Photo
- - - - -

Canon moving to a new codec for future ViDSLR?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 11:55 AM

In a not so recent interview, Canon's Tim Smith hinted at the possibility of ViDSLR dropping the H.264 codec for a Canon proprietary codec. With the XF30x/10x cameras now shooting the new MPEG2 50mbps Canon codec, it would be a smart move to avoid paying the H.264 crowd licensing fees by moving to their own codecs. While Tim isn't very forthcoming, the next generation 1Ds and 5D series are coming out this year. With CF cards easily handling over 40MB/s nowadays, a 50mbps codec similar to the MPEG2 codec Canon currently uses would be easily adapted.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#2 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2856 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 12:09 PM

In a not so recent interview, Canon's Tim Smith hinted at the possibility of ViDSLR dropping the H.264 codec for a Canon proprietary codec. With the XF30x/10x cameras now shooting the new MPEG2 50mbps Canon codec, it would be a smart move to avoid paying the H.264 crowd licensing fees by moving to their own codecs. While Tim isn't very forthcoming, the next generation 1Ds and 5D series are coming out this year. With CF cards easily handling over 40MB/s nowadays, a 50mbps codec similar to the MPEG2 codec Canon currently uses would be easily adapted.

I had seen some rumors floating about this and that they are also getting on board with Thunderbolt. Now it is a race, got to see if Scarlet or the 5D Mark III come out first so I know when to hide my credit card :)

#3 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 01:12 PM

Very interesting stuff.

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#4 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 14 March 2011 - 10:03 AM

I wonder if their own codec, once it is out, will be compatible with FCP and the other NLEs or whether the footage will then have to be transcoded.
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#5 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 15 March 2011 - 12:34 AM

50mbps MPEG 2 sounds good, be easy to edit unlike H.264.

Every man and his dog are going to drop the H.264 codec once they start forcing the licensing patent.

Why do you think Google brought On2- VP8...Free encoders for everyone to make clips to load to YouTube etc. :-)
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#6 ronscuba

ronscuba

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 06:19 AM

Is it possible existing cameras could change over with a firmware upgrade?

#7 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:57 AM

As Tim said in the video VERY CLEARLY, no upgrades... new codec on new sensors!

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#8 ronscuba

ronscuba

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 01:49 PM

Sorry Drew. Didn't see where it said that in the post and I can't view the youtube video right now.

#9 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 07:23 PM

Ron, I'm guessing Canon is just trying to be clear to their peeps that no whining is allowed after purchase :). Not chastising you Ron. Sorry if you felt I was being rude.

Drew

#10 photovan

photovan

Great White

• 979 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 07:39 PM

nice to see the way they are adapting, the future is bright :)

I also like the way he talks about how there are different cameras for different uses, something that was sadly lacking in so many of the early discussions about the 5Dmkii the various new devices.

Darren Jew  |  Australia  |  darrenjew.com  |  fotofrenzy.com.au

Canon EOS1Dx   |   EOSM   |   Nauticam  |   Inon Z240