• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Pfuller

Pfuller

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 05:27 PM

I want to change a sync cord from a nikonos connector to an ikelite connector. using a couple of old sync cords.

I've tried rewiring an ikelite connector previously when some wires broke due to bending. It was relatively successful but difficult, because you cant access the pins directly (where the wires meet the pins is all encased in the plastic connector). So what i had to do, was cut the wires very short, resolder the wires, and then reseal the join in the grommet sealed metal housing. Using this method, its very easy to cut the connector too short, and possibly pull the wires off the pins in the plastic. Its also hard to get the join in the metal housing beyond the grommet to stop water entry. So, i'm considering cutting the cord, mid-cord somewhere, and joining the wires together and resealing the join. I'm considering just using heat-shrink wire joiner, but i doubt it will provide a reliable seal. Can anyone recommend a way to waterproof a wire after being rejoined?

#2 Pfuller

Pfuller

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 06:38 PM

I think i've found what i'm looking for on google.. "Rescue tape".

A self-fusing silicone tape. Anyone used this stuff? sounds great.

#3 Balrog

Balrog

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 12:12 AM

Self fusing tape, takes a long time to truly bond together and is still prone to micro voids.

I think you will be fine with the type of heat shrink tubing that has an internal coating of hot melt adhesive, providing you leave an inch or so of overlap each end with the sheath.

eg http://www.rapidonli...82995/kw/shrink

#4 briand123

briand123

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 08:11 AM

Self fusing tape, takes a long time to truly bond together and is still prone to micro voids.

I think you will be fine with the type of heat shrink tubing that has an internal coating of hot melt adhesive, providing you leave an inch or so of overlap each end with the sheath.

eg http://www.rapidonli...82995/kw/shrink

A splice isn't a good thing IMO. I believe the right way to solder wires to an Ikelite ICS plug or socket to the wires is to remove the gold pins from the plastic connector (they will push out), solder them on the ends of the wires, cool, deflux, then and push them back in, being careful to align them. That way the heat from soldering has no effect on the plastic connector inside body, and it's much easier to solder on the pins that way of course. In addition to patience, it helps to have good solder station and tools for building cables.

#5 Pfuller

Pfuller

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 04:50 PM

I believe the right way to solder wires to an Ikelite ICS plug or socket to the wires is to remove the gold pins from the plastic connector (they will push out), solder them on the ends of the wires, cool, deflux, then and push them back in, being careful to align them.

Thanks a million for this advice Brian! I didn't realise that the pins could push out of the plastic connector. One of the wires broke up inside the connector on one of my old cords, so last night i was able to fix this using this suggestion. Worked a treat!

On my dual sync cord, i have a broken wire up near the spliter. Does anyone know how to get inside the splitter? It seems to have a join in the middle of the barrel that's sealed. Do you have to cut this in half and reseal? Or can you twist it to break the seal and rescrew it?

Here's a pic from this thread - http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=24721 - hope andrew doesn't mind me reposting it here?

Posted Image

You can see the join between the shining and matt finishes on the splitter. The wires are joined within this splitter (spliced/circuit board???), either way i have to get in here to fix the bad connection. Anyone done this before?

#6 meteuz

meteuz

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:39 AM

In case you have not resolved this yet, the Ike splitter just unscrews in the middle and it is o-ring sealed, so you should have no worries about opening and closing it. Just make sure that first you loosen the nut on the single cable side and pull back the rubber compression gland inside so that the cable does not have to rotate as you unscrew the splitter. Otherwise the wiring inside will be all twisted and potentially damaged by the time you open it.

Thanks a million for this advice Brian! I didn't realise that the pins could push out of the plastic connector. One of the wires broke up inside the connector on one of my old cords, so last night i was able to fix this using this suggestion. Worked a treat!

On my dual sync cord, i have a broken wire up near the spliter. Does anyone know how to get inside the splitter? It seems to have a join in the middle of the barrel that's sealed. Do you have to cut this in half and reseal? Or can you twist it to break the seal and rescrew it?

You can see the join between the shining and matt finishes on the splitter. The wires are joined within this splitter (spliced/circuit board???), either way i have to get in here to fix the bad connection. Anyone done this before?