Solution to Nauticam port covers

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2057 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 16 May 2011 - 04:01 AM

I've also managed to bust the video activation lever. Not a problem as I don't use video....

That's interesting: the video lever on my D300s housing was bent: unbent, it works (but it's amazingly fiddly to take it out, and little springs pop out from surprising places!). I suspect that there's a position in which it jams against the camera body when the camera is inserted, bending the weirdly-shaped bit. Dr M may know more as I believe he was lent my very housing as a demo model...

Tim

:)

#22 Dgsmith

Dgsmith

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:04 AM

I agree with mr Mustard. That design for the flat port would work . I just got my macro port last week and laughed at the horrible cover they included. Even my wife who knows nothing about cameras had commented how easy it fell off. Right now my solution is a 67mm camera pinch cover. I also found a 67mm metal screw on lens cover I will use for travel.

#23 Alex_Tattersall

Alex_Tattersall

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 12:57 PM

In response to this very thread, Nauticam have produced a solid front cap which should be available soon.
www.flickr.com/photos/alextattersall

www.nauticamuk.com
www.uwvisions.com
Exclusive official importer of Nauticam products into the UK and Ireland

#24 LiquidNights

LiquidNights

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:58 PM

Totally agree on the uselessness of the cover. I have a 100mm port cover which has constantly fallen off and cant be taken into the water (in order to protect whilst entering the water) or be relied upon to stay on when rinsing the camera after a dive. Recently i lost the cover when entering the dive boat off the liveaboard and now I dont have one - crap design and basically ive spent money on a defective product which i am now inconvenienced by.

#25 pompeygreg

pompeygreg

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:08 PM

Was there ever a solution found for this issue? The port cover on the 12-50 port only stays on when the port is in the bag.planning on usin an inon neoprene bag to cover the port getting in and out of the water.

Greg

#26 Guitarfish

Guitarfish

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:42 PM

Apologies for necro-posting, but stumbled across this thread as I was searching for a solution to protect my brand-new, just-received Nauticam 12-50 port.

First the good news - it came with a plastic cap that even has a loop to attach a lanyard (which wasn't supplied).  The lanyard will be required, as the bad news is the thing falls off if you give it so much as a stern look, let alone actually carry it around or turn it upside down.

Which is how I came to be looking for Nauticam port-covers... :fool:

I'm currently thinking about using something like the optech hood-hat  secured to the tray with a bit of shock cord. Did anyone  find any better solutions?

#27 JimSwims

JimSwims

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:08 PM

Apologies for necro-posting, but stumbled across this thread as I was searching for a solution to protect my brand-new, just-received Nauticam 12-50 port.

First the good news - it came with a plastic cap that even has a loop to attach a lanyard (which wasn't supplied).  The lanyard will be required, as the bad news is the thing falls off if you give it so much as a stern look, let alone actually carry it around or turn it upside down.

Which is how I came to be looking for Nauticam port-covers... :fool:

I'm currently thinking about using something like the optech hood-hat  secured to the tray with a bit of shock cord. Did anyone  find any better solutions?

The Optech hood look similar to the Lens Coat Hoodies which also have a firm disc included

http://www.lenscoat....s-caps-c-5.html

Cheers,

Jim.

My photostream on Flickr My gallery on Redbubble

D90 in Nexus; 60mm, Woody's Diopter, 105mm, SubSee +5 & +10 magnifiers, 10-17mm, Kenko 1.4 TC, 10-24mm, 18-55mm & Inon Z240 strobes.

#28 divingdoc

divingdoc

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:30 PM

I posted a couple of months ago when I first got the 12-50 port.    Currently, I'm using a beer koozie, cut down to size.   My advice, get the solid rubber koozies.   I advise against the thin neoprene koozies since they tend to rip apart.   You can get them on Amazon.    They are a little hard to put on underwater with neoprene gloves on....as I dive in California, but, with a little effort, you can do it.   They protect well and aren't easily knocked off.  I'm still looking for a more ideal cover.