• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jasoncassanova

Jasoncassanova

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 02:09 AM

So here it goes, well I a G11 in an Ikelite housing, I bought an Inon 165mm macro lens, the first time I used the lens I learned that you need to zoom out the lens so that the shot I take doesn't make that James Bond 007 kind of circle in my photos. So I zoomed it out all the way to the line that I see in my bar on the top part of the lcd when I zoom the lens, then I bought another Inon 165mm macro lens and stacked it on the first one that I bought. now my question is, do I have to zoom out the lens all the way to that line on G11's zoom "bar" (?) or just zoom it enough so as not to create that barrel look in my photos?

#2 derway

derway

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1136 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 09:13 AM

Can you show us some examples? Having to zoom out doesn't make sense to me, unless it is for focusing closer...
Don Erway
http://picasaweb.google.com/onederway/
http://www.pbase.com/derway

nikon n90s/ikelite housing/twin SS-200 canon G2/ikelite/DS-50/optical TTL slave
sony V3/ikelite/DS-51/Heinrich DA2 slave

#3 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1522 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:06 AM

So here it goes, well I a G11 in an Ikelite housing, I bought an Inon 165mm macro lens, the first time I used the lens I learned that you need to zoom out the lens so that the shot I take doesn't make that James Bond 007 kind of circle in my photos. So I zoomed it out all the way to the line that I see in my bar on the top part of the lcd when I zoom the lens, then I bought another Inon 165mm macro lens and stacked it on the first one that I bought. now my question is, do I have to zoom out the lens all the way to that line on G11's zoom "bar" (?) or just zoom it enough so as not to create that barrel look in my photos?

In general if you are getting vignetting, you should need to zoom in (toward the telephoto direction rather than toward the wide direction) and you should zoom in just until you see no more vignetting.
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#4 Deep6

Deep6

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:08 AM

Can you show us some examples? Having to zoom out doesn't make sense to me, unless it is for focusing closer...

May be the 007 effect is from vinetting. "Zooming out" to a less wide setting would eliminate the dark circle.
Bob

Carpe carp - Seize the carp

#5 Scubamoose

Scubamoose

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1118 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, travel.

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:26 AM

Yes - it's obviously vignetting and You need to ZOOM IN (that's the right termin here as Bill mentioned) just enough that the vignetting is gone and then You can but this setting under one of You'r custom settings (with an Tv and Av good to start out with) so You dont have to zoom in every time.

Cheers
Karel
My Flickr
www.karelbernard.com

Karel Bernard
Canon G9 in Ikelite Housing; SubStrobe DS-160
WA lens Ikelite W-20; Inon UCL-165 M67 Close-up Lenses

#6 Panda

Panda

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Interests:Split levels, timelapse, temperate critters.

Posted 04 February 2011 - 01:22 PM

If what you're after is maximum magnification then you would zoom all the way to the long end of the zoom range when using add on macro lenses.

(Zoom IN on the image or zoom the lens OUT??? Confusing terminology! Best to say zoom long or zoom wide)

The CUT OFF (not vignette) occurs when the lens is too wide for whatever is out front.

Now your question was ".....do I have to zoom out the lens all the way to that line on G11's zoom "bar" (?) or just zoom it enough so as not to create that barrel look in my photos?"

Answer....Whatever works. Try it and see.

anewton.net - UW blog - KAP blog
Victoria Australia. Nikon D7000, Lumix LX3. Ikelite. Inon. GoPro 2

#7 Jasoncassanova

Jasoncassanova

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 03:18 PM

thanks guys for the time, panda actually got what I meant with my question :)

#8 Scubamoose

Scubamoose

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1118 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, travel.

Posted 05 February 2011 - 12:15 AM

Jason, if You get a sharp focus with x2 stacked macro lenses when the image is zoomed in to the maximum (or lens out :) ), the I would like to see it.
I have found it very hard to get a sharp focus with double macro lenses when I have zoomed just enough to get rid of the vignetting - more zooming and I was not able to get any results I was happy with.

Cheers
Karel
My Flickr
www.karelbernard.com

Karel Bernard
Canon G9 in Ikelite Housing; SubStrobe DS-160
WA lens Ikelite W-20; Inon UCL-165 M67 Close-up Lenses