Light. The backpack will fit into a pelican case 1510. Great i the field. Easy access, water tight indestructible. Best of both worlds, easily carried backpack plus ultimate protection

But if you haven t been doing all the correct prostrating in front the God at check in and they happen to weigh your check in you can take out the Ultralight with camera gear and check an empty peli in....

If the Ultra light is still over weight.... Well then I slip round the corner and load all my gear into my lowe pro vest ......devious, but needs must.

Erol

http://www.thinktank...t-backpack.aspx
Erol Eriksson
www.photographee.org
Unified Team Diving

#34 MIKE POWELL

MIKE POWELL

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:54 AM

I'm diggn' my ThinkTank Security V2.0...able to fit my 8" Zen dome upright and all my other junk plus the bag has wheels, backpack straps, and a laptop compartment.

Mike
Visit My Website

7D Nauticam + Z240's

#35 Stoo

Stoo

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 07:15 PM

After staring at the Lowepro fora week, I decided to return it. I realized that if I was forced to check it, all of the stuff in the top of the pack was completely vulnerable.

I ended up buying a Pelican 1510. Having just returned from Utila, it worked well and I had no issues at all flying. I figured if I did need to check it, it would have protected my kit well.

Having said that, I am ordering a second strobe tomorrow... I might need to carry it in my pocket!

Thanks for your help folks!

#36 Undertow

Undertow

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 08:26 PM

I'm diggn' my ThinkTank Security V2.0...able to fit my 8" Zen dome upright and all my other junk plus the bag has wheels, backpack straps, and a laptop compartment.

Mike

Hey Mike,

That bag looks very cool, but from the photo's doesn't look like it could fit a dome upright. Looks like it just fits a pro body upright. Is it tight? Could a 9.25" dome fit upright? I really like the look of that bag with a cable lock & zipper locks, laptop compartment etc.

I use a Kata CC-195 case. Its designed for large video cameras and is surprisingly solid for the weight. But the real key to this is the shape, its tall enough to fit a 9.25" dome upright and thus the most advantageous use of available space. I've fit D700 housing, 9.25" dome, macro port, ext rings, 2 strobes, 300mm/2.8 lens, external HD, 1 or 2 lenses and other bits. Housing handles & strobe arms get checked. The bodies & other lenses go in a small camera bag that fits the 'personal item' specifications barely. They also make a small lightweight dolly that fits through a strap on the case that turns it to a roller bag. And yes it's carry on size. Cheers,

Chris
D200, Aquatica, 10.5, sig 15, 12-24, 17-55, 60, 105
3x SB-105