• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 vazuw

vazuw

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:27 AM

Does anyone have website for a company that sells port scratch repair kits?

#2 londonsean69

londonsean69

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Photography, Building a kit car, Pub

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:43 AM

Assuming you mean for an acrylic (plastic) dome then Google "Micro Mesh polishing kit".

How deep are the scratches? I removed some light scratches using Autoglym paint renovator (a very fine liquid cutting compound). And by light, I mean it was some hazing of the inside of the port (a gear came loose and spent a few days rolling around in there :P ).

There are a few threads on here on how to do it, just have a search - but start here - Removing scratches from a dome port

If it's glass, your options are limited.

Edited by londonsean69, 01 February 2011 - 08:44 AM.

Toys - D90, Tokina 10-17, 60 macro, 105 macro, Ike housing, 2xYS110

#3 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3023 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:59 AM

For light scratches in acrylic, Novus polishing kit is available on Amazon, 2 oz, version for less than $10. There is also a larger 10 oz. kit

Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#4 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:06 AM

Agree with Steve, Novus for acrylic ports works just fine and unless they are really deep scratches they won't show in your underwater clips anyway. If your port is glass like the Fathoms ports you may have to send it back to be re-polished and that is an expensive fix.
Steve
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#5 Jo Horrocks

Jo Horrocks

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:59 PM

I read that title as pork scratchings.......why is it when you're on a diet everything reminds you of food!!!!! :P
Jo H

Sony XR520, Aditech Mangrove housing, Fix 1000 LED lights.

#6 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1313 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:38 PM

I read that title as pork scratchings.......why is it when you're on a diet everything reminds you of food!!!!! :P

LOL!!

Another vote for Novus, I have a tiny mark on my SWP44 fathom port and the cost for a new glass front element is around $900 so definitely not a cheap option, it doesn't show though so I'll wait till I get some more :)

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#7 wbk

wbk

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:Diving, diving.. and every so often diving and a little bit of photography thrown in.

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:58 AM

ok, now i want some pork scratchlings too!

There is another long post about this somewhere but i still reckon brasso is the best and cheapest solution out there... any mild abrasive will work.. silver / brass polish, even car wax... but the kits def seem good if it is a deep scratch as seems like it would take less time.
Canon 5DMkII, Hugyfot, Inon Z240 MkIV's, 100mm f2.8L, 17-40mm f4L