6 replies to this topic

#1 steven gold

steven gold

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 07:18 PM

Hi Folks,

I am an above water nature photography hobbyist, new to UW photography - just getting my bearings and thoroughly enjoying the challenge.

The attached image was a "grab shot" taken (while shooting smaller critters at my level), when I noticed the Ray gliding into the scene above me. My camera (Canon S95 P&S ISO 400 F8.0 1/200) was set for good exposure of blue water background, but not while shooting towards the sun.

I liked the composition except for the blown out area, and the image does include a relatively unsuccessful attempt to do a selective exposure reduction in PS.

Do y'all avoid such shots or do you have a strategy for shooting towards the sun ?

I thank you for any ideas you may have for improving the image.

Attached Images

• Spotted_Eagle_Ray___Seargent_Major_at_Molasses_Reef_Key_Largo.jpg

#2 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts
  • Interests:water and sun my friend, thats what turns me on.

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:15 AM

Same as shooting into the sun on land .. you will ideally need some fill flash (or even full strobe power) while you shut down the exposure to get the blue you want and the subject lit how you'd like.

Although I am wondering if you could achieve a better result here with a bit of colour alteration post process white balancing type thing.
me on the web >> journal / flickr / portfolio
i use >> my camera, eye & stunning good looks

#3 derway

derway

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1136 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:40 AM

Especially with small sensors, you must keep the ISO as low as possible. Turning it up, dramatically drops the dynamic range, basically 1EV for every 100 iso.
Don Erway
http://picasaweb.google.com/onederway/
http://www.pbase.com/derway

nikon n90s/ikelite housing/twin SS-200 canon G2/ikelite/DS-50/optical TTL slave
sony V3/ikelite/DS-51/Heinrich DA2 slave

#4 steven gold

steven gold

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 06:07 PM

Especially with small sensors, you must keep the ISO as low as possible. Turning it up, dramatically drops the dynamic range, basically 1EV for every 100 iso.

Thanks for the information. I wondered why ISO 200 is recommended for UW shots with this camera.
(I had thought I would get more aperture flexibility at ISO 400, but I will divest of this notion.)

With regards to white balance, above water I usually use automatic white balance setting, in camera, and eyeball the white balance adjustment in Lightroom. I am, however, so new to underground scenery that I have a lot of trouble with identifying appropriate white balance adjustment. Any tips ??

#5 ckchong

ckchong

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 08:04 AM

get this book, all you want to know you can found here (From PnS to DSLR):
http://wetpixel.com/...by-martin-edge/

#6 steven gold

steven gold

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:12 AM

Thanks. I actually have the book, and on rereading an early section on white balance last night, I noticed the author recommends taking a (depth dependent) initial shot of the palm of the hand to assist in white balance adjustment of RAW files in Lightroom. Great idea.

I also noticed a section on applying HDR software to UW images, and I shall try that on this image to see if I can get some more detail in the darkened reef areas.

Edited by steven gold, 14 March 2011 - 08:16 AM.

#7 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
  • Interests:World travel
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 14 March 2011 - 02:37 PM

Thanks. I actually have the book, and on rereading an early section on white balance last night, I noticed the author recommends taking a (depth dependent) initial shot of the palm of the hand to assist in white balance adjustment of RAW files in Lightroom. Great idea.

I also noticed a section on applying HDR software to UW images, and I shall try that on this image to see if I can get some more detail in the darkened reef areas.

I dont think your photo that you have uploaded here will benefit from any HDR processing. If you took this photo in RAW then I would suggest that you re enter it into your RAW conversion program and re white balance. This will give you a much better image than any HDR processing.

Stew

Canon 5D MK2 - Sea and Sea housed - 17-40L 100mm - Sigma 15mm FE - twin YS250 pro's and gadgets galore

http://www.euphoticzoneimaging.com