Help in Taipei, Taiwan

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JKrumsick

JKrumsick

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Philosophy, various libations, light hearted debauchery, Chromatophores and the occasional tupperware party.

Posted 15 March 2011 - 09:36 PM

Hey Everyone -
I have been traveling through Japan for the past couple of weeks and needless to say, things have gotten scary and fast.

I went through an earthquake last night in Tokyo and decided that I had had enough and to get out. I am at the airport now and felt a quake about an hour ago... a small one though so probably an aftershock. Every hour so I feel the ground shaking slightly... and I feel one right at this second of typing (monitor is wobbling).

The cheapest flight was to Taipei so in 4 hours that is where I am headed. I don't know anyone there nor do I know what to expect. However, I have seen photos from some divers on here and I would love to dive there, if I can.

Does anyone know anyone in Taipei or any dive operations there? Like I said, I am very unfamiliar with Taiwan so I don't even know if it is the right season to dive.

If anyone can give any information I would be eternally grateful.

I need to get to some ground that is not shaking... and I need to get underwater to calm my nerves...

Thanks,

#2 decosnapper

decosnapper

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 11:15 PM

I went through an earthquake last night in Tokyo and decided that I had had enough and to get out. I am at the airport now and felt a quake about an hour ago... a small one though so probably an aftershock. Every hour so I feel the ground shaking slightly... and I feel one right at this second of typing (monitor is wobbling).

I need to get to some ground that is not shaking... and I need to get underwater to calm my nerves...

Thanks,

I don't want to scare you........but think you should know that Taipei is on an earthquake fault too........at least it was when I last went there.

But there is some good diving - no time to check myself, but there is a Wetpixeler out in that region who has shot images of corals.....have a hunt round the forum.

Good luck.
Simon Brown

www.simonbrownimages.com

#3 JKrumsick

JKrumsick

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Philosophy, various libations, light hearted debauchery, Chromatophores and the occasional tupperware party.

Posted 16 March 2011 - 12:25 AM

I don't want to scare you........but think you should know that Taipei is on an earthquake fault too........at least it was when I last went there.

But there is some good diving - no time to check myself, but there is a Wetpixeler out in that region who has shot images of corals.....have a hunt round the forum.

Good luck.

Thanks for the warning. I know that Taiwan was close to Japan and on a fault line... it was just one of my few options to go to. I just feel I need to get out of Japan to clear my head.