1 reply to this topic

#1 rhinopias63

rhinopias63

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:12 AM

hi guys,

im having problems trying to adjust the iris through the mechanical wheel on the side of my endeavor housing.

the button to switch from auto to manual just about touches if i push the camcorder to the side of the housing once i have placed it in. it really is a bit hit and miss whether it will activate the function.

if i finally get the mechanical pin that pushes the button on the camera to reach and switch it to manual, i have a further problem! the wheel inside the housing (operated from the outside) doesn't seem to have the strength to adjust the wheel connected to the tray. so no adjustment can be made to the f-stop.

has anybody else had a problem with this?

#2 Aussiejosho

Aussiejosho

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:55 AM

This sounds like the same problem I had a few years ago with my Amphibico Navigator 900 housing. My solution was to make the wheel fatter buy rolling it up in plumbers tape (also called thread tape). Its a fiddly job to get started, but if you can get a lot of tension on it from the start, you can then just keep winding it around(by rolling the wheel from the outside) until you have enough extra thickness on the wheel.
To finish it off, pull hard to break the tape while holding the wheel (don't cut the tape). That seals the tape on there nicely without needing glue. It worked well on mine and stayed that way for more than a year until I sold the housing.

Incidentally, I've used the same technique on an Ikelite D90 stills housing once too.

Good luck.
Josh

Josh Jensen
Panasonic HVX200, Gates Housing, L&M Lights
Undersea Productions