• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 wizbowes

wizbowes

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 01:18 PM

I have quite a large nose. Most dive masks put pressure on the bridge of my nose which becomes pretty painful during a dive. I've always dived with a crappy no-name mask as it's about the only one I've found that has ample space for my nose - but it leaks quite a bit. I've been out of the market for quite a while so was wondering if there were any new masks I should look at for comfort and seal. Do they make a Cressi Big-Nose yet?

If John Bantin happens to read this - I think this would make for a good magazine article - the best masks for people who have non-standard faces (big noses, narrow faces, pronounced creases, mustaches etc). I would happily volunteer to try a load of masks out on behalf of the big nosed.

#2 jcclink

jcclink

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 06:05 PM

Similar problem here. The only type of mask that I can use is the old style oval-shaped kind (ala Jacques Cousteau). These are hard to find these days. If anyone knows a source, please advice.
Nexus D300, 10-17mm, 12-24mm, 17-55mm, 60mm, 105mm VR
S&S YS110's & YS27's

#3 AMW

AMW

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  • Interests:Boxing, English Premier League, SCUBA, aqua-culturing SPS and LPS, yoga

Posted 06 March 2011 - 08:39 PM

I love the honesty!
Go NOSES Go!
I would say that my nose is a "medium-large". It can usually squeeze into most standard dive masks, but I always get that "moosh" experience during a dive.

-The NOSE NATION

#4 gina

gina

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 09:28 PM

My nose isn't huge, but it certainly isn't petite either. For the past dozen years I have been using masks by a company called XS (although it was previously called something else). This is my current mask: http://www.xsscuba.c...e_mz4_mask.html and I absolutely LOVE it. It doesn't rub against my nose and it does fits my face well. Prior to finding this line I could never dive with a two-lens mask as they always hurt the bridge of my nose. I've used one- and two-lens masks from this company, and none of them hurt.

This mask also has other unique features that I really like, but others may not:
The integrated mask strap is comfortable, doesn't tangle in your hair, and adjusts with one hand.
My mask has a purge valve although some other models do not.
It is not a low-volume mask, but with the purge valve clearing the mask is never an issue. I can also see fine through my viewfinder.
I think the side windows and clear skirt are wonderful as they allow me to see things coming up along the side of me without turning my head.

-Gina

#5 wizbowes

wizbowes

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 03:13 PM

Thanks Gina,

I'll see if they have any at the London dive show this year.....

Edited by wizbowes, 07 March 2011 - 03:13 PM.

#6 NWDiver

NWDiver

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1274 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 06:30 AM

I feel your pain, literally! Gone through a lot of masks, this Hollis has been the best fit I have found. The skirt material is very forgiving.

http://www.hollisgea...dview.asp?id=58

#7 decosnapper

decosnapper

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 06:45 AM

Aga full face mask? No pun intended, as there is a generous amount of room and it has an adjustable nose block.

I have just acquired one. Comfortable when diving in cold water.

Edited by decosnapper, 08 March 2011 - 06:46 AM.

Simon Brown

www.simonbrownimages.com

#8 wizbowes

wizbowes

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 12:36 PM

Many thanks for the suggestions. I tried at few at the London dive show this weekend, and ended up with the Hollis. Still a little snug but it seems ok and looks nice to boot.

As for the full face mask, i've always fancied a go with one - maybe when I get that big lottery win.....

#9 marbiol

marbiol

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 07:45 PM

I used to have a few masks that I used that were variably comfortable, but a few years ago a friend gave me a Mares X-Vision and that has been by far the most comfortable mask I've ever used apart from a full face one...

It's an older one so I'm not sure which current variant it matches up against but the nose pocket is big enough so I don't get that painful under the nose pressure point...

D.

#10 JKrumsick

JKrumsick

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Philosophy, various libations, light hearted debauchery, Chromatophores and the occasional tupperware party.

Posted 30 March 2011 - 11:13 PM

Good thread - my nose knows much pain when renting a mask...

This is a bit off topic - but for those who have worn the full face mask, does it make it more difficult to see through the viewfinder of a camera? It looks like most full masks have a slanted "windshield" and it is further away from the eyes when in comparison to a normal mask.

I used to have a few masks that I used that were variably comfortable, but a few years ago a friend gave me a Mares X-Vision and that has been by far the most comfortable mask I've ever used apart from a full face one...

It's an older one so I'm not sure which current variant it matches up against but the nose pocket is big enough so I don't get that painful under the nose pressure point...

D.

#11 decosnapper

decosnapper

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 12:35 AM

This is a bit off topic - but for those who have worn the full face mask, does it make it more difficult to see through the viewfinder of a camera? It looks like most full masks have a slanted "windshield" and it is further away from the eyes when in comparison to a normal mask.

I thought a full face mask cause problems with a camera viewfinder. In practice, I found little/if any difference. I liked it so much I bought one, but will not replace the half mask entirely.
Simon Brown

www.simonbrownimages.com

#12 gina

gina

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 06:58 AM

The full-face mask I use (Aga) has a flat window which is parallel to the plane of my face. I've never used it while photographing so I can't comment on how it is to use with a viewfinder.

On a slightly different note, I just don't feel safe using a full-face mask. I use one for the ability to use underwater communications so I can do presentations at my local aquarium. But if I ever had an issue with my air source it would be difficult to get the mask off my face in order to either use an octopus or go to the surface and breathe. And if you took off the mask at depth (to use an alternate air source) then it becomes impossible to see clearly underwater. Do other full-face mask users feel the same way?

-Gina

#13 DuncanS

DuncanS

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 07:01 AM

With larger noses there are normally a couple of issues. Pain / pinching under the nose at the septum and pain / pinching at the bridge / forehead. If your pain is at the bridge then avoid low profile masks and you would be better off with a single lens mask as their is no frame in this area as opposed to a twin lens mask. For pain at the bottom / septum, look for something than does not press against the bottom of your nose but still has enough skirt on your top lip to seal properly.

Personally I use a Beuchat X1. I used to use an oceanic shadow and it was fine for 40min but painful after that.
Duncan

RedSeaSnapper.com

#14 shoupart

shoupart

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Scuba diving, freediving, kayaking, sailing, and underwater videography

Posted 07 April 2011 - 08:24 AM

I have a pretty prominent schnozz, but it fits into my HydroOptix mask without any problems.

With larger noses there are normally a couple of issues. Pain / pinching under the nose at the septum and pain / pinching at the bridge / forehead. If your pain is at the bridge then avoid low profile masks and you would be better off with a single lens mask as their is no frame in this area as opposed to a twin lens mask. For pain at the bottom / septum, look for something than does not press against the bottom of your nose but still has enough skirt on your top lip to seal properly.

Personally I use a Beuchat X1. I used to use an oceanic shadow and it was fine for 40min but painful after that.

Jason Shoup
Bluewater Photo
Santa Monica, CA
www.bluewaterphotostore.com

#15 jcclink

jcclink

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 05:59 PM

Besides the painful nose problem, I've found that if you have a leak in a low profile mask (even a small one) you can be totally screwed taking photos. A small amount of water can be up to your eyeballs. You constantly have to clear the mask. With an old style oval shaped mask a minor leak is not a problem. Finish shooting your subject then clear at your convenience.

Edited by jcclink, 07 April 2011 - 06:00 PM.

Nexus D300, 10-17mm, 12-24mm, 17-55mm, 60mm, 105mm VR
S&S YS110's & YS27's