• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:35 AM

OK, so the new MacBook Pros look great. Mine is getting a little long in the tooth and ready for a hand me down at the office. I want to put in a SSD, but would like a second HD for storage. I'd just like some feedback from folks who have removed the optical etc, what they think the ideal configuration would be.
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#2 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2856 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:45 AM

OK, so the new MacBook Pros look great. Mine is getting a little long in the tooth and ready for a hand me down at the office. I want to put in a SSD, but would like a second HD for storage. I'd just like some feedback from folks who have removed the optical etc, what they think the ideal configuration would be.

Eric wrote some things about the SSD over on his site and loves them. Others have mentioned that SSD is the way to go, and that the Superdrive really isn't needed anymore and they just go for the extra storage and get the portable drive. My next one will probably go that way myself, though if Thunderbolt is put in the next revision of the MacBook Air, that may be my next machine.

Always max out RAM :P

#3 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:55 AM

Eric wrote some things about the SSD over on his site and loves them. Others have mentioned that SSD is the way to go, and that the Superdrive really isn't needed anymore and they just go for the extra storage and get the portable drive. My next one will probably go that way myself, though if Thunderbolt is put in the next revision of the MacBook Air, that may be my next machine.

Always max out RAM :P

Are drives coming out that are Thunderbolt compatible? Only thing about the Air is that I like a 15" screen for editing on the road.
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#4 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2856 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:16 AM

Are drives coming out that are Thunderbolt compatible? Only thing about the Air is that I like a 15" screen for editing on the road.

Have not seen announcements, but I would assume they will be coming, and I like the fact you can use the old drives with Thunderbolt with adapters. Looks like good technology, but we'll see. I hear you about the screen real estate, but we have a 11" MacBook Air that went on a recent trip, while I carried my 15" on the trip. The size and weight of those Airs are really cool. Have been trying not to edit as much when traveling, figure it will wait until I get home for the most part so I can enjoy the trip and not get too bogged down. (I love rationalizing my future toys in advance :P)

But a Quad Core 15" laptop with 8 Gigs of Ram and a couple of SSD drives does sound real tempting also. Go for it :) (But really give the Airs a look, people are really liking them and it could be a sweet spot with all the gear and the rest. For longer trips I like the 15" or 17", but the Airs are real nice for shorter trips.)

#5 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:18 AM

I'm still hoping the new iPad will substitute for the no edit trips, but probably too much to expect

#6 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2856 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:05 AM

I'm still hoping the new iPad will substitute for the no edit trips, but probably too much to expect

Maybe, and the rumor is that there will be USB. I have the Hyperdrive for the iPad and need to get back to putting it through the paces and it does hook up to the iPad, though you need a connection (think it is the camera one, I got the thing and have not really used it :P )

#7 johnspierce

johnspierce

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:04 PM

Well the new offerings are just a minor refresh and not a major re-engineering, but they seem quite nice. Same prices, quite a bit faster CPUs and Thunderbolt (light peak) technology.

I will wait a few weeks for some reviews to come out, but I'm thinking of the 15" with 2.3ghz i7, 8gb RAM, 500gb 7200rpm hard drive, anti-glare hi-res screen.

When I get it, I will yank out the Superdrive and put a 128gb SSD in it's place for loading the OS and programs; use the 500gb for data only. The link below is a kit which also provides a usb external enclosure for the Superdrive.

http://store.mcetech...e=STORHDOPTIBAY

Anandtech.com did some benchmarks on the new Sandybridge mobile i7 CPU's and they were just about 100% faster than the previous gen in almost any test you can name. Sweet, can't wait!

JP

Edited by johnspierce, 24 February 2011 - 12:05 PM.

Nikon D800 | Aquatica Housing | Inon Z-240

#8 elbuzo

elbuzo

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Interests:Photography + cave diving

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:45 PM

Buddy

I had the new 15" but .... thunderbolt ???? wasn't a Bond movie ?

Anyway you can take a look for yorself soon.

Hasta la vista

JA

#9 wbk

wbk

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:Diving, diving.. and every so often diving and a little bit of photography thrown in.

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:09 PM

john that is pretty much the spec i am planning on too... As for the Air book.. i have an older one and have found it really struggles on the editing side of things.(you try editing in Final Cut on one... lol) Yes they are very light and portable but having had one now for a while would definitely prefer lugging the extra weight of a pro about for that much extra power you can get!
Canon 5DMkII, Hugyfot, Inon Z240 MkIV's, 100mm f2.8L, 17-40mm f4L

#10 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 04:19 AM

I'm pretty tempted to load up on the 500GB SSD, and then when they come out a 2TB external Thunderbolt drive for carrying my whole Aperture Library. A pricey but do pretty much anything I do on my desktop machine. With Thunderbolt, does that mean your external drive will have faster I/O than the internal hard drive?

#11 johnspierce

johnspierce

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:34 AM

I'm pretty tempted to load up on the 500GB SSD, and then when they come out a 2TB external Thunderbolt drive for carrying my whole Aperture Library. A pricey but do pretty much anything I do on my desktop machine. With Thunderbolt, does that mean your external drive will have faster I/O than the internal hard drive?

Can't wait to see some benchmarks on an external Thunderbolt drive. Wonder who will come out with the first Thunderbolt Compact Flash card reader? That will be really nice to download all your photos and video in a few seconds.

Just saw an article on Cult of Mac saying OSX Lion will finally implement the TRIM command. It's about time! MS Windows had this option 2 years ago. TRIM is really vital for keeping SSD's healthy. Some other nice stuff in Lion too.

BTW, have you guys seen the freaking Geekbench scores from the new MBP? OMG they are fast! Like TWICE as fast as last year's i7's!

http://www.macrumors...ve-improvement/

Edited by johnspierce, 25 February 2011 - 09:38 AM.

Nikon D800 | Aquatica Housing | Inon Z-240