NEX-5 4.33" dome port protection

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Narkedat90

Narkedat90

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:We manufacture bespoke and technical diving equipment.<br />We also dive for pleasure at www.silentrunning.org.uk

Posted 30 January 2011 - 11:15 AM

When clanking about on the boat with rebreather and multiple stages, big jumps from the lift and long deco's I was worried the neoprene cover wouldnt be sufficient.
CAD - CAM - to this!
Slight downside is the huge billet of Delrin it came from. lots of wastage from material thats £750 per metre.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Copying skips understanding. Understanding is how you grow. You have to understand why something works or why something is how it is. When you copy it, you miss that. You just repurpose the last layer instead of understanding all the layers underneath

#2 Cp

Cp

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 01:27 PM

When clanking about on the boat with rebreather and multiple stages, big jumps from the lift and long deco's I was worried the neoprene cover wouldnt be sufficient.
CAD - CAM - to this!
Slight downside is the huge billet of Delrin it came from. lots of wastage from material thats £750 per metre.

Well done.. :-)

Cheers,
Cp

Chris Parsons
Nauticam USA / Zen Underwater
innovation at nauticamusa
www.nauticamusa.com
954-489-8678

#3 Alex_Tattersall

Alex_Tattersall

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 12:06 AM

Hey Brent,

Good idea!

Alex
www.flickr.com/photos/alextattersall

www.nauticamuk.com
www.uwvisions.com
Exclusive official importer of Nauticam products into the UK and Ireland

#4 scottleslie

scottleslie

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:15 AM

Nice job!
Nova Scotia, CANADA Bay of Fundy: A Natural Portrait, Wetland Birds of North America, Woodland Birds of North America, Seabirds of North America http://www.scottlesliephoto.com

#5 Dupsbear

Dupsbear

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 03:18 PM

[quote name='Narkedat90' date='Jan 30 2011, 12:15 PM' post='273510']
CAD - CAM - to this!

Great job machining!

I hate that you had to grind away so much Delrin.

For my little Bare ports, I found the Lens Coat Hoodie works great; they even come in different colors. Their hoodies have a piece of fairly hard 3/8" rubber pad that can be removed if necessary.

Barry
www.creativeillusionsphoto.com
www.marinekeywords.com

#6 JimSwims

JimSwims

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 01:30 AM

Hi Barry,

which size Hoodie Lens Cap did you find best to snugly fit the shade of the Baré dome port?

Cheers,
Jim.

My photostream on Flickr My gallery on Redbubble

D90 in Nexus; 60mm, Woody's Diopter, 105mm, SubSee +5 & +10 magnifiers, 10-17mm, Kenko 1.4 TC, 10-24mm, 18-55mm & Inon Z240 strobes.

#7 diver dave1

diver dave1

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts
  • Interests:chess, u/w photography

Posted 18 April 2011 - 06:55 PM

which size Hoodie Lens Cap did you find best to snugly fit the shade of the Baré dome port?

I use the Inon small dome cover. It snaps into place due to the shape of the neoprene so no chance of it coming off. Not as hard as these other offerings however.
You cannot scratch the port but you could break it with a sharp blow.
Inon dome port link

Nauticam D7000, Inon Z-240's, 60 micro, 105 micro, Tokina 10-17

www.shiningseastudio.com

#8 pmerc

pmerc

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 07:56 PM

Barry, I would be also interested in the item too!

#9 Dupsbear

Dupsbear

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 11:23 AM

Barry, I would be also interested in the item too!

Hi Phil,

Lens Coat XXL hoodie works best with the Bare port assembly. Go to http://www.lenscoat....arge-p-386.html to order and please tell them I sent you.

There is a picture of the hoodie installed on a Bare port on the Bare website at http://www.bareports.com/saleport.htm.

Barry
www.bareports.com
www.keywordworkflow.com

#10 JimSwims

JimSwims

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 05:26 PM

Hi Barry,

is the XXL size a tight fit, as in will it stay on for dive entries and exits? I'm after a neoprene type cover to take with me on the dive and then
protect the dome as I'm jumping in and climbing out.

BTW been loving the Baré dome and been having fun using it with the Nikkor 18-55m VR too.

Cheers,
Jim.

My photostream on Flickr My gallery on Redbubble

D90 in Nexus; 60mm, Woody's Diopter, 105mm, SubSee +5 & +10 magnifiers, 10-17mm, Kenko 1.4 TC, 10-24mm, 18-55mm & Inon Z240 strobes.

#11 diver dave1

diver dave1

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts
  • Interests:chess, u/w photography

Posted 27 April 2011 - 05:46 AM

BTW been loving the Baré dome and been having fun using it with the Nikkor 18-55m VR too.

Thanks for that info. I have the Nexus 1017 dome. I might try the 18-5 in it and see how it works. First I will have to see if it fits.

Nauticam D7000, Inon Z-240's, 60 micro, 105 micro, Tokina 10-17

www.shiningseastudio.com

#12 Dupsbear

Dupsbear

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 09:45 AM

Hi Barry,

is the XXL size a tight fit, as in will it stay on for dive entries and exits? I'm after a neoprene type cover to take with me on the dive and then
protect the dome as I'm jumping in and climbing out.

Cheers,
Jim.

Hey Jim,

I would not call it a super tight fit, but the end of the hoodie does wrap around the back of the dome port assembly. The hoodie will not fall off unless you take it off, and should work fine for entries and exits if you don't jump in with the housing in hand. The hoodie material is like a very pliable soft wetsuit.

I would love to see the images you have taken, and am sure everyone else would too, especially with the 18-55mm lens. It is always nice to know a product will work with other combinations.

Barry
www.bareports.com
www.marinekeywords.com