4 replies to this topic

#1 andycain

andycain

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 05:49 AM

Hello everybody,

New to this forum and underwater photography (but not to diving and photography in general). Just been looking at getting a housing for my EOS 5D. Been looking at Ikelite which my uncle uses and that seems like a good choice.

To begin with though I wanted to take my camera into the pool at very shallow depths (1-2m max) and don't want to spend 1000 ++ on a dedicated diving housing and I've been looking at EWA-Marine. They do flexible SLR housings around the 400 mark and was wondering what the consensus was on these.

Has anybody used them and if so what were the opinions?

Cheers guys.

Andy

#2 scaper

scaper

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 06:43 AM

Hi Andy,

I used one for snorkeling last summer. Many people have had success with these housings, but I found it difficult to use. It was hard to access the camera controls. Even at a depth of a foot or two the pressure on the bag made it difficult to adjust anything or take a shot.

I used it for beach photography the day before, and it protected the camera from rain and salt spray. I slipped on a rock and landed on my knee and the lens portion of the housing. The camera and lens were fine, but the port seal on the housing had a very slow leak the next day.

Getting comfortable with the housing may take some practice, and you will have to be careful with it. Make sure you are careful and deliberate when putting the camera in the housing and sealing it up. It won't stand up to a lot of abuse like metal or hard plastic housings.

Pat

#3 Balrog

Balrog

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:31 AM

Quite honestly I think you will very quickly out grow the bag type housings and regret the 400 you spent.

If you are just getting into UW photography, borrow your Uncle's kit until you are happy that this is something you would like to take further.

#4 andycain

andycain

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 07:09 AM

Sounds like good advice. Thank you both for your input.

I do wedding photography and I'm hoping to start up a sideline to my business by photographing kids underwater during private swimming lessons my friend / business partner runs. As I want to trial it I don't want to buy a housing and port yet if it doesn't lead to anything or if I'm quite simply rubbish at the underwater stuff!

#5 Aqua_soul

Aqua_soul

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Interests:Surfing, Scuba & Free Diving, Photography above and below water, Architecture, Graphic Design, Art, 3D Modeling & Rendering, Single Malt Whiskeys :)

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:42 AM

They are completely over priced!
Although rated for uw use, their best application is for protection again elements for example on a boat, on the beach or in the rain.