• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 jcclink

jcclink

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 04:44 PM

Just got a GoPro to mount on my dslr housing just to play with. Wondering if condensation is going to be a problem. My guess is yes. Any experience with this? Thanks.

Edited by jcclink, 29 January 2011 - 07:02 PM.

Nexus D300, 10-17mm, 12-24mm, 17-55mm, 60mm, 105mm VR
S&S YS110's & YS27's

#2 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts
  • Interests:water and sun my friend, thats what turns me on.

Posted 29 January 2011 - 07:54 PM

I just saw quite a few being used. Not by me but a film crew I dove with recently used about 8 of them. They opened them up changed cards used them multiple times. All in hot humid air and cool water. They didn't seem to have any condensation issues.

I would guess there is not enough air in those tiny housings to cause condensation.

I would try it and not worry about it unless it happens. If it does happen there is no room in the housing for silica packs so only solution is open andclose in a dry air environment.
me on the web >> journal / flickr / portfolio
i use >> my camera, eye & stunning good looks

#3 Guamrider

Guamrider

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 08:50 PM

FYI, there's a soft focus issue on the GoPro HD housing when shooting u/w so you might want to get a flat lens corrected housing. There's a couple of manufacturers of these, and one of em is here: http://www.eyeofmine...opro/index.html.

I also took the camera with the flat lens housing out and tested it under varying conditions. The video is here:

Hope this helps.

#4 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 29 January 2011 - 08:53 PM

I used a GoPro HD in an Eye of Mine housing to do one of the recent DiveFilm HD podcasts:

[vimeohd]15477950[/vimeohd]

No issues with condensation.
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#5 Hamish Morrison

Hamish Morrison

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 05:19 AM

I have one that I use with the flat port from eyeofmine & although it is a bit home made in appearance it is an improvement over the standard port. Never had any condensation issues with it. If you put a big enough card in you rarely have to open it anyway!
My Flickr
Canon 5D, 17-40mm, 15mm FE, 100mm Macro, Subal C5 and Inon 240's

#6 jcclink

jcclink

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:09 AM

Thanks guys. I'm waiting for a Sartek housing, so that should help with u/w shots.
S&S YS110's & YS27's

#7 rovanpera

rovanpera

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 05:18 PM

I got the Gopro hero hd recently, yesterday the housing fogged after 25 minutes. I had the camera on all the time, and was snorkeling to 10-15m repeatedly...

#8 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2837 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 31 January 2011 - 02:46 PM

I tested both the GoPRO HD housing and the Eye of Mine in Roatan last Oct. The water temp varied between a too warm 86-88 but never had a fogging issue. I will be testing out the Sartek housing the next time I am in the water. It looks like the Eye of Mine but more professionally made and I doubt there will be much, if any, difference.
Steve
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#9 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 2985 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:27 PM

No issues with condensation.

How about teeth marks? That's seriously crazy stuff Eric.

Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#10 jcclink

jcclink

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:06 PM

Looks like I should get a second camera :P
S&S YS110's & YS27's

#11 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:25 AM

How about teeth marks? That's seriously crazy stuff Eric.

Cheers,
Steve

Lots of scratches, but none on the port, for some reason. Eye of Mine asked for the housing back so they could put it in their archives (they sent me a new one). :P
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#12 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2837 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:00 AM

Go Pro has just released the monitor and a new back cover for the wet housing. Hope to be getting and reviewing it soon
Steve
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#13 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1705 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:29 AM

Hi all,

Full details of the new LCD back are on the front page here.

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#14 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1378 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:36 PM

Great news. These are going to be incredibly useful little cameras!

#15 meister

meister

Manta Ray

• Team Wetpixel
  • 473 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 07:26 AM

I just ordered one of the cameras with one of the LCD BacPacs, a couple mounts, and anti-fog inserts. All is supposed to be currently in stock.
Canon 5D, 5D MK III, Canon 15, 17-40 & 100mm
Aquatica, Ikelight
donhughes.us

#16 jcclink

jcclink

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 08:32 AM

Also bought a separate 110/220v battery charger from rpmgear.com so I don't have to connect to a computer to recharge. LCD back is on its way. Just wondering how it will affect battery life.

Edited by jcclink, 02 February 2011 - 08:34 AM.

S&S YS110's & YS27's

#17 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2837 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:43 AM

Go Pro is coming out with a double battery so B life shouldn't be an issue. Also expect a 3D housing as well.
Steve
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas

#18 Ferg42

Ferg42

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:46 AM

All good stuff. I have two LCD bacpacs on the way to me now, and hoping to try out some UW 3D shooting with two separate units, ahead of the 3D housing (which hopefully should help a lot with sync). I'll post results if I get anything worth showing.
EOS 7D, Nauticam housing, EOS 5D II, Ikelite, Inon z240, Inon D180, Tok 10-17, 15 FE, 17-40, 105 Macro
Sony HC7, Gates Housing
Visit My Website

#19 meister

meister

Manta Ray

• Team Wetpixel
  • 473 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:32 PM

Go Pro is coming out with a double battery so B life shouldn't be an issue.

I noted the better battery forthcoming, good reason to hold off buying an extra spare (standard) battery for now... I saw rpmgear had the $20 wall charger in stock a couple days ago.
Canon 5D, 5D MK III, Canon 15, 17-40 & 100mm
Aquatica, Ikelight
donhughes.us

#20 ehanauer

ehanauer

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Chicago Cubs baseball, Mac computers, swimming, Porsches

Posted 04 February 2011 - 06:19 AM

Just got the LCD backpack. Allows review, as well as menu access and navigation with real words as opposed to obscure abbreviations. Makes the Gopro a useful tool instead of a novelty.
Eric
www.ehanauer.com