• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 meister

meister

Manta Ray

• Team Wetpixel
  • 478 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 07:24 AM

This is one too many Force Fin threads...

My curiosity got the best of me. I purchased a pair of used Pro fins from ebay earlier today.
Canon 5D, 5D MK III, Canon 15, 17-40 & 100mm
Aquatica, Ikelight
donhughes.us

#22 cor

cor

The Hacker

• Admin
  • 1993 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 07:28 AM

I think forcefins should be avoided for everyone that doesnt have excellent ninja buoyancy skills to begin with. Unless you like to see operation desert storm under water.
Cor Bosman - Nikon D2X Subal ND2 - Nikon D7000 Subal ND7000
website | tripreports/journal | facebook | wetpixel map | twitter

#23 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
  • Interests:World travel
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 08 February 2011 - 08:08 AM

Did JB ever test these fins when he has done his fin tests. Be interesting to see what he has to say abut them. Off ot have a look at his reviews.

Stew

Canon 5D MK2 - Sea and Sea housed - 17-40L 100mm - Sigma 15mm FE - twin YS250 pro's and gadgets galore

http://www.euphoticzoneimaging.com

#24 MikeO

MikeO

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1025 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 06:42 PM

I would agree, generally, with most of what is posted here. I have used a pair of Force Fin Tan Deltas for over 10 years -- back then you could get a pair for around $200 if you found the right website. I recently acquired a pair of the flying force fins when they were running a sale on the forcefin website. Most people either love them or hate them. Very few people are just indifferent. It does require a different kick (faster flutter kick) and the Tan Deltas do require you to have strong legs. I like that they are short and that you can back up in them (as mentioned already). One drawback is that they are not optimal for surface swimming. And, without the comfort instep or some hefty booties, the Tan Deltas will eat into your feet. The flying force fins come with a large cutout on the top of the foot pocket and that is a great improvement.

Mike Oelrich
Canon EOS 40D in Seatool housing, 100mm macro, Tokina 10-17, INON Z-240s.

#25 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2285 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 08:02 PM

Yes, people love them or hate them.

For me I feel like swimming with them is like driving a porsche must be.

Sometimes when I'm going tropic and don't need a wetsuit, I jump in the water just to swim around with them.
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#26 Scubysnaps

Scubysnaps

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, Aprilia RSVR, VW Vans! www.scubysnaps.com

Posted 09 February 2011 - 08:38 AM

Heres some 2nd hand ones Stew in the UK if you dare!
To be honest tho, you'd need to dive more frequently if you want to get used to them easier, thats if the accelerator are same as the pro's
Cheers
Paul

*Nikon D90 with Tokina 10-17 & Nikon 60mm, 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Kenko1.4 * 2 x Z240 & 2 x 12 litres...global! *

www.scubysnaps.com >)))>

#27 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
  • Interests:World travel
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 09 February 2011 - 09:01 AM

Heres some 2nd hand ones Stew in the UK if you dare!
To be honest tho, you'd need to dive more frequently if you want to get used to them easier, thats if the accelerator are same as the pro's

I cant really see the point in them TBH. Not for the type of diving that I do. If they are made for the purpose of diving against currents, then fair enough they might come in handy for one in five of my dive holidays. I have never felt the need for something like this in the Red Sea, Lembeh certainly not, Tiger Beach I would hope my Tusas could cope with, and if they are aimed at propulsion through a strong current would I not really need to practice in a strong current. Now if I was working on a liveaboard in Komodo, Galapagos the Maldives or somewhere where there is expectations of strong currents then maybe they might save me a few bar on a dive. I dont think they would really be required for a little bimble down under Swanage Pier either.

Tusa Liberator X ten fins 29.99 with a couple of hundred pound left over for a new dioptre :(

Stew

Canon 5D MK2 - Sea and Sea housed - 17-40L 100mm - Sigma 15mm FE - twin YS250 pro's and gadgets galore

http://www.euphoticzoneimaging.com

#28 meister

meister

Manta Ray

• Team Wetpixel
  • 478 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 02:58 PM

This is one too many Force Fin threads...

My curiosity got the best of me. I purchased a pair of used Pro fins from ebay earlier today.

My fins arrived today with these velcro straps in the package. At the expense of sounding ignorant, I assume these are simply carry straps for each flipper? :)

Posted Image

Edited by meister, 14 February 2011 - 03:01 PM.

Aquatica, Ikelight
donhughes.us

#29 MIKE POWELL

MIKE POWELL

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 03:54 PM

My fins arrived today with these velcro straps in the package. At the expense of sounding ignorant, I assume these are simply carry straps for each flipper? :)

Posted Image

I couldn't find those straps on their web site...maybe they are used to hold the two fins together for transport?

Do let us know how they work out as I'm interested in a pair for myself for surface swimming, but hate to drop that many clams on pair that may or may not be all they're cracked up to be.
Visit My Website

7D Nauticam + Z240's

#30 meister

meister

Manta Ray

• Team Wetpixel
  • 478 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 10:25 AM

I'll give my brief analysis in a few weeks.

With hesitation and at the expense of pointing out a product I most obviously haven't tried yet, if someone has been looking for good price on a Force Fin, there is an ebay seller currently listing (6) new in the box, Force Fin Pro, large size for Buy It Now price of $110 plus $18.50 shipping. These retail out at $289...
Aquatica, Ikelight
donhughes.us

#31 meister

meister

Manta Ray

• Team Wetpixel
  • 478 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:22 PM

I used the Force Fin Pro for twelve boat dives, pushing Aquatica 5D housing with two Ikelite strobes. They pack easier than long fins. My immediate thought after jumping off the boat on dive one was, I forgot to put on my flippers. They're very light weight, efficient and easy to fin, a moderate difference to my full-foot Quattros. In contrast to my first few dives with them, I've become fond of them, except for a couple of dives in strong current, where I would rather had my Quattros. They're short in length, a positive in tight places on the reef, wreck dives, etc. I suspect they'll be good for our upcoming JASA Shearwater trip where the required walking on the dive deck with flippers will be less clumsy than with the long Quattros. I concur with advice from this board, stating you'll likely need a few dives to adjust to them. In summary, I do like them, just not quite sure about them in strong current... I didn't have much chance to test them on the surface.
Aquatica, Ikelight
donhughes.us

#32 jester1226

jester1226

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 09:26 PM

I couldn't find those straps on their web site...maybe they are used to hold the two fins together for transport?

Do let us know how they work out as I'm interested in a pair for myself for surface swimming, but hate to drop that many clams on pair that may or may not be all they're cracked up to be.

Ankle straps so they don't go to the botto of the ocean/lake when taking them when getting into the boat..

#33 serge

serge

Sting Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 07:34 PM

Me personally, i don' have a good impression of Force Fins. At least i would not reccomend them for Muckdiving.

Though i have never tried them myself, i have found out, that people using force fins more often kick up sand than other people, when when diving over silty bottoms. This might have to do with the fins being bent up in the front: So the propulsion will always come from the downwards movement of the fin ...

I don't say, that everybody using them will kick up sand ... but it is a way higher percentage than from the people that use normal fins (that beeing said usually force fins are rarely used by beginners).

Of course that is only important if you want to dive on sand ...

Greets, Serge

www.serge-mondial.com
www.nad-lembeh.com
http://nadlembehresort.wordpress.com
EOS 7D / Nauticam