• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2855 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 02:27 PM

AP

PANAMA CITY, Panama Customs inspectors have found nearly a half ton (421 kilos) of shark fins cut illegally from protected hammerhead sharks.
Customs director Gloria Moreno de Lopez said Friday that the fins were found at Panama's international airport in a shipment labeled as dried fish. She says the container originated in Ecuador and was bound for New York City.
Environmental organizations say shark fins are prized as a delicacy, and overfishing is putting many hammerhead sharks at risk of extinction. Fishermen who harvest the animals typically cut off the fins and toss carcass back into the sea.

#2 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3029 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 26 February 2011 - 06:50 PM

So does that probably mean the Galapogos area is now that much poorer? (I'd add one the Emoticons but I can't find one crying and being physically ill)

Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#3 Captain_Caveman

Captain_Caveman

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 07:31 PM

We need multilateral bans on shark finning with stiff fines for those caught in possession. The world is slowly coming around to the idea that it's decimating the numbers. Hopefully it won't be too late.

I use...

Canon 5d2
Aquatica Housing
8" Dome
Sigma 15mm
Sola lights

~ Canon 24-70 f/2.8 L - Canon 70-200 IS f/2.8 L - Canon 50 f/1.8 ~

~ Canon 350D - Canon G9 - Canon 430 EX ~