Would really appreciate some advice. I am going on a cruise in April (Tampa > Grand Cayman> Cozumel> Tampa) on Carnival Inspiration. I have a very small private charter (6 passengers, 5 hours) for stingray city in the Caymans and will do a reef snorkel in Cozumel. I own a lot of gear but I dont know exactly the best way to bring back a group of high quality underwater images without totally breaking the bank. I say that but I dont mind investing some $$ to bring back the image. We are going to snorkel and maybe SNUBA but my kids are still kinda young so I need to stay with them at the surface
Here is what I have
Canon G9 with Water housing (Canon brand)
Options I am considering
1) Rent a housing for the D3 or D7000 and the 17-35mm (About $500 for the week). I will already be carrying one of these cameras so only the housing is additional gear
2) Use the G9 with the Canon housing ($0 but I worry a bit about image quality)
3) Rent a D2x and housing from a place in the Caymans ($350)
4) Buy an Olympus E-PL1 (Pen) and the Olympus housing and then resell the set when I return. Used camera, new housing about $1000, likely resell for about $900.
5) Nikonos V and go old school film... I shoot a lot of film but I dont know this camera ($200)
Honestly I am leaning towards the PEN with the housing as I have seen some great quality images in a small package but I am not committed to anything yet. We will spend a decent amount of time in the water, I really want a split screen shot with the stingrays from stingray city below and Caribbean skies above and I do like to print big so a low quality image will break down pretty quick.
I really appreciate any insight you might have
Edited by briangudas, 18 February 2011 - 04:15 PM.