#1 Gaz Cooper

Gaz Cooper

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Diving,Poker,Pool,making holes in Donuts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 07:24 AM

http://www.courierma...n-1226003940512

Just goes to show they are not mindless maneaters the press makes them out to be as he had a choice

Gaz Cooper
Just as Every Muslim is required to make a pilgrimage to Mecca once in their lifetime, you as a Diver should make your pilgrimage to Dive the Galapagos at least once in your life. it really is as good as they say.

www.GazCoopersDiveGalapagos.com

#2 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10635 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 08:33 AM

Journalism in general has taken a turn for the worse in the last 20 years. Sensationalistic headlines trump factual reports!

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#3 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 12:18 PM

Man, bummer for that marlin.

Drew: it looks like a factual report - but ALSO a sensational headline.

James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#4 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 11 February 2011 - 03:33 PM

I'm not sure that animal on animal carnage ever qualifies as "murder!" :(
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#5 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10635 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 06:23 PM

Man, bummer for that marlin.

Drew: it looks like a factual report - but ALSO a sensational headline.

James

It's editorial sensationalistic piece, especially when facts like angling causes splashing noises which attract said "monster" shark, and fish held along side boat for trophy pic, thus open to attack by predators are omitted to write the story with the slant of "monster!" Now if he added that fact and omitted the monster moniker, then it's a full factual report. IMHO :(

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#6 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:15 AM

I'm not sure that animal on animal carnage ever qualifies as "murder!" :)

Manslaughter maybe, but not murder! :)
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#7 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts
  • Interests:UW Video, UW Photography Diving, Telemark Skiing, Cycling, Travel

Posted 12 February 2011 - 11:19 AM

Wow! If there was ever a "murder" I wanted to witness, this was it!!!
Canon 5D MII - Aquatica Housing - Sola 4000 Lights - Wahoo HD Monitor & Sony EX1 - Gates EX1 Housing - Fathoms UWA Lens
www.bluespheremedia.com

#8 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2841 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 12 March 2011 - 10:11 AM

I filmed a documentary for National Geographic on a guy who would capture marlin from a kayak 2 years ago. Apparently there was a massive marlin run going on near Cabo San Lucas. I filmed it on condition that it would be a capture and release situation which they agreed to. While there were definitely sharks in the area, none attacked any of the marlin while it was being held by the side of the kayak prior to unhooking and releasing. It would have made for some great footage but glad the marlin were freed.
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.