22 replies to this topic

#21 jarhed

jarhed

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Interests:SCUBA/Underwater Photography<br />Travel

Posted 05 March 2011 - 02:02 PM

Here's a few from the manta dive, it was challenging, mostly due to all the stuff in the water (plankton attracted to the lights, and all the silt kicked up by the numerous divers there.)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Overall a fun and very rewarding experience. We were luck to have over a dozen mantas feeding around us for about an hour.

I used the Tokina 10-17 for these and generally used other lights to focus to avoid all the "stuff" attracted to the lights from gathering in front of my dome. because the D200 isn't too good at high ISO, I tried to keep it below ISO 200.

Take care,
john

Edited by jarhed, 05 March 2011 - 02:06 PM.

John B
Nikon D7000, Nauticam Housing
http://overundertravels.smugmug.com/

#22 diver dave1

diver dave1

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Interests:chess, u/w photography

Posted 17 March 2011 - 12:43 AM

I used a D200 w/ 60mm 2.8 D. 2x 90DX strobes on manual control and 2 focus lights. One to look far and one pointed to illuminate the critters once I had them in front of my lens.

I shot w/ autofocus, which seems good enough. the surge was just enough to make manual focus really hard.

John,
Do you recall what 2 focus lights you used?

Nauticam D7000, Inon Z-240's, 60 micro, 105 micro, Tokina 10-17

www.shiningseastudio.com

#23 diver dave1

diver dave1

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Interests:chess, u/w photography

Posted 28 March 2011 - 06:55 PM

What I really need... is someone interested in renting a very powerful light for this dive. Since its a short term need for me and a significant purchase, it seems to make sense to rent the light if someone is willing to offer a rental. The dive shops do not rent anything powerful enough which is not too surprising.

anyone interested in renting a 500 lumen or stronger light for this dive? We can work together to make certain its insured for the dive and trip, etc.

dave

Nauticam D7000, Inon Z-240's, 60 micro, 105 micro, Tokina 10-17

www.shiningseastudio.com