10 replies to this topic

#1 merlinus3000

merlinus3000

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:25 AM

Hi,

A friend has a Canon S95 with its Ikelite housing. He is looking for a wide angle.

Which one would you recommend? FIX - UWL-04, Inon - UWL-100 + Dome Kit or an other option?

Thanks for your help.

#2 Seraphim

Seraphim

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:04 PM

Hi,

A friend has a Canon S95 with its Ikelite housing. He is looking for a wide angle.

Which one would you recommend? FIX - UWL-04, Inon - UWL-100 + Dome Kit or an other option?

Thanks for your help.

I believe the UWL-100 is the one that most are using.

#3 leepix

leepix

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:Ships, boats and diving

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:29 PM

I believe the UWL-100 is the one that most are using.

Ikelite is also offering their W-20 dome port
http://www.ikelite.c...wo/w20lens.html

#4 Ryan

Ryan

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:31 AM

Fix UWL-04, even after zooming to knock out vignetting, is the widest we have tested. None of the older "built for 35" lenses have wide enough fov in my opinion to justify the cost of purchasing them new.

We have not tested Inon UWL-H100 + Dome Port due to lack of an adapter.

founder of Reef Photo & Video
manufacturer of Zen Domes

distributor of Nauticam in the Americas

n2theblue at reefphoto.com

#5 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8375 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:15 AM

Fix UWL-04, even after zooming to knock out vignetting, is the widest we have tested.

I had the chance to do a dive with this lens on the Canon S95 back in January in Grand Cayman and was very impressed with it (although camera hadn't been charged so ran out of batteries on me half way through the dive!). It was cloudy - so I thought I'd try it instead of taking my DSLR.

Here are a selection of some of my favourite wide angles from that dive, just a screen grabs from Lightroom (note all taken on the same dive, my first and only dive with that camera). All taken with S95 in FIX housing with FIX wide angle lens:

s95_grab.jpg

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#6 girelle

girelle

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 09:21 AM

I'm very happy to see the wonderfull pics taken with the S 95 and the Uwl 04 by Alex .
I own the S 90 with The Uwl 04 , but in a fix housing , so I can use the uwl 04 with the widest angle ( 28 mm ) of the S 90.
It's really atonishing to get such a wide view ..
I did take also some pictures in Egypt , of course they are fare away of the quality of what did Alex , but it can give you an idea , here it is :

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8375 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 10:50 AM

I'm very happy to see the wonderfull pics taken with the S 95 and the Uwl 04 by Alex .
I own the S 90 with The Uwl 04 , but in a fix housing , so I can use the uwl 04 with the widest angle ( 28 mm ) of the S 90.
It's really atonishing to get such a wide view ..
I did take also some pictures in Egypt , of course they are fare away of the quality of what did Alex , but it can give you an idea , here it is :

Those are great - particularly the first one.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#8 leepix

leepix

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:Ships, boats and diving

Posted 01 March 2011 - 09:03 PM

I had the chance to do a dive with this lens on the Canon S95 back in January in Grand Cayman and was very impressed with it (although camera hadn't been charged so ran out of batteries on me half way through the dive!). It was cloudy - so I thought I'd try it instead of taking my DSLR.

Here are a selection of some of my favourite wide angles from that dive, just a screen grabs from Lightroom (note all taken on the same dive, my first and only dive with that camera). All taken with S95 in FIX housing with FIX wide angle lens:

Alex

I had the INON WAL 100 Type 2 already and have been wondering about adding the INON dome Unit II to it or going with Fix UWL-04 for my FIX + S90 system. I am looking for good CFWA system.

Edited by leepix, 01 March 2011 - 09:07 PM.

#9 crawdad

crawdad

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 08:15 PM

I had the INON WAL 100 Type 2 already and have been wondering about adding the INON dome Unit II to it or going with Fix UWL-04 for my FIX + S90 system. I am looking for good CFWA system.

I covered that here for the most part.

http://www.uwphotogr...i...?f=22&t=264

Just a few shots, before I broke my leg and had to cancel most of my diving for 2010.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

James

Edited by crawdad, 21 March 2011 - 08:22 PM.

Canon S90, FIX90, dual Inon D2000 strobes, Inon UCL165AD, Inon UFL165AD, Inon UWL100 plus dome, Fisheye UWL-04, DIY tray, adapter

Swim down, swim around, swim back up.

http://www.uwphotogr...guide.com/forum

#10 Xanderwater

Xanderwater

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 05:24 AM

I have a S95 with Ikelite housing and a UWL 04, I think it works well.
aaaaw.jpg

Attached Images

• aw.jpg

flickr.com/xanderwater

#11 crawdad

crawdad

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 06:48 AM

It looks like I see significant vignetting on that UWL-04 on the Ike, you are loosing a good bit of field by having to zoom in with that lens, still useful but the vignetting is a bummer.

JR
Canon S90, FIX90, dual Inon D2000 strobes, Inon UCL165AD, Inon UFL165AD, Inon UWL100 plus dome, Fisheye UWL-04, DIY tray, adapter

Swim down, swim around, swim back up.

http://www.uwphotogr...guide.com/forum