16 replies to this topic

#1 waso

waso

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 03:29 PM

Hello,

I just want to warn everybody submitting images to the russian dive magazin 'Ultimate Depth'.
I was contacted in March 2010 because the magazin payed attention on my 2nd place at the Golden Dolphin competition in March 2010.
They asked me for the image to be used as a cover for their magazin und offered me 150,- $, which is a pain in the a.., I know, but I’m not every day asked for a cover image. ;-)
After the high res submission of the image the conversation became exceptional quiet from their side. Even after a few emails I never received any answer anymore.
And of course: What I didn’t get was the money – not even one of the magazins, which was also promised.
My mistake was, of course, to send the high res image before I received any money – I learned it the hard way – never made this kind of experiences in Germany.
Well, why can I be so sure that they finally used my image for their cover if I never received an issue of the magazin?
Because it can be seen in the web (it’s the Hippocampus bargibanti in issue No.2/2010, see below).
http://www.pglubina....o...&Itemid=137

Besides that, they terribly changed the colours – ouch!!!

So, if somebody of you will ever be asked from the dive magazin ‘Ultimate Depth’ for images, just wait for the money first before you submit the high res files.

Cheers

Wahrmut

Canon EOS 7D · UK-Germany Housing
Canon 8-15 FE · Sigma 150/2,8 Macro · Canon 100/2,8L IS Macro · Canon 60/2,8 Macro
2x Sea&Sea 110α · 2x Seacam Seaflash 250 Digital · PROline MD04 Strobe Arm System · Fisheye FIX Light

Website

#2 decosnapper

decosnapper

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 01:12 AM

Hello,

I just want to warn everybody submitting images to the russian dive magazin 'Ultimate Depth'.

So, if somebody of you will ever be asked from the dive magazin ‘Ultimate Depth’ for images, just wait for the money first before you submit the high res files.
Cheers
Wahrmut

Sorry to hear of this, but thanks for the warning. One to put on the 'cash via paypal before shipping anything without a watermark' list, and that includes low res. The demand for high res is still with us, but iPad Apps and web use will rise and with it the requirement for low res only......
Simon Brown

www.simonbrownimages.com

#3 Seabeast

Seabeast

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 11:52 PM

I asked them about this problem on our forum, they promised to pay untill 10 may. This magazine is pretty poor and delay for payment can be too long. I can't recommend to have any deal with them, if you want to get money for your stuff =(

#4 waso

waso

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 03:30 AM

I asked them about this problem on our forum, they promised to pay untill 10 may. This magazine is pretty poor and delay for payment can be too long. I can't recommend to have any deal with them, if you want to get money for your stuff =(

Hey, that sounds quite promising!
It would be too kind if you could ask on this forum for sending me the issue No. 2 from 2010 - actually this is more important for me than the money.
I can accept that they are pretty poor, but I can't accept that there were no replies to my emails at all - as soon as they've received the high res file.

Anyway, thanks for the information!

Cheers

Wahrmut

Canon 8-15 FE · Sigma 150/2,8 Macro · Canon 100/2,8L IS Macro · Canon 60/2,8 Macro
2x Sea&Sea 110α · 2x Seacam Seaflash 250 Digital · PROline MD04 Strobe Arm System · Fisheye FIX Light

Website

#5 Seabeast

Seabeast

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 06:19 AM

It would be too kind if you could ask on this forum for sending me the issue No. 2 from 2010 - actually this is more important for me than the money.

I've seen it some time ago in the store. PM me the shipping info, I think it will be easy to send it...

#6 davichin

davichin

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1107 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:40 AM

For some reason someone called Pickapic answered this topic but it doesn´t show :lol:

Anyway, I am in the same case as Wahrmut with another magazine but I will hold the information for a while (hope is the last thing to be lost...). But it is the same case... :rofl:

Did you ever get your money, Wahrmut?
D300, D7000. 10.5, 10-17, 16, 10-20, 17-70, 60, 105, 150 Hugyfots, Subtronic Novas, Seacams 350, YS250s, YS-D1s
Aqualung Team
www.davidbarrio.com

#7 waso

waso

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:39 AM

For some reason someone called Pickapic answered this topic but it doesn´t show :lol:

Anyway, I am in the same case as Wahrmut with another magazine but I will hold the information for a while (hope is the last thing to be lost...). But it is the same case... :rofl:

No, I didn't get a penny/cent or anything else... ;)
But with the help of Seabeast I finally got a copy of the issue.
I can only advice everybody: Wait for the money before you send hi res files - or at least put a big copyright in the middle of the image.

Btw: Almost the same happend again with the magazin Australasia Scubadiver (6/2010).
But after about 1,5 years I finally received a cheque - maybe it was just forgotten... this magazin seems much more serious to me anyway.

Cheers

Website

#8 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1768 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:53 PM

Hi David,

Pickapic was posting spam so was removed!

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#9 howeikowk

howeikowk

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:53 PM

SDAA does take a while but they do pay in the end. I'm in singapore where the magazine is based and even then it takes a while. ;)

#10 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:30 AM

I din't think any diving magazine pays particularly quickly (unless it's German) thanks to so many people being keen to give away their material!

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#11 waso

waso

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:53 AM

I din't think any diving magazine pays particularly quickly (unless it's German) thanks to so many people being keen to give away their material!

Ok, that might be the problem: As a German I'm used to german or dutch magazins paying immediately.

Website

#12 JimSwims

JimSwims

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:31 PM

Hi Wahrmut,

I had a similar experience from another magazine publisher that had a reputation for taking it's time. They did
eventually pay up. Perhaps it's worth posting about this on some of the Russian UWP/Diving forums? One thing
I did when pushing for my publisher to meet their basic obligation was to send an email to everyone within the
organization I could find and provided a link to the thread on WP.

Cheers,
Jim.

My photostream on Flickr My gallery on Redbubble

D90 in Nexus; 60mm, Woody's Diopter, 105mm, SubSee +5 & +10 magnifiers, 10-17mm, Kenko 1.4 TC, 10-24mm, 18-55mm & Inon Z240 strobes.

#13 waso

waso

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:36 PM

Hi Jim,

thanks for the link - what a nightmare with your payment!

I don't expect any reaction posting my problem on russian diving forums, but maybe I'll be in the right mood for it - one day... :)

Btw: My cheque from Australasia Scubadiver didn't bounce.
What about yours?
I'll never send them images again although they were very interested in some stuff from the Netherlands and the Azores.

Cheers

Wahrmut

Website

#14 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6193 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:41 AM

Ok, that might be the problem: As a German I'm used to german or dutch magazins paying immediately.

Industry standard for magazines is to pay 60 days after the date of publication... so, theoretically, if your photo gets published 1 january then you should be paid by first week of march. Don't get upset if that is not the case. However, if you haven't been paid by April then you should start asking questions....

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#15 waso

waso

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:52 AM

Industry standard for magazines is to pay 60 days after the date of publication... so, theoretically, if your photo gets published 1 january then you should be paid by first week of march. Don't get upset if that is not the case. However, if you haven't been paid by April then you should start asking questions....

Well, the german standard might be different to industry (american?) standard, but I was waiting for more than 1 year.
That's too long - in each case, and I didn't even get a copy of the (russian) magazin...

Website

#16 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6193 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:07 AM

yep, definitely too long.. :) you have been screwed..

Not American standard, industry standard for the most part, German may be different..but i would give any magazine or publishers at least 60 days before sending emails etc asking about payments.

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#17 errbrr

errbrr

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:56 PM

I usually put 30 days terms on my invoice, and following up at 30 days reminds the purchaser to pay me by 60, 90 or 120 days (usually!). The bigger the publication, the worse their accounts department seems to be.