GoPro Acquires Cineform

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mary Lynn

Mary Lynn

Video Expert

• 299 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 11:39 AM

GoPro has announced that they are acquiring Cineform. This is very interesting!

Welcoming Cineform to their team, GoPro also announced the development of a new codec for HD and 3D work called ‘GoPro CineForm’ which GoPro's press material states will "emphasize GoPro’s commitment to developing professional content capture and editing solutions."

This significant corporate acquisition of Cineform may explain why we haven't heard a whole lot from GoPro until now about their HD 3D development since their 2010 NAB presence last April where they showcased some fantastic 3D material captured with a cool little GoPro HD 3D rig.

When I spoke to one of the GoProHD folks at NAB last year, I was told that the 3D clips they were using for their demo had been edited using Final Cut Pro and Cineform Neo3D.

And on this note, the press material goes on to state that GoPro's first new product to be released incorporating Cineform's technology will be a "3D HERO® System, an expansion accessory for GoPro’s 1080p HD HERO line of cameras. The 3D HERO System allows consumers to combine two 1080p HD HEROs into a single housing to capture synchronized 3D photos and video."

This acquisition may turn out to be one of the cooler 3D shooting and editing developments of the year!

- Mary Lynn

#2 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 09 April 2011 - 10:54 AM

This was announced a few weeks ago and sent out in a great many advertising emails and in the newspaper. Now to study the workflow for Cineform.
Steve
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#3 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 09 April 2011 - 04:36 PM

This hit the front page already, but I reviewed the system (including software) a few days ago:
http://noodletron.com/2011/460/
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#4 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:15 AM

Great article Eric. The shame of it all, at least for the immediate future, is that making a 3D film for festivals and such is not too plausible unless the organizers are prepared to hand out 100's of the glasses. It would be cool if they did tho
Steve
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.