5 replies to this topic

#1 diver dave1

diver dave1

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts
  • Interests:chess, u/w photography

Posted 16 March 2011 - 05:10 PM

I have been considering an Inon view finder for my Nexus housing. Leaning toward the 45 degree and recalling reading pro/con reviews here for the 45 vs 180. With 50+ age eyes, I think it could be useful.
Next on my schedule is Kona diving with Manta's and Black water diving.
Would a 45 degree viewfinder be of benefit on these dives?

Currently I use the standard viewfinder that came with the housing.
thanks for your comments.

Nauticam D7000, Inon Z-240's, 60 micro, 105 micro, Tokina 10-17

www.shiningseastudio.com

#2 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1567 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:12 AM

I have been considering an Inon view finder for my Nexus housing. Leaning toward the 45 degree and recalling reading pro/con reviews here for the 45 vs 180. With 50+ age eyes, I think it could be useful.
Next on my schedule is Kona diving with Manta's and Black water diving.
Would a 45 degree viewfinder be of benefit on these dives?

Currently I use the standard viewfinder that came with the housing.
thanks for your comments.

For the black water dive, I would recommend the 180, unless you have lots of time to practice with the 45. If you don't then the 180 will be a lot easier since you point the camera where you are looking. For the mantas, looking up, the 45 is a lot nicer since the mantas are big enough not to lose them. I guess you should get both :) but if I were to get one, it would be the 180.
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#3 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2141 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 18 March 2011 - 03:46 AM

45! 45! 45!

The angled finder is so much more useful, and a little practice lets you line up wide-angle shots with ease. I find that a 60mm macro is also easy to use, but a 105mm tends to be difficult: I point the lens above the subject, and have to consciously bring the dome down to find the subject in the finder. This difficulty is offset by the ability to stay above the viewfinder, and off the reef or the bottom.

Tim

:(

#4 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1567 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 09:45 AM

45! 45! 45!

The angled finder is so much more useful, and a little practice lets you line up wide-angle shots with ease. I find that a 60mm macro is also easy to use, but a 105mm tends to be difficult: I point the lens above the subject, and have to consciously bring the dome down to find the subject in the finder. This difficulty is offset by the ability to stay above the viewfinder, and off the reef or the bottom.

Tim

Tim: I agree with you in general but specifically for the Kona black water dive, without at least 20 practice dives, I think you would miss most of the shots trying to get good alignment. I have both viewfinders and even with lots of practice, on the blackwater dive (bottom is 1500 m below so no worries) I take the 180.
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#5 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2141 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 19 March 2011 - 04:01 PM

OK, Bill. I won't disagree again. I've used the 45-degree finder at night, and in open water, but I have had several years of practice...

Tim

#6 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1567 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 11:05 AM

OK, Bill. I won't disagree again. I've used the 45-degree finder at night, and in open water, but I have had several years of practice...

Tim

The practice shows, the Red Sea pics are very cool.
Bill

Bill
www.blueviews.net