9 replies to this topic

#1 Grayscale

Grayscale

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 02:02 AM

From wikipedia:

Jules Gabriel Verne (French pronunciation: [ʒyl vɛʁn]; February 8, 1828 – March 24, 1905) was a French author from Brittany who pioneered the science-fiction genre. He is best known for novels such as Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (1870), A Journey to the Center of the Earth (1864), and Around the World in Eighty Days (1873). Verne wrote about space, air, and underwater travel before air travel and practical submarines were invented, and before practical means of space travel had been devised. He is the third most translated individual author in the world, according to Index Translationum. Some of his books have been made into films. Verne, along with Hugo Gernsback and H. G. Wells, is often popularly referred to as the "Father of Science Fiction".https://secure.wikim...rne#cite_note-0

Google celebrates this day in their own way, by turning the Google-logo into a submarine that you can control (somewhat).

Just thought I'd share...
https://secure.wikim...rne#cite_note-0

#2 derway

derway

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1136 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 03:25 PM

Very Cool!
tnx
Don Erway
http://picasaweb.google.com/onederway/
http://www.pbase.com/derway

nikon n90s/ikelite housing/twin SS-200 canon G2/ikelite/DS-50/optical TTL slave
sony V3/ikelite/DS-51/Heinrich DA2 slave

#3 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 08 February 2011 - 03:47 PM

I have to give a talk in a couple of weeks on what we have to look forward to in the future regarding shooting,editing, business and story. As I always told my students when I was a school teacher, all you have to do is read Science Fiction because eventually, even if not when it is predicted, all of it becomes true and real. Science Fiction is having your own time machine and Jules Verne was certainly one of the first to predict so many things that we consider every day happenings. Wait until his lesser known 'Food of the Gods' becomes reality. Then we will be in for it.
Steve

PS. Quiz Time.....Who was the first to predict a trip to the moon? If you get the right answer, I will be amazed. Hint: It was not Da Vinci.

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#4 tienuts

tienuts

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 03:47 PM

Born in 1828, he's 183 actually, not 173.
Tony

#5 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3040 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 08 February 2011 - 07:21 PM

PS. Quiz Time.....Who was the first to predict a trip to the moon? If you get the right answer, I will be amazed. Hint: It was not Da Vinci.

I'm going with Lucian, my old greek friend.

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#6 Grayscale

Grayscale

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:37 PM

Born in 1828, he's 183 actually, not 173.

You´re right. Got it wrong at that part...
But hey!!! There's at lot of people trying to be younger than they really are...

Edited by Grayscale, 08 February 2011 - 10:38 PM.

#7 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:17 PM

Well Steve, at least you tried. The first author to write a book on going to the moon was the real Cyrano De Bergerac around 1640 but published after his death by his friend Le Bret. In French of course.
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#8 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3040 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:37 PM

Pick up a copy of "True History" 180 AD or so. A waterspout carries them to the moon. He was making fun of Homer.

The author is supposed to have said; "True History is about "things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say"

Gotta love a guy like that.
Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#9 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:26 PM

Pick up a copy of "True History" 180 AD or so. A waterspout carries them to the moon. He was making fun of Homer.

The author is supposed to have said; "True History is about "things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say"

Gotta love a guy like that.
Steve

Hmmm.... and all this time I thought it was Ralph Kramden. :(
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#10 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 03:43 PM

CYRANO: Yes, the first way is to strip myself bare as a candle, then coat myself with the morning dew and as the dew rises, I rise with it. DE GUICHE: Yes, what’s the second way? CYRANO: You know that smoke rises. Well I’ve found a way to capture it in a huge globe and then I just hang on! DE GUICHE: And number three? CYRANO: I know how to construct a kind of rocket and put an explosive rock called saltpeter in its base. I light a match to it and pouf! Up I go! DE GUICHE: Number four? CYRANO: I sit on a metal plate and hurl a giant magnet into the air. The metal plate follows the magnet and sticks to it. I hurl the magnet again and again and up I go! DE GUICHE: Number five? CYRANO: I lay on the beach with my head pointing towards the full moon. The moonbeams draw me right up. DE GUICHE: Number six? CYRANO: Number six isn’t important because the wedding is over by now.
These lines are from the play but they are really borrowed from Cyrano's own novel.

Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas