• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Pfuller

Pfuller

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 07:39 PM

What are people's thoughts on Force Fins for photographers? I hear that they are good for manouverablity in the water, but how about for stability and balance?

The biggest issue that comes to mind is keeping stable doing macro/supermacro work. I think i tend to stick one of my fins up behind me and use it as a rudder to control movement. Do force Fins have enough surface area to generate force without kicking (e.g only with slight movement?)

I'd love to hear from anyone that owns a pair and does alot of macro work.

#2 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2275 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 08:14 PM

I've used them for 20 years and think they are the best.

I don't see what photography has to do with it. Either a fin works for you or it doesn't.

I've never had a problem doing macro with them.
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#3 Scubysnaps

Scubysnaps

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, Aprilia RSVR, VW Vans! www.scubysnaps.com

Posted 07 February 2011 - 12:21 AM

I've used them for sbout 150 dives. They really do take some getting used to, but I love them and wouldnt part with them, macrowise, same as Dave, never had a problem
Cheers
Paul

*Nikon D90 with Tokina 10-17 & Nikon 60mm, 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Kenko1.4 * 2 x Z240 & 2 x 12 litres...global! *

www.scubysnaps.com >)))░>

#4 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1168 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 07 February 2011 - 12:32 AM

I've never used Force Fins so I'm not qualified to give an opinion. But what I see of other divers who do wear them is they always use a flutter kick and not a frog kick. For me, a frog kick gives the best control forwards, backwards and rotationally so a nice stiff traditional fin works best. In a drysuit I use Scubapro Jets and diving wet I use Quattros. I guess fin selection will depend on your preferred finning style...
· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm
· INON Z-240s & Sea & Sea YS-250 Pros
· SmallHD DP4 monitor & NA-DP4. Fisheye Aquavolt 3500s & 7000s
· Zen DP-100, DP-200 & DP-230

#5 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 01:09 AM

I've never used Force Fins so I'm not qualified to give an opinion. But what I see of other divers who do wear them is they always use a flutter kick and not a frog kick. For me, a frog kick gives the best control forwards, backwards and rotationally so a nice stiff traditional fin works best. In a drysuit I use Scubapro Jets and diving wet I use Quattros. I guess fin selection will depend on your preferred finning style...

I can frog kick, helicopter, and back up all in my force fins (I use Pros, Flying Force, extras and accelerators) without a problem. I use my FF more then i do any other fin i have owned, and to the point I really dont want to dive a blade any longer then my extras which are shorter then quattros/jets. Yes they take some getting used to (and not one or two dives, but like around 10-15 before i got comfortable) but now its not a issue. its really not a full flutter kick (at least with the originals and pros) but a kick from the knee down and only between say 0 to 90 degrees as anything more then that is wasted energy being directed straight down.

Pfuller- I do something similar to what your talking about alot i have one foot that is in a frog kick position while the other is doing a from the knee down flutter kick and i can hold position very well. CFWA, Macro etc its not a issue

IMHO & FWIW

#6 Scubysnaps

Scubysnaps

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 02:16 AM

I do both with mine Tim, equally perform as good, but actually lately, I think I lean more towards Frog kicking
Cheers
Paul

*Nikon D90 with Tokina 10-17 & Nikon 60mm, 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Kenko1.4 * 2 x Z240 & 2 x 12 litres...global! *

#7 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1168 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 07 February 2011 - 02:29 AM

I stand corrected chaps! :)
· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm
· INON Z-240s & Sea & Sea YS-250 Pros
· SmallHD DP4 monitor & NA-DP4. Fisheye Aquavolt 3500s & 7000s
· Zen DP-100, DP-200 & DP-230

#8 bkkchriss4

bkkchriss4

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:05 AM

I know a lot of people who love them and seem to have great control in them - personally I have not really tried them recently enough to comment.

I highly recommend APS Mantaray fins (the black are the stiffest of the colors), they are very light, great for travel, quite good for most type of kicking (I am a frog kick guy and have no problems, forward, back, side to side) and I find them great for photographers making adjustments close to subjects.

I also use OMS Slipstreams, but now am 100% APS in warm waters and probably 75% in cold.

Cheers,
Chris

Olympus OM-D

#9 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1723 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:58 AM

I've used Force Fins for years and I really like them and when they finally wear out will replace them with another set. BUT, I've loaned them to friends who have hated them so its best to try some before buying.
Paul Kay, Canon EOS5D/5DII, SEACAM/S45, 15, 24L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales underseacameras & marinewildlife & paulkayphotography & welshmarinefish

#10 Scubysnaps

Scubysnaps

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 05:23 AM

It took me 5 months to get used to mine, that was regular diving nearly every weekend too, very easy to hate, but seeing as I bought them I was determined to get used to them!! Most people would easily say they hate them if they havent paid for them and just tried them once or twice!
Cheers
Paul

#11 danielandrewclem

danielandrewclem

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Interests:writing, photography, fish

Posted 07 February 2011 - 07:05 AM

I love them. Pros:
1) More strain on the stronger muscles of your legs and less strain on your ankles and hips. Less work = slower use of air = longer dive.
2) As others have noted, you can flick the fins toward your shins to back up from a subject.
3) With the classic/pro model, the blades are short and tilted up, which means you can put them on at your seat on the dive boat and walk to the platform/ladder. This isn't advisable in every situation, but it's a nice option to have if the boat and the staff allow for it.
4) They don't take up a lot of room in your luggage, and they're pretty lightweight, too.
5) Less likely to kick marine life or fellow divers
6) If diving on sand or muck, you can easily tuck the tips of the fins into the bottom to keep yourself in placeŚnot so easy to do with longer fins.

Cons:
1) The classic FFs aren't great at the surface, at least not with flutter kicking.
2) They aren't very comfortable on the tops of your feet, so you may need to buy the comfort instep or wear boots. I usually wear thin neoprene socks and use the foam inserts, too. Never felt the need for the bungie straps instead of the included ones.
Flickr 5D Mk II & 20D | Ikelite

#12 Pfuller

Pfuller

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:16 PM

Thanks for everyones feedback. I do a lot of shore diving, which sometimes involves surface swims of around 300m(1000ft) in surge and chop. What would be the best style of FF for surface swimming?

#13 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2275 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:49 PM

Thanks for everyones feedback. I do a lot of shore diving, which sometimes involves surface swims of around 300m(1000ft) in surge and chop. What would be the best style of FF for surface swimming?

Force Fin extra
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#14 dykvideo

dykvideo

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Diving and sailing.

Posted 08 February 2011 - 01:23 AM

Hi,

I just love my forcefins, have the pro fin, and have many times followed up in currents in the surface with the guys who had other kind of fins.

S°ren
www.dykvideo.dk

#15 Pfuller

Pfuller

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 02:30 AM

Force Fin extra

cool $786...

WHAT?!?! SEVEN HUNDRED AND EIGHTY-SIX DOLLARS??? FOR FINS!?!?! :(

well..at least they come in amethyst purple :D

#16 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1578 posts
  • Interests:World travel
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 08 February 2011 - 03:44 AM

cool $786...

WHAT?!?! SEVEN HUNDRED AND EIGHTY-SIX DOLLARS??? FOR FINS!?!?! :(

well..at least they come in amethyst purple :D

Plus extras.

Do people really spend this money on fins.?

Stew

Canon 5D MK2 - Sea and Sea housed - 17-40L 100mm - Sigma 15mm FE - twin YS250 pro's and gadgets galore

http://www.euphoticzoneimaging.com

#17 MIKE POWELL

MIKE POWELL

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:25 AM

For once we agree on something Stew!

That's a crap load of clams for a pair of fins...plus I can't find them locally to test them.

What is a good fin for snorkeling/free diving and SCUBA...small, light, and doesn't break the bank?

Mike
Visit My Website

7D Nauticam + Z240's

#18 Scubysnaps

Scubysnaps

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 05:27 AM

I agree with those acclerator ones, crazy price, easier to buy a fancy dress devil suit if u wanna go round looking like the devil.
The normal ones however rdont break the bank, aespecially if u can afford to be an UWP, and its no point testing them, you gotta trust them, they take their time to grow on you, and that they do
Cheers
Paul

#19 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1578 posts
  • Interests:World travel
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 08 February 2011 - 06:00 AM

For once we agree on something Stew!
Mike

Now theres a first

they take their time to grow on you, and that they do

How much have yours grown so far Paul, and do they still fit in your dive bag :(

Stew

Edited by stewsmith, 08 February 2011 - 06:01 AM.

Canon 5D MK2 - Sea and Sea housed - 17-40L 100mm - Sigma 15mm FE - twin YS250 pro's and gadgets galore

http://www.euphoticzoneimaging.com

#20 Scubysnaps

Scubysnaps

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 06:18 AM

Ha ha! Thats where they actually get awkward as they stick out a bit!..in my dive bag not in my shoes!!
When I was on my recent trip (lets not talk about that!) I tried those long skin diver fins, couldnt believe how much better force fins are than them! Putting mine back on made me feel that they really do feel like a part of you...err me, as I said lets not go there again!

Edited by Scubysnaps, 08 February 2011 - 06:19 AM.

Cheers
Paul